Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Riding Jacket
  • steveo48
    Free Member

Hi All,
    What with Xmas just around the corner, i’m going to treat myself to a new jacket, at the moment i use a north face windstopper type, not really cycle specific and not that warm.
    Can anyone recommend a jacket thats both warm, waterproof, and cycle specific. I’ve seen an Altura night vision evo on Wiggle, anyone got one and what do they think? And as they are not cheap i only want to buy one once.
    Thanks
    Steveo

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Not keen on the Evo NightVision – they’re waterproofish, but not warm. They’re just a hardshell.

Endura Stealth ticks all your boxes – but they’re about £160.

Or… you could trawl around Outdoor shops/websites and find something suitable-although-non-bike-specific. I find Berghaus do good stuff, but there’s plenty to choose from. The good news is you’ll find a lot more clearance/odd-size/odd-colour discounts on this kind of gear and it’s all pucka.

MoreCashThanDash

Picked up a NIght Vision Evo yesterday – my old Nevis died on the ride into work and Evans caught me at a weak moment when I needed something to get home with last night! They price matched it to £84.99 in the shop against Merlin – JE James are showing them at £75 but none in stock.

I’m quite impressed – great reflectivity, hasn’t leaked in a blizzard this morning, warm enough with two long sleeved base layers under it today as well in just below zero conditions, survived a slide across black ice and tarmac unscathed on the way home tonight, so tough enough for me.

I’ve not tried it in a total downpour and I can’t really comment on breathability – imo, no jacket is completely waterproof and breathable unless you are looking at really silly money.

Is the Evo worth more than the standard Night Vision? Not sure – the hood is an additional item and seperate cost, the velcro on rear light is an interesting gimmick, the main reason I went for it was because it was bright red and I thought it would stand out better in normal light than the grey/black/blue other Altura jackets, and I don’t like Hi-Viz yellow as it always fades in the wash – so yes, I paid £20 extra for a slightly better specced jacket because it was red.

And I like Altura as they are generous with their sizing so I can buy stuff that is Large and not XL, which helps my fragile middle aged ego.

leffeboy

I’ve had two night vision’s now and I love them for the combination of fit, brightness an d waterproofness but they don’t last. I use them every day for commuting and the zips on all the pockets seem to give in within a month (even the supposedly fixed zips). Still love the jacket although the next one will probably be a Stealth

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The Nevis and Night vision are brilliant vfm but agree that they don’t last. My Altura Reflex was also superb but it died when it was reproofed. Even sent it to Nikwax for a proper lab reproof and test but its lost all breathability. Replaced it with a Stealth two weeks ago and so far very impressed. Coped extremely well in the worst conditions I have ever cycles in last week. I run in it too. Gets slightly damp but then any jacket would when running four sub 7 min off road miles. Great jacket!

darkgr33n
    Free Member

Mat – did Endura email you back regarding the stories about the seams-coming-loose issue ?

I’m still umming and ahhing about jackets, but the stealth does look tops. I’ve also been looking at the Endura Venturi II eVent jacket, but it doesn’t seem as popular. Anyone know why ? A search on here reveals 13 posts that mention Venturi, which doesn’t seem a lot.

According to the specs:

Endura Stealth:
    Waterproofness: 10,000mm
    Breathability: 5,000gms

Endura Venturi:
    Waterproofness: 12,000mm
    Breathability: 28,000gms

So Venturi is supposedly 460% more breathable …

br
    Free Member

Stealth here, now entering its 4th winter.

iainc

slight hijak, sorry – those of you with Stealth’s – do they stand up ok to the washing machine cycle and do they loose any waterproofing effectiveness ? thanks

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dark – they did get back and just said wash at 40 degrees with a non bio powder and drip dry only. Re-proof every half dozen washes if needed (I will be VERY cautious doing this after ruining a perfectly good Altura Reflex with Nikwax). I’ll be washing mine as little as possible but it’s bright yellow so bound to get grubby.

