Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Riding holiday to the Alps on your tod, anyone done it?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

I have quite a few riding buddies but none of them are that seriously into it. I ride pretty much every week without fail but in order to ride with someone they all sort of alternate who comes each time.

I have never been abroad riding and really fancy a week in the Alps this summer. None of my mates are really that keen for one reason or another so I wondered if anyone has ever gone on their tod to something like Flowmtb or Joy Riders?

Most packages seem to be catered for groups of riders which seems to be the norm. I pretty sociable and easy going so don’t expect I would have any problems getting involved but what are peoples experiences in the past?

cinnamon_girl

Sorry but no personal experience of going abroad. All I would say is that life is too short to wait around for people that might want to join you.

The last couple of years I’ve done solo holidays in this country and it’s meant I’ve been able to ride exactly where I want to, when I want to.

I would have thought there would be other single people on these trips. Go for it!

Special_ized_Jamie

Em I’m married.

Wife is happy for me to go away, she came along a last year when I went climbing in Italy and she does a bit too. When I went to do harder routes she just chilled in the Spa then we met up later in the day.

mk1fan
    Free Member

You could always post on here for holiday buddies.

We welcomed into our group a guy from Pistonheads who was doing the PPdS on his own last year.

Plenty of acommodation for the singleton available albeit for a premium in places like Morzine.

RealMan
    Free Member

Went to bike village a year or two ago, quite a few people who turned up on their own. By the first day everyone’s chatting like they’ve been mates for ages. Just do it, you won’t look back.

cinnamon_girl

Apologies Jamie. 😳

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I went to Joyriders on me tod a couple of years back. And had a great week. Joyriders are in Spain BTW, not Alps. Much better weather 🙂

There was a bunch of folk there that week who were all mates, and they took me in as one of theirs, so I picked up some new mates too.

Contact the company of your choice and see if they have a suitable week with a few others there. You’ll be absolutely fine, have a great week, awesome riding, great weather and food if you go to Sierra Nevada.

legend
    Free Member

the first 2 times i went out i was on my own as my mates only talked a good game about going on holiday (to magaluf and the likes!). Just head for a chalet type setup with guiding a you’ll have a grand time!

chakaping
    Free Member

Went to Spain on my jack jones for a guided MTB holiday and it was great, made some very good friends who I still ride with now. In fact we’re off to the Alps this summer.

Go for it, or post on here for other people with crap mates to go out with. There have been other similar posts recently I’m sure.

cynic-al
    Free Member

yup done it, it was good, I’d check the riding will be what you are after.

lucien

I’ve ridden solo in the Alps and self supported in terms of accommodation and food – I liked it – as CG says, means I can ride when, how and where I want to…..

Also been on cycling holidays as a solo and met plenty of other solo riders

Lifer
    Free Member

Singletrack Safari offer solo places but there is a £100 sub to cover hotel costs

SBrock
    Free Member

Jamie,

I went 2 years ago – I love it, I mainly rode on my own as I went with my sister & her partner they hired some bikes for a few days but were not into like I was. I spent 4 days on my own blasting down The Pleney & into Les Gets on my own, mostly people were pretty friendly.

I am toying with the idea this year, when are you thinking of going? I have asked mates but no one ever commits so I just go on my own.

It can be done a budget (go to supermarket on the way into Morzine and get cheap food/beer, in the evening have some beers at your digs then go out about 9ish to the bars…but they are expensive!

What sort of riding are you into?

Special_ized_Jamie

Decision made, I’m going.

I am in to all sorts of riding really. Pure downhill isn’t my thing but am OK at it much prefer long flowing technical descents. I hate using the cliches but All Mountain suits me as I have no problem with a long climb as long as the downhill is worth it.

No idea when I’ll go as we have no kids so not restricted to schools holidays etc. As long as the weather is good, the uplifts are running and I can get access to food and beer I’m more than happy.

Now that I am committed to going if anyone wants to join me I’m more than happy to meet up for some weekend rides prior to booking something.

Mackem

The riding you like sounds exactly what you’d get at http://www.basquemtb.com . Yes, i’m biased, it’s my neck of the woods.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Riding holiday to the Alps on your tod, anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.