Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding kit spending as a percentage of your actual bike spend
  • billysan
    Free Member

A few of us were having a debate whilst riding on saturday as to how much you should spend on your cycling specific kit, not including the bike. There were 2 obvious schools of thought: Those who have a very expensive bike, but only budget to mid range kit. And those who have a middle range bike but good kit.

By kit I mean cycling clothes, helmets, shoes, lights, hydration packs etc etc.

My take is that I actually get more enjoyment from having high quality high performance kit than having the absolute cutting edge bike. Nice kit makes the actual riding a far more enjoyable experience. Having just done the sums, my kit adds up to 170% the cost of my MTB, but there is some roadie kit in there too.

What do people on here think?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No idea about spend ratio, but I’d agree that decent clothing makes way more of a difference to your ride than say xtr over lx, carbon bars etc.

cp

similar to you really in that I certainly find spending the money on kit makes such a difference to comfort levels, though no intention of doing the calc!

Sometimes cheap kit is good, though most of the time it’s not. I really don’t get on with any of the Aldi stuff – just doesn’t fit right. I’ve just ‘invested’ in some decent dhb stuff from Wiggle – and it’s in a different league comfort and fit wise.

plumber
    Free Member

I wear what works for me irrespective of cost. some kit is expensive, some not.

At a guess 50% of the 4 bikes I’m currently running

Plum

njee20
    Free Member

There were 2 obvious schools of thought: Those who have a very expensive bike, but only budget to mid range kit. And those who have a middle range bike but good kit.

I’m in the third group, expensive bike and nice kit 😳

I keep kit a lot longer than bikes though, in fact I don’t think I’ve bought any notable bits of kit this year. I’ve also only got 1 MTB, but have 4 helmets, 5 pairs of sunglasses, and at least 15 pairs of shorts, so it’s not really a fair comparison!

montylikesbeer

jeez, I didn’t think it was that much.

Below is only stuff I ride with, I haven’t included buff’s and merino stuff I use for walking.

My riding kit is 27% ish of the bikes value (orange 5 pro)

Lights: £300
    Pack/bladder: £65
    Shorts: £45
    Top: £40
    Socks: £8
    Shoes: £40
    Knee pads (no laughing at the back) £75
    Helmet: £65
    Jacket: £100
    Glasses: £30
    Gloves: £30

GW
    Free Member

0% I suppose
    I think cycling specific kit is fairly irrelivent as long as you’re comfortable riding the bike (haven’t bought any new riding kit in a few years and never buy ther latest gimickey clothing, instead I only really replace clothing when it dies, I used to go through aboout 4 pairs of gloves a year but have given up wearing gloves now.
    I s’pose my main 4 bikes(have 8 in total)might be deemed “very expensive”.

yunki
    Free Member

fourth group…. hair shirt brigade here..

mid range bike with reliable parts.. I own a midrange helmet.. some bargain gloves and some £8 padded undershorts as my only cycling specific kit..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding kit spending as a percentage of your actual bike spend’ is closed to new replies.