I looked at the Venturi too – the Stealth was a better fit and I needed a bright colour (wife’s orders!) so it rules it out. I liked the feel of the Stealth too – silly reason to buy something but it all counts!

darkgr33n
    Free Member

Mat – Thanks. Yep, the feel of it is definitely a plus! I’m just thinking I’d like something that was 3 season, whereas a lot of the reports of the Stealth say it is pretty warm. Great for the weather at the moment, but I think I’d prefer to add another layer for the extra-cold, but still have the option of running it in the spring/autumn with a light-layer underneath. Once the snow has subsided a bit, I’ll get down the local LBS and see if they have them in stock.

Cheers

darkgr33n
    Free Member

bah, local LBS doesn’t stock Endura.

Anyone have a Venturi they love ? not sure what the difference is between the original and the Venturi II either ..

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dark – the “normal” one is eVent, the II is their own three layer PTFE (I think) stuff. I looked at both but neither were bright enough! PTFE meant to be more breathable.

Does seem odd that they aren’t more popular.

darkgr33n
    Free Member

Mat – Thanks for that. I saw PTFE and assumed eVent. duh. Found a couple of mag reviews, mostly good, but one did its a bit uncomfortable to wear with short-sleeves as it can get clammy. Stealth being a softshell doesn’t have that problem I’m guessing.

Perhaps my assumption that its too hot for 3 season is as unfounded as my fabric faux pas.

iainc

as an alternative to a £100+ softshell, how about a jersey like the Endura FS260 and a cheaper shell with pit vents ? similar cost all in and possibly more versatile ?

gamo
    Free Member

Mat for reproofing the stealth i use nikwax softshell proofer,
    its a spray on so your not going to affect breath-ability as the
    wash in proofer’s can!
    Stealth jacket here on its third winter and still great!

Paceman
    Free Member

+1 Endura Stealth

Original one used for 3 seasons now in a range of conditions, still performs faultlessly. A no-brainer in my opinion.

Seems expensive but well worth it. Fine in the washing machine if you follow the garment instructions.

iainc

do the Stealth’s stay waterproof with age and washing ? have toyed with idea of getting one but am of the ‘old school brigade’ of base layer, jersey and shell

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Gamo – brilliant info – thanks!

Another plus with the Stealth – big zippable vents x 4. Two on the torso section just under your armpits, two on the arm sections near armpits. I open mine fully for running and vary them cycling depending on how cold it is.

Off to buy some spray on proofer…

iainc

Mat – keen to know how you get on with the proofer please. Thanks

darkgr33n
    Free Member

i’m also looking at the Gore Alp-X III Jacket. i’m sure i read a few dodgy reports somewhere that originally put me off, but can’t find them now. totally different beast i know, but my last Gore has seen me through 8 years, so longevity isn’t an issue.

hmm, or Gore Bike Wear Xenon SO.

jeez, i just can’t decide!

Blower
    Free Member

thought the Gore windstoppper was cycle specific

edd

I have a Venturi II, I’m wearing it now infact (just back from my commute) and I love it, breathable and comfy. What more could you want?

darkgr33n
    Free Member

blower – do you mean road specifc ? alp-x is an mtb/cross cut and i do do both. do-do 😀

edd – thanks for that. i couldn’t find many real-world reviews

steveo – have you made your choice yet ?

steveo48
    Free Member

Well darkgr33n, nop i haven’t, good info though, its looking at a Endura Stealth, or Endura Venturi. Looking at going to a bike shop tomorrow to see them in the flesh and buy one or the other, thanks to those that posted they thoughts.

Soup
    Free Member

Bought an Altura Night Vision (not the evo as it’s £30 cheaper. Although not warm, I’ve been riding with a short sleeve base layer and a long sleeve base layer (both very thin) in temps of -5 with quite a fierce wind and was not cold at all. I would highly recommend it. Lightweight, not bulky, packs up quire small and for me it’s a really good fit. Really happy with it. Up until now I’ve always gone for something thicker and once 30 mins into the ride have found myself too hot.

Well worth a look if you ask me.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

Not cycle specific but Ultimate Outdoors are doing Rab Drillium event shell jackets at £100 down from £175. They get good reviews and I think a few off here use them. Have a look:

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/c/ALL/browse/Rab_0_44_24.html

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Riding Jacket’ is closed to new replies.