Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding in Croatia
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Hello there – so we are off to Hvar, in Dalmatia, in March/April (Easter weekend).

We are staying with family as they have a house there…….anybody know of any decent riding (MTB) to be had please?

Thanks,
    Mark

Simwit

Hi Mark, it’s Simon from darn sarf. I can’t answer specifically for where you’re going as we were riding on the more northerly Krk & the mainland but if those 2 are anything to go by then expect rocks, rocks & more rocks. Stunning country though, I would happily go back.

Moses

If it’s anything like either Brac or the Velebit area, there will be lots of gravel roads and donkey tracks to ride on, away from the main tourist centres.

BigJohn

I’ve never ridden anywhere as steep as Croatia. There doesn’t seem to be 100 yards without a bit of 1 in 4.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Simon – my BiLs’ wife is croatian-austrian……and they only know of fire tracks (but great views)…..but they did say there was a high mountain there…….but unsure whether to bother taking my bike os simply hire a HT when out there….

Simwit

Mark, a quick peruse ot t’web threw up these YouTube clips. It looks as though there is some singletrack of sorts there so it may well be worth taking your bike

https://youtu.be/3dZokVKQ6Ok

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Is there anyone from here from Hvar with a gpx of some decent singletrack?

we have been to St Nichola on mainly double track and feel we must have missed the good stuf??

cheers

stompy

I live here/there….. Not done much riding on the coast but spent plenty of time there. As above, it is rock and gravel. Plenty of forestry mountain tracks, donkey tracks and fire roads everywhere…. As long as you are respectful you pretty much have freedom to roam….. Think about where you are going though and make provisions. It is hot and dry in the summer, heat from the sun above and rock below can get on top of you quicker than you think….

It is mountainous so can be very upy downy, mainly the Velebits on the mainland, the islands less so. Roads will be busy so stay clear, all tourist drivers who have no idea where they are going so are pretty aimless.

I’ll speak to some local Croat mates and see if they have any info on routes near to where you will be staying.

Get inland a bit, especially Plitvice lakes, and you will find more ‘temperate’ single track. I ride around Sljeme above Zagreb, it is great and the buses have bike racks to take you back up to the top…. You’ll only want to ride up it once.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Cheers.  We have done one ride out already and plan to go out again on Monday……..

temperature won’t be an issue !!

mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Croatia’ is closed to new replies.