Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding in Scotland – Advice for first timer
  • fastracker
    Free Member

I am hoping to get out more in Scotland this year with a few weekends set aside for it. The only thing is i feel a bit overwhelmed with choice and don’t know where to start. I would really like to get out on natural trails in the remote places, where i could either bivvy out or sleep in bothies for the weekenders.

I am used to riding round the Lakes so have some experience, i can navigate fairly well too so not worried about being really out in sticks.

Anyone ridden this type of stuff that could help me get started? Many Thanks

CaptJon
    Free Member

Apparently there is some good riding in the Cairngorms. Pack your widest mud tyres and leave your mark.

murderburgh
    Free Member

it’s all rubbish

billysugger
    Free Member

8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Various routes from and around blair athol. Beinn a ghlo circuit, (glen tilt) Mainly doubletrack but feels reamote and a long day out

Glen tilt / geldie burn / glen feshie gets you right out in the wilds.

Corryairack pass

druidh
    Free Member

There are a couple of really good guide books, including the Kenny Wilson one (if you can find it). They’ll give you some route ideas. Keep your eyes on forums like this one – and use the search function – for more.

Plan a few one-day routes first so you get the feel for the different conditions and you learn what a dotted line on an OS map might actually translate into.

Have a look at the Bivi thread for kit ideas.

Consider hooking up with other like-minded souls.

Join the MBA.

Garry_Lager

The offroad adventures website here has several of the classics up. (Site was dormant for a while but looks to have been updated).

markd
    Free Member

make sure you still have 6 months free on your passport too

mikewsmith
    Free Member

change your money at the border, boil the water and take all your own food!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you can’t get the Kenny Wilson book which is probably the best guide, the Wild Trails book has a lot of the same or similar routes in it.

13thfloormonk

Re-adjust your sense of humour slightly, so long as you can enjoy an hour or two humphing through trackless bog in the rain*, you will enjoy yourself anywhere in scotland, just pick an area, buy the map and choose your route. You sound better equipped for it than I am yet I’ve managed quite a few 2/3/4/14 dayers and made it back in one piece!

I posted a couple of stories about my first forays into remote scottish stuff on my blog ianezzi.blogspot.com and if you click my user name and check the ‘threads started’ section, there’s a few more stories.

*this is of course the very worst case scenario, there is also miles of beautiful trail and the sun occasionally shines!

anjs
    Free Member

Dont go in summer if you can not get on with midges

Trekster
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Scotland – Advice for first timer’ is closed to new replies.