• This topic has 32 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bol.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Riding in east anglia
  • juan
    Free Member

What to expect? How flat it is?
    Cheers

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

nothing. very.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Flatter than a witch's tit

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Flatter than a squashed hedgehog ?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Very flat. Thetford is a good ride as its all offroad and demands constant pedalling so fitness will rocket up.

BigJohn

Best place in the country to find six-fingered riding gloves.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Flatter than your mum ?

david_r
    Free Member

Very dull, very flat, very windy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the highest point is 128 m HIGH get your downhill bike ready for the GNARR

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Road biking or mountain biking? I think there's some trails in Thetford Forest. I grew up in Suffolk and remember some small hills. It kind of undulates in places but generally it's very flat. There are lots of nice quiet country roads. Although it's flat it's a nice part of the world. Fewer hills= bigger skies.

porterclough
    Free Member

It's so flat I get vertigo every time I go there, it feels like you might fall off the planet if you don't keep hold of something.

andytherocketeer

Always ride W or SW on the outward leg of a loop. That way the wind blows you all the way home. Obviously check the prevailing weather first 😉

starseven
    Free Member

If you want to get a lift up a hill then let gravity bring you down EA may not be the place for you.

If you want to ride some good singletrack or competitive xc races in a comparitivly rural and pleasant bit of the UK give it a go.

You can also save a fortune as anything other than a SS hardtail is overkill.

ourmaninthenorth

Getting a job in Cambridge then Juan? 😉

verses

Starseven +1

As well as Thetford there's Tunstall too;

Homepage

Esme
    Free Member

Elyot: I met her on a house party in Norfolk.
    Amanda: Very flat, Norfolk.
    Elyot: There's no need to be unpleasant.
    Amanda: That was no reflection on her, unless of course she made it flatter.
    from Noel Coward's 'Private Lives'

BigJohn

Andytherocketeer – it's not the prevailing weather you need to check, it's the weather on the day of the ride. 8)

The prevailing wind is always the same,

Jamie
    Free Member

…on the plus side even when your 30 miles from home you can still see your house.

nasher
    Free Member

the most boring place is in anglia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/1600225.stm

verses

nasher – Member

the most boring place is in anglia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/1600225.stm

Since when has North Lincolnshire been part of East Anglia?

flange
    Free Member

Well I was born in North Lincolnshire and now live in Suffolk so feel well appointed in commenting on this.

Suffolk is Rubbish, Norfolk not much better. Lincoln beats them both. I was nearly tempted to put an offer in on that Trek Session in the Classifieds before I remembered where I live. Seriously, if you're moving there buy a road bike and get ready for time trialling.

njee20
    Free Member

Is it not just some ruse so you can come on here with your cock in your hand, saying how awesome you are because you come from somewhere with real mountains and how we should stop calling bikes ridden over here 'mountain' bikes?

nasher
    Free Member

Since when has North Lincolnshire been part of East Anglia?

Oooops sorry.must read it properly first

Im sure I read somwhere that there was a square km with absolutely nothing on it…

wiil go look

juan
    Free Member

njee no it's not but there is a job offer at the university of east anglia 🙁

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Im sure I read somwhere that there was a square km with absolutely nothing on it…

Yeah I saw it on the news. There's a km square and it has virtually nothing marked on it and it's in North Lincolnshire.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

East Anglia is a flippin big area, want to narrow it down a bit?. OK, no mountains, but there's good stuff to be had if you know where to look

bol

There's some good singletrack in the grounds of the uea. We do a 25 mile loop round Norwich linking up all sorts of nice flowy woodsy stuff. No there aren't big hills or rocks, but it can be good fun. Plenty of playing to be done on mousehold heath in Norwich too. Some hillier, more technical riding out near the coast at backton if you're with people who know where to find it. Thetford doesn't set the heart racing, but it gets better the faster you go. You'll have to come and try out the trails before you decide whether to take the job.

rocket
    Free Member

Just moved to Cambridge from Bristol. Its frickin flat here. Try and put mountain biking out of your mind whilst here (so you don't go mad with frustration) and convince yourself that a road bike is as much fun, in a different kind of way. I'm undecided. The other half tells me of the dramatic sky scapes and beautiful Norfolk coastline nearby – we'll see…

Have heard conflicting things about thetford (its great, no its crap) and fear being ridiculed for being over-biked on a heckler (its my only bike guv, I used to live somewhere where the suspension did something, honest..) Woburn and Chicksands aren't too far away and have some man made features by all accounts.

Big-M
    Free Member

No, nothing here, it's shit, stay away. We don't want anymore bikers round here please move along, there really is nothing to see. Go oop north where there are mountains it'll be right up your street.

Thank you.

What ever you do don't go and ride the single track along the North Norfolk coast it too is really crap.

jedi

herts shore 🙂

AverageMark
    Free Member

bol, if juan won't then i wouldn't mind taking you up on that, short train journey away for me.

bol

By all means Mark. A couple of us are heading out on the loop tonight at about 7.30. Drop me an email if you'd like to come. Speak to the guys at Streetlife in Nelson Street if you want to hook up with some people to ride at Backton on a Sunday morning.

bol

By all means Mark. A couple of us are heading out on the loop tonight at about 7.30. Drop me an email if you'd like to come. Speak to the guys at Streetlife in Nelson Street if you want to hook up with some people to ride at Backton on a Sunday morning.

Yeh, Big M, there are far too many Scots down here using up our terrible landscape already. 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Riding in east anglia’ is closed to new replies.