Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding in Halifax, no, the other one – Nova Scotia question
  • m0rk
    Free Member

I’ve got an opportunity to work out in Halifax on the horizon, and pretty much before working out all the economics – my wife needs to know she can get rid of me for hours at a time.

So what’s the riding like? Doesn’t look really hilly, or mountainous, but then I live on the south coast of england… So not used to big hills either?

Any ideas / hints / tips? I’ve done the strava check, and some youtube searching

Thanks in advance!

m0rk
    Free Member

Nobody?

C’mon – I’m going there in a couple of weeks for a look about (but probably not enough time to rent a bike)

Raincheck
    Free Member

Can’t help with the riding. But a few years ago I did a fly-drive holiday in Nova Scotia. Loved it. I thought Halifax was a great place.

SaxonRider

You’re in luck! I lived in Halifax for 4 months back in the 1990s, and even used my bike as my primary form of transport. So, a few thoughts, even if they are not directly related to your question:

1. The city is awesome. A bit like Cardiff, it is super friendly, on the sea front, and has a fantastic music scene.

2. The sea is gorgeous. If you like exploring coast and the minutiae of a shore, then you will hardly do better than walking along the edge of the Northwest Arm. Starfish and other fascinating creatures abound.

3. Who needs mountains when you love to ride? You’re talking about Boreal Forest to explore! Black bears to avoid! Lakes to cool off in. Flippin’ heck, Nova Scotia is practically heaven!

I know that doesn’t directly answer your question, but the prospect of moving to one of the nicest places on earth, with more opportunities for riding than you can imagine – both in the city, and out of it – with interesting history, and breathtaking beauty, only puts me at a loss as to where to begin.

m0rk
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

I have four ex-colleagues who’ve moved out there (and recommended me). Those pics make me happy and especially your words about it SaxonRider 😀

Flying two weeks today

SaxonRider

You will, of course, have to familiarise yourself with Stan Rogers (especially the story behind ‘Mary Ellen Carter’), and visit the Lower Deck daily for the mussels, the beer, and the music. (It’s right beside the ferry dock.)

In the meantime, here is a rather wistful Nova Scotian classic by the great Gordon Lightfoot:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaE9vlrhX-k[/video]

gribble
    Free Member

I have not ridden there, but worth trying to find a recent article in BIKE magazine (US based). Made it look a cool riding Destination.

m0rk
    Free Member

Wow, this place is epic. Spent the day with a realtor driving about ‘dream houses’ for half what we paid in the UK for ours.

Trekked about a bit today to see well outside the so called ‘suburbs’… Also found a LBS to talk about what kind of riding etc is around locally

Interview tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

SaxonRider

Best of luck. Keep us updated on how things are going. And have a bottle of Keith’s with a plate of mussels at the Lower Deck for me.

m0rk
    Free Member

Job offer rec’d – just making the terms a little more ‘european’ rather than north american and it’s all looking good

Letting agents round the house this week to give us some idea on rental value, then I can get back to looking at houses

SaxonRider

Nice location! Are you tending to stay beyond Bedford Basin? And where will the job be?

m0rk
    Free Member

Bedford / Fall River is the preference at the moment after some pretty extensive driving about when we were there

Work would be a few hundred metres north of the Macdonald Bridge, water side – so road access is pretty good that way

solar
    Free Member

I lived there for almost 2 years, just recently moved back. Go along to the bicycles plus mtb rides, great group full of friendly riders, they go out weekly. The valley also has some nice riding, did a skills course out there with Michelle and Ryan – Trailflow. Great instructors with lots of patience. Good luck

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Halifax, no, the other one – Nova Scotia question’ is closed to new replies.