Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding near (ish) to Salcombe
  • joebristol

Hi there, does anyone live near Salcombe and know if any reasonable mountain biking near there?

Off there in June with the wife / baby / dog / in-laws and if I can fit the bike on the roof rack next to the roof box I want to try and get away one day for a bit of cycling (this maybe optimistic).

Ideas?

I’ve found Gawton gravity hub with 2 centres, but going full on dh on my own probably isn’t a great idea. I’ve got a trail sort of bike and get down reds at BPW ok, and down the dh at Cwmcarn (but not in style), but I’m not s dh’er!

Is there anything easy to follow on a map / worth riding on South Dartmoor? I guess I’d look to do about 30- 40k max.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Coastal walking is fabulous if there is no room for the bike. You could even meet family somewhere for a pint/lunch/afternoon tea and they drive you home.

Del

you’re a bit in banjo country down there, but once you hit the a38 your options open up. plenty of riding from plymouth area, or alternatively bovey tracey for east dartmoor. if you want to bat round something haldon forest has red and blue grade trails, easily followed, though the reality is they’re both blue grade. off piste there too but you’ll need a local to make that work effectively for a one-off visit.
    post up nearer the time when you know what you’re doing and i imagine someone will be prepared to guide.

jam-bo

anything decent is probably an hour from salcombe unless you do some cheeky coast path.

Lustleigh cleave would be my choice for the next of dartmoor. I did this yesterday:

https://www.strava.com/activities/817009492/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1483204550

joebristol

Haldon Forest looks like the one – thanks for that suggestion. Whilst it won’t be mind blowing it’s a spin out somewhere different whilst away. About an hour yah according to google.

Thanks guys.

Coastal path walking not my thing – although the dog makes it more fun as she’s nuts.

jam-bo

Haldon is easy, but it’s far from the best Devon has to offer.

jruk
    Free Member

Something to factor in when planning a trip is the impact grockles will have on how long it takes to get out of Salcombe. The A381 isn’t what most people would call an A road, so throw in the summer traffic and it can be a PITA getting out.

That said, there’s some awesome riding on Dartmoor and as Del mentioned, if you post closer to the time I’m sure someone will be able to show you the unmarked stuff at Haldon if you fancy that.

joebristol

Thanks – maybe I’ll revive the thread in May and see if anyone about. Only issue is it maybe mid week rather than a weekend.

Has anyone got any experience of Gawton? Sounds like one track isn’t ridiculously technical, then there’s another set of woods a quick spin away that’s covered by the same pass (I understand you have to pay to be a member for the day). How does it compare to say the reds at BPW for difficulty? I’m ok with maybe a 2′ high drop off and very small doubles ( i.e. Only a foot gap or so to clear), but I’m not going to be clearing huge gaps.

Hoping to do an uplift day at BPW in April (new baby allowing) and maybe get sone jump coaching around then so I maybe more skilled by June.

charliemort

i’ve done a circuit from salcombe over on the ferry to east portlemouth / east prawle then kingsbridge and back. there’s a fair number of bridleways on the other side of the estuary. not very technical but pleasant enough.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Funnily enough these popped up on Facebook earlier (STWer)

[video]http://youtu.be/RlXktiipZyU[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/X3YsCI4klBQ[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leave the bike.

Buy a nice picnic, including some sweets from Cranch’s, obviously.
    Hire a Dory at Whitestrand.
    Tootle across to the proper side of the estuary, Millbay or Sunny Cove would be my pick. The former has very, very good memories for me.

Get to the beach, picnic in the sun, enjoy it.

Tootle back to Whitestrand, drop the boat off and go for ice cream on Island Street. Perhaps a cheeky couple at the Ferry, too.

Yes, there are some bridleways around, it’s true, but it’s far better on the water.

deadkenny
    Free Member

jam bo – Member 
    Haldon is easy, but it’s far from the best Devon has to offer.

Indeed. Not close to Salcombe, but is a self contained trail centre. The on piste is fairly motorway though off piste has some fun. Above vids are mine from other day 😀 , nothing amazing. I was just pootling about so doesn’t do it justice. Some better steep switchback stuff there, but camera battery ran out before then. Good job really as was mincing down the stuff really.

Parking isn’t cheapest but okay for a day in the area.

As said, Lustleigh is a place to check out. I’ve only had a scoot round once on the bike and needs much further exploring, but nice round there. Careful with the weather though.

Gawton is a prime DH spot and seems pretty serious stuff really. Tavi woods is next door and offers much more I believe. Cann Woods also and others in that area. Again I need to explore. I know little else bike wise down there, despite being where I grew up.

Devon is a big place but if you find yourself over towards Exmouth, Woodbury Common is worth a look.

I’ve got a book called The Good Mountain Biking Guide, that shows a load of xc/natural riding about south Devon. Includes various bits dotted around Devon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding near (ish) to Salcombe’ is closed to new replies.