Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Riding in mud?
  • tails
    Free Member

jesus was hard work today was going sideways just riding along. I'm a bit of a fair weather rider anyway but like to get out a bit in the winter.

So how do you keep the bike pinned when riding in the mud?

benji_allen
    Free Member

Staying loose and relaxed helps. Can be hard at first, but it does help. Also makes you less tired.

pinches
    Free Member

on climbing bits, i find its best to pick a slighly lower gear than normal and keep it digging!

on the descents i tend to make small smooth inputs, try and stop it all getting out of shape.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Going uphill in mud is just hard. Down can be fun if you stay low and loose and go with the rear wheel slides. Pressing into any kind of sides to the trail become very useful for staying on track. I'm just getting into it more myself and am enjoying this winter's riding more than previous years.

Oh and have soft tyres to as it helps with grip and shedding.Have fun!

mutley

what benji said, plus a set of trailrakers

never failed me on chilterns chalk or ridgeway slime

cullen-bay
    Free Member

training in mud is the best time for me, i love getting out in it, and becuase i go riding in it so much, i've become a lot better at riding in it.

just practice and it becomes easier. or faster. pick one.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Falling on squidgy mud isn't too bad either. Unless there's rocks in it.

tails
    Free Member

chilterns chalk

I remember riding in that stuff with some magura HS33, so much mud my wheel stopped turning.

I don't think it helps that A) my bikes to small for me and B) I put gears on it.

Right I'm off for a pint.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I'm looking forward to mud again after the nightmare of slush today! 🙂

Kiril
    Free Member

The secret is Good tyres!

Smee
    Free Member

Look further along the trail that you would normally do. And fire the power down before you get there.

thomthumb
    Free Member

may i be the first to say;

mtfu!! 😉

benji_allen
    Free Member

Just been for a night ride. Really muddy and slidy. But it's a good way to learn as you have to go with it really, as you can't always tell what's wet and soggy. Had a couple of hairy moments. Give it a blast if you've got lights, then come summer you can thrash the trails big time.

If you hurt yourself it's not my fault though 🙄

anopinion
    Free Member

Would have to agree with Kiril got myself a pair of Maxxis High Roller 26 x 2.35" Tyres and the difference in the mud is unbelievable 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

did you have slicks on before ? 2.35 high rollers would be one of my last choices in real mud

maybe that why people complain about mayhem ….trying to use tractor tires…1.8 tires for winter. glorious to ride in all weather – from snow to mud

cullen-bay
    Free Member

2.1 medusas for me, used to like nevegals, but from now on its medusa town….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Riding in mud?’ is closed to new replies.