Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding near Bridport
  • flashes
    Free Member

I have a use it or lose it weeks hol, so may be renting a cottage near Bridport. Are there enough off road loops to make it wortwhile for the week?

flashes
    Free Member

What nobody peeps???

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Very limited I think. I’m sure there must be a few odds and ends…. Woodbury Common is the nearest place that I know that has good selection of off road stuff and thats an hour drive away. That said there’s got be some pleasant quiet country/coastal roads if you enjoy that kind of riding…. I don’t think you’ll find much gnar!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Possibly puddle town woods …but it’s also a bit of a journey…Haldon forest is about the same distance …?
    Or just take the pug buy a map and have a mooch about

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

You should do a search on here, it’s usually asked once or twice a year. Search for “Weymouth”, pretty sure that’s come up in the last 6months.

Stay away from Broadchurch (West Bay) area at night – proper dodgy around there 😉

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

A mate of mine was down there for a few days last June.
    This is his email copy & pasted verbatim 😀

Well, that was a pretty hard 20something miles!

Not awfully friendly, the farmers in these parts, judging by the large number of missing/damaged bridleway signs.

Chased by a doberman, backtrack due to ploughed up field and no sign of bridleway, wrong turning due to missing signs and an extra unmapped track leading to a long wander in a waist-high meadow, backtrack due to nasty-looking bull in field, no coffee and cake unless I paid garden entry fee to Ford Abbey, fell off in a stinking swamp (that entirely my own fault!), stung by nettles, bitten by horseflies, long detour due to impenetrable bridleway, entire route hilly, mainly steep……..

On the positive side – fantastic views, complete solitude, sunshine, a screaming fire-road descent, some nice technical bits, some singletrack.

All in all a brilliant day out, classic English mountain-biking! Saw no other cyclists and only one tyre track.

GPS would have been invaluable!!!

el_boufador

There is stuff there, I have friends down that way and went out early and cheeky, just guessing the route, there is nothing specific I would recommend but it was a good ride. The coastline is incredible. Get yourself on strava and take a look at what segments there are. Also I think there is stuff in the good mtb guide

swillybey
    Free Member

Symondsbury xc loop?

flashes
    Free Member

Looks like I’m taking the Pugsley then. I’m looking at the possibility of squeezing the road bike in the car as well, as I have a mate in Weymouth and an Uncle near Sidmouth I could visit.

Symondsbury xc loop, I will investigate………..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Bridport’ is closed to new replies.