Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Riding In The Falklands.
  • oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Right Guys im off to the falklands for 6-7 months starting in may.

i am going to take a bike out there but im not to sure what to take.

its either my Santa cruz Nomad or my Ns Society SS.

any one ever had a ride there before? any advice would be helpful

shaun

nasher
    Free Member

plenty of nice bomb holes to ride?

…..i'll get my coat…

higthepig
    Free Member

I'd take a geared hard-tail if possible, you'll bog down a full suss and spend ages cleaning it, especially as you hit the heights of winter!!
    Enjoy while you can, I'm off to hot/sunny place for 6 months, I won't be taking my bike……….

markfu
    Free Member

I was there a few years ago, didn't ride, but did a bit of running. I didn't see any trails per se, but tbh we didn't really get out of MPA much. It's fairly hilly and there could be some good riding to be had on mt Usbourne i suppose. I don't remember seeing a single tree while i was there though, and it was constantly blowing a gale. Got up one morning to 2-3" snow and got sunburnt while out running in the afternoon, 4 seasons in one day was invented for this place.

Edric64
    Free Member

Land mines?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Great, i was planing on riding from the block down to work (7 miles, 460 port troop)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Should i buy a decent camera as i want to take some-loads of photos when im out and about (penguins). i have a £30 digital jobbie but its a bit poop.

i do like photography but i havent got a clue on where to start.

higthepig
    Free Member

A decent camera would be good, the scenery and wildlife is fantastic, but there are only so many penguin photos you should take!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

ill start another thread about the camera.

I think i like canned worms any way 😉

kimbers

just make sure you dont go into the wrong field……..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8564061.stm

Gephaudio
    Free Member

Remember there is no bike shop in Stanley so take as many spares out with you as possible, tyres spokes gear cables and brake pads. If you go to the garmin website here
    http://connect.garmin.com/feed/rss/activities?feedname=Garmin%20Connect%20-%20gephaudio&owner=gephaudio
    there is a couple of rides posted.
    Also go tp JSEOD, Hillside Camp, at Stanley to get the latest minefield map, although they are in the process of clearing some of them.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Thanks.

renton
    Free Member

mate i am going down in july and will be working in coates armoury and was thinking of taking my bike down too!!

perhaps we could start up a club down there!!!

email me if you want a chat.

cheers

steve

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If your working down at Mare Harbour, then You'll have to commute on the only Tarmac road on MPA…

The PRI had a few hardtails they where hiring out last time I was down there..

Youd be better off being dropped at Kent/ Tumbledown and riding back to MPA..

Or ask theDororon nicely, and see if you can get Brintails to drop you off at North Arm, or somewhere, and then ride home???

Oh and July??

The weather will just start getting worse….

And it will be blowing a **** Hoolie.

Permanantly.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Might Be worth ringing your section downthere to see if they all ready have some bikes there. Last time I was down the gym had some Spec HArdrocks down there you could borrow. There is a Off road track that Runs parallel to the Mare harbour road nothing exciting. There are some bits of single(Sheep)track that go from mare harbour near to were your building is/was to Bertha's beach (Not the Main trak that the Land rovers use)However it is may and the weather will be Shite. There won;t be much wildlife when you get there but come Aug Sept it all starts to kick off My Personnel recomendation is to go to the Neck at Saunders Island Gentoo, Rockhopper and King Penguins, Plus Albatros and Elephant Seals I did 2 days R&R there Fanbloody tastic. Have fun

saladdodger
    Free Member

sorry to inform you lads that are going to the FI in our SUMMER but for you it is fugging horrid as it is the FI winter. I know I did 4 months there from july to october, pack yer winter kit and some

Sorry lads

BTW s/s in the answer due to reliability as another poster said there are no bike shops for spares

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

im still going to take my bike out with me. even if i dont ride it. it will give some motivation to ride when i get back to the UK

4ags4
    Free Member

Got to say it would be comical watching anyone try cycle down the mare harbour road (or any road?? for that) at that time of year – the wind will be ridiculous and you'll be lucky to stay upright!!!!

Gephaudio
    Free Member

Well re the wind, if cannor hear it you know it is going to be a hard ride back. There are various 'road', you will find Stanley the 4X4 capital of the world. Goose Green and Darwin are good, further East you go flatter the land gets. 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Riding In The Falklands.’ is closed to new replies.