Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • riding influences?
  • jedi

who has been your greatest influence in mtbing?
    mine is dan cowan, the grandmaster of north shore and the shapes he builds just blow me away.
    matt hart from torq and gramham neale too.

druidh
    Free Member

The folk I ride with.

I've no idea who these folk are that you've mentioned – much as I have no idea who any of the MTB "celebrities" are. I never watch videos or owt either.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wot Druidh says.

I have no idea of who any mtb celebrities are either

ton

those crane blokes were a inspiration to ride mtb's……their kili thing and journey to the center of the earth were ace reading.
    but a bloke i rode with in the crc/rsf when i was a youth was truly inspiring.
    places he got to on his old galaxy were very impressive.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Most wild birds, maybe I'll get a tattoo of a wing on my forehead, maybe I won't. It's my forehead.

coogan
    Free Member

No one.

jedi

who says they have to be celebs?????

Doug
    Free Member

+1 for Dangerous Dan and Super T. Love riding the steep stuff inspired by the NSX films from about 5 onwards with 6 & 7 being my own favourites. Whenever I see something barely ride able I always think back to them talking about that one of Digger's creations saying you could just put a picture of it in the dictionary to describe Crazy. Thinking about Will Craig really helps me get my head in the right place after injuries and then get on with riding.

jedi

nsx6 rocks! teh flying circus should be re built and in a museum

Doug
    Free Member

nsx6 rocks

Love the kid on the tricycle paying absolutely no attention to Chris Donahue at the end of his section. 😆

jedi

when i saw the ridiculator it blew me away and i knew i'd ride it one day

Doug
    Free Member

Must get over there myself before I finally stop bouncing when I hit the ground although I suspect most of the big stuff has been taken down by now.

loddrik
    Free Member

Who cares…

Been riding a bike since I was 5, My influences are me. Grown men shouldn't need influences to ride a bike 🙄

Jedi, I guess you must be 16…? (and proudly wear your 5 tens)

jedi

so no-one influenced your riding loddrik? 16 with 5 tens, how did you guess???

Euro
    Free Member

5×10 = 50 (+16) = 66

He's 66 years old then? (and still says Rocks! :wink:)

No mtb influences that i'm aware of, but I had posters of Eddie Fiola (opposite side one hand – one footer), Brian Blyther (smoothest bike rider ever? doing a big floatie floater) and Josh White (pulling a monster one footed grizz) on the back of my bedroom door as a kid.

Aidan
    Free Member

Douglas Mawson. He's not a mountain biker, but he knows a fair bit about not giving up.

jam-bo

Peaty – for being at the top of his game for so long.
    Sharki – cos following him down some quantocks singletrack and watching the chaos unfold is something everyone should see.

Luke – my mates 9yr old lad who rips. Eats, sleeps, breathes biking.

loddrik
    Free Member

Kenny dalglish, that's who influenced my riding. What a ridiculous thread….

white101

My dad was a semi pro roadie 60/70's and put me on a bike from the off, never looked back.
    Can't say I'm really influenced by anybody in particular, but I am mighty impressed with the skill, effort and determination riders show to make it to the top of there field.
    Lucky sods, riding all day 😉

forgotmename
    Free Member

Tony, wot about skippy, surely he was an influence 12yrs ago? I dont have any1 that im influenced by in cycling world, but in the skateboardin world of the late 70's early 80's id say Tony Alva, Jay Adams,Steve Cab, but then i was a teenager and easily led. Saying that gettin a day out with Wade did give me a hard on.

druidh
    Free Member

forgotmename – Member
    Tony, wot about skippy, surely he was an influence 12yrs ago?

I thought he was older than that. I don't recall him ever riding a bike though.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – hang on…

Blower
    Free Member

Tomac..

forgotmename
    Free Member

Funny, ok, Martin Newman was a geezer with the nickname Skippy, and Tony used to ride with him, and who i would personally think was an influence to Tony, correct me if im wrong Tone.

sharki
    Free Member

I fail to see how the chaos i create can be an influence Jambo.

GT is going to get some chaos next Thurday.

Not sure really if i've been influenced much TBH. I feel like i'm missing out now. 🙁

jam-bo

Cos it never fails to make me smile. You gonna have time for a quantocks blast before you head south?

jedi

Gaz, Yea for sure but it was matt and graham before that really set the ball rolling. Paul, ian, stophe etc have all influenced my riding.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Biggest influence on my riding is you Jedi. Changed it in a massive way.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not really. I'm kinda inspired by the landscape and the kind of trails we have locally is a big influence on my (lack of) style I suppose.

Maybe my mate Rich – I like his bl00dy minded determination to climb any icky climb and tolerate the downhills until the next icky climb 🙂

keyses2

Jedi 😀 (and the Malvern Hills)

jonb
    Free Member

Biggest influence on my riding is pretty much a swear word on here. Got me back into riding at University by lending me a bike and showing me the "local trails".

Not really a big fan of videos and biking celebrities, I find most videos don't really match with what and why I enjoy riding.

matt_outandabout

The people I ride with.

The guy who started me off – 64, classic road touring cyclist who took me on a tour of Lakes passes at 13.

Lester Noble of Orange – went out with him and the Orange crew from Ullswater Yacht Club in 1991 for a wee ride and was blown away by how fast they were and how much fun they had.

The guys at Barcaple in the late 90's

sharki
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    Cos it never fails to make me smile. You gonna have time for a quantocks blast before you head south?

Quantocks or the moor.

I may even be fitter by then. (:

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Firstly trying to keep up with "mountain bikers" – whilst I got fit.

then

keeping up with "mountain bikers" and surprising them with my fitness as I don't look very fit

then

overtaking "mountain biker"s – when I was fitter – but still looked unfit – even more surprising though

not reached the point after that when hopefully I'll be able to overtake "mountain bikers" cos I'm fit and look fit.

I've a way to go for that one.

Celeb wise, Peaty, Cedric, Rachael are the ones I like to watch but can't say I'm influenced by them.

matt_outandabout

I also forgot McRoy, Warner and others in that free MBUK video…

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Thomas Frishkneckt……..

mimi123
    Free Member

Dan Atherton and my Hubby!

mimi123
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    Kenny dalglish, that's who influenced my riding. What a ridiculous thread….

You have influences in you life all the time no matter what for they are there – whether you think its true or not you will have at one point or more compared your riding to that of another – therefore you will have been influenced!

No shame in it mate! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In no particular order – JMC, Ned, Andy Pegg, Paul Hinton, my friends, Nick Craig, Tim Davies, Tomac, Nico Vouilloz, Anne-Caro, LeMond, Fignon, Robert Millar, Claudio Chiapucci, and so many more.

gothandy

I know it's not cool or anything, but last year seeing Lance, Wiggins and Peaty all doing their thing in their late 30's gave me enough ooomph to spend some serious hours on the big through the winter and has really made me love my mountain biking again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘riding influences?’ is closed to new replies.