• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ReallyOlderGit-spam.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding in Norway. Anyone been?
  • nedrapier

Taking 2 weeks in July, car with bikes and camping stuff, arriving by ferry at Kristiansand, driving up Atlantic coast road into fjords and mountains, Stranda area.

That's pretty much it as far as our planning has gone. Does anyone know of any great areas to head to for riding? We're both on xc-ish hardtails so stuff towards the "sweet singletrack" end of the spectrum rather than the "Alpine Gnarlcore" end.

Cheers!

stuartm555
    Free Member

the only riding i've done in norway was scary stuff like this!

i've got a friend in Bergen who will know of more XC stuff if you're going to be in that area?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

There was a regular on here called Daryl IIRC?? that lives there…

stevomcd
    Free Member

There was a cool article in Dirt a year or so back about a bike park in Norway. Think I've probably binned the mag though.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Hafjell seems to be the place to bike- we're heading there in the summer.

nedrapier

Cheers all.

Stuart, that looks interesting! I'm sure the photo doesn't show quite how steep it is, either! Are you allowed to tell me where you were?

We'll be going past Bergen, so if you could put me in touch with your friend, so I can email hiom a few questions, that'd be great. email's in profile.

Ta!

chakaping
    Free Member

Mountain Biking Europe book has sections on several Norwegian bike parks and areas for riding.

clicky

GEDA
    Free Member

Have you took out some loans? It is very expensive, so expensive they come to Sweden for a cheap place to come shoppping/get booze and it is 5 pounds a pint here! So take any booze and food you need. I think you may be able to camp where you want for free (Check as this is how it is in Sweden but not sure about Norge)

Very pretty though.

nedrapier

I've got the Mountain Biking UK book, and I was hoping it would have more stuff about natural (non trail centre/jump spot) trails, routes and areas. I'll see if I can find that book to flick through in a bike shop, though. Does it say much about riding outside built trail centres?

I think the riding we're looking for is a reflection of the holiday we're after: getting away from it all, exploring, covering some ground, "My god, look at that view, we haven't seen anyone for ages and can you believe this singletrack?" kind of a thing. Rather than getting sick in the bike park, which I'm not so good at and and my girlfriend even less so.

nedrapier

Yeah GEDA, it's not going to be cheap trip, but the priciest bit is going to be the ferries over. We're going to be bringing food and and drink over with us, free camping (the free access rights to non-fenced land include right to camp for up to 3 nights), not eating out much and largely steering clear of cities.

I'm getting quite excited, actually. I've spent a fair bit of time on Google Earth checking out photos. Even the streetview ones look stunning!

stuartm555
    Free Member

that photo is on an old DH track from the top of this gondola:

http://www.ulriken643.no/

I'll put you touch with my friend in bergen but he's getting married in colorado in july so there's a good chance he'll not be around you're there!

chakaping
    Free Member

That book is more about bike parks and manmade tracks, will say if XC riding in area is good but maybe just give the name of a trail or suggest a local guide/shop to ask.

nedrapier

Congrats to him! A wedding in Colorado in July sounds awful! 😀

Wasn't expecting be shown around, just some pointers would be great.

Cheers Stuart,

Ed

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Norway. Anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.