Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Riding near Oxford
  • Pz_Steve

Hi everyone.

I've got a couple of days to myself staying in Oxford, and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some decent riding within 30 – 45 minutes of the town? I'm supposed to be staying with (non-riding) friends, so I probably oughtn't go for a full-day schlep, I'm just trying to work out whether to take my bike with me. I live in West Cornwall (think Dartmoor with more rain and less space), so I'd just be really happy with an hour or two of different, fun riding. Obviously, wooded singletrack would be perfect, as we don't do trees down here!

So what do you think, should I take the bike or not?

Thanks! Steve

singletracksurfer

Shotover wood/country park (Headington i.e. east oxford) is good for a quick laugh (not technically allowed to ride all the trails tho but people do).

Otherwise a quick trip down the M40 to the Chilterns (Stokenchurch way).
    Lots of tress and singletrack around them there parts.

Is gpx file any use?

badnewz
    Free Member

Has to be Shotover. It's a wood, it has bits of singletrack, and you get a panoramic view over Didcot power station.

gazc
    Free Member

shotover as above, used to ride there all the time when i lived in oxford. from memory head up the road to the car park and keep to the right side of the hill, used to be a little jumps spot over the far side as well. otherwise chilterns, maybe get an old mbr routecard for the area or route off the web

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Pz_Steve – deffo take your bike, as mentioned above, Shotover is literally a 15 min spin from the city centre, great selection of little trails & singletrack for riding on the doorstep. If you're visiting mid week there's good mtb club rides on Tuesday evenings. If you're willing to drive 30 mins then the Chilterns offers exceptional wooded singletrack riding.

gazc – long time no see, how's tricks with you? 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Chilterns has loads around Stokenchurch/Christmas Common/Princes Risborough/Wendover/Tring.

I'm based in Tring and could certainly point you at some hiller stuff near Wendover or flatter, tree-lined buff singletrack in the Ashridge park.

Otherwise Aston Hill is only a 45 min drive and has a wicked 5 mile singletrack loop, as well as the DH runs.

Dr_Bakes

Oxford to Watlington takes 20min in the car and there are some great rides to be had into the Chilterns from there. Shotover gets busy with walkers at weekends so depending on when you're there it might be better to head for the bluebell woods of the Chilterns. They're fantastic in the dry!

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

And from Oxford you are only about 50 minutes from Swinley Forest too. Clearly you will be spoilt for choice. 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

Radley woods is also quite fun and fewer walkers than Shotover, more scenic to get to as you can reach it partly using the river towpath.

johnny

Shotover? for an hour maybe. There are a few trails around Boars hill for an hour or two, and it's very easy to get out from the city centre.

Far and above all of this would be the Chilterns. There is some great riding heading out of Watlington. The triangle between Watlington, Marlow (-ish) and Henley is the pick of it, within easy reach of Oxford at least.

Riding around there a couple of evenings aweek usually if you want to email. (in profile)

gusamc
    Free Member

S A34, off at E Ilsley, park in village(it's a hugeish squarish roundabout with a wide bit), sort of oval ride from there, out due E, the N to Ridgeway W, across A34 far as you want and the sort of SE sort of E to E Ilsley

Pz_Steve

Everyone… a huge thank you.

Will be taking my bike, a map (no GPS sadly) and a sense of anticipation at the thought of riding through trees rather than my usual gorse/heather combo…

Cheers! Steve

Jim_R_Allen
    Free Member

Hi Steve,

Just read your article in the latest mag and it sounds as if you had a good couple of rides. Where did you go in the end, I live near Oxford and am looking for some good places to ride.

Thanks – Jim

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

jim_R_Allen there's some good riding in the Chilterns and a group that go out on Tuesday nights around Oxford, Boars Hill, Shotover way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Oxford’ is closed to new replies.