Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding in Cambridge
  • neilmac123
    Free Member

I’ve recently moved to just outside Cambridge from just outside Glasgow and i have been looking for trails however I’ve had no success was wondering if anyone knew anywhere ? Very experienced rider so difficult is no problem, and anything will help

Thanks 🙂

chrischim
    Free Member

Don’t think there is any danger of finding anything difficult!
    Thetford is the best place in the area with loads of singletrack (some marked but lots more that isn’t) but no hills. Try http://www.timbermtb.org for more info.

neilmac123
    Free Member

That’s great thank you very much!

bigbloke
    Free Member

45 minutes will get you to Chicksands, 50 mins to Woburn trails, head out to Pirton near Hitchin in the hills round Barton. Find Sillygrin on Facebook too local to Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire riders usually have a ride or two going on.

http://www.chicksandsbikepark.co.uk/

http://woburnbiketrails.co.uk/

theraggyone
    Free Member

As mentioned above , your best bet is chicksands or woburn for bike park action Or thetford for some fast tame xc loops . I try to get to chicksands once or twice a month and i ride thetford for fitness. All you have round cambridge is flat bridleways etc to explore really although south of cambridge has more hills

richmars

Best thing to do is a bit of riding on bridleways between pubs!

superdan

It’s been a while, but I remember some jumpy short trails tucked away in Cherry Hinton Quarry

oldnpastit

Quite a few bridleways, although some have recently been dug up for the A14.

Woburn is good. Thetford is flatter and there’s a fair amount of fun stuff off the waymarked trails.

Don’t forget, you’re only an 11 hour flight from Santa Cruz.

PM me if you want to hook up.

tommid
    Free Member

Where about are you? I grew up outside of Cambridge and know plenty of trails I can point out. If not Thetford isn’t far. I live in Norfolk now, but work outside of Cambridge, you can hook up a route pretty much all the way to the North Norfolk coast with ease.

tails
    Free Member

There are a few jumps and drops at cherry Hinton quarry. There are some dirt jumps on coldhams common, although they look like you’ll need some skills.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Plenty of bridleways with attitude South of Cambs – even some elevation!
    Try all around Wandlebury/Gogmagog Hill and also Linton. Some decent downs (and ups) the other side of Royston too. Plus, as Tommid says, you can hook up to the Icknield/Peddars Way track, and it will take you all the way up to the N Norfolk coast, or all the way down to the Dunstable Downs. Also, if you want to go further into Suffolk than Brandon/Thetford, you can have some fun in Tunstall Forest (10 mile waymarked Viking Trail is a blast) and in the forest and heath around Dunwich. Also Rendlesham Forest and XC loop around Alton Water.

So plenty if you’re prepared to be creative.

rocket
    Free Member

Yeah, Woburn, Chicksands and Thetford are the obvious choices. All about 45 mins drive. Night riding round Thetford can make it a bit more interesting. I’ve been riding a few bridleways to the south east of Cambridge (towards Bourn) on my cross bike and it’s made me realise there’s quite a bit of bridleways around, but haven’t found anything where I’d rather be on the MTB. I moved here from Bristol a good few years ago and ended up embracing the dark side.

Where you moving to?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Cambridge’ is closed to new replies.