Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • riding fwiends #2 – lancashire
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

hi, just moved from Manchester to near Clitheroe and left my riding buddies behind.

so interested to see if anyone can link up who fancies riding round Clitheroe region. I spose preferred locations are Dales, Calderdale, Lakes. I’ve worked out some okay forest of bowland rides but given there’s hardly any BW its tough going

I ride DH as well but ride trail mostly. Im late thirties and have been in da game (MTB that is) for years

globalti
    Free Member

Bad news, the Ribble Valley is quite poor for legal off road riding – i.e. bridleways. It’s mostly farm land, heavy going, lots of huntin’ shootin’ and fishin’ and the few BWs are not joined up like in Calderdale or the Lakes. You have probably already discovered the three BWs that go over the Bowland Fells.

If you head over towards Rossendale or the West Pennines or Calderdale you will find better terrain but that means you will have to drive. Have a look at the website for BAD as they have worked out some decent rides but none of them start or finish in Clitheroe. Good bunch of lads though. http://blackburnbikers.com/

TBH the Ribble Valley and Bowland area is better suited to road riding and for that it’s fantastic because of the huge variety of quiet roads and the fact that you can also head over to the flatlands of the Fylde. There are great cafes in most villages and very little traffic. If you want big hills you can head up through the Trough and places like Settle and Malham are within riding distance. If you happened to be around 6′ with an inside leg around 32″ you’d be welcome to come out for a blast one morning, you could borrow my son’s Roubaix SL3 while he’s snoring in bed, just a shortie to get the feel for road riding in the area. PM me.

Also nip in to the Green Jeresy and have a chat with Richard the owner because he’s got some good deals on CX bikes at the moment, which would be pefect for the area, which is 80% tarmac with a few lanes and BWs thrown in.

fingerbang
    Free Member

cheers mate, I actually road ride as well but commute on my roadie so don’t like doing it at the weekend so much. I know, Clitheroe is a mecca for road riding. thanks for the offer though 🙂

smokey_jo

Howdy, there’s some good riding up Longridge Fell if it’s not been too wet. You can either set off from Ribchester or Hurst Green.

There’s a fair bit on Pendle Hill but you’ll need someone to show you round as it’s mainly cheeky as is some of the Longridge Fell stuff.

Obviously you’re not far from Gisburn Forest too.

In the dales the closest rides to you would be the Clapham – Ingleborough Common – Austwick ride and the Settle Loop up to Malham Tarn.

globalti
    Free Member

Try Blackburn Bikers then. They like beer as well.

fingerbang
    Free Member

ta. Yeah I’d need a guide for Pendle Hill – any takers? it looks like the ultimate MTB hill, particularly the steep side near the summit but I understand its owned by ramblers or at least AONB non permissive etc

I rode the settle loop last week which is alright but threw in the weets top descent to calton and was massively disappointed

I’ll get in with Blackburn bikers if they’ll have me. I like beer

postierich
    Free Member

Bogtrotters Wednesday night Northern chapter we ride to drink, we never leave anyone unless its very close to last orders!
    There is a southern chapter but they are more shandy than beer!
    .wix.com/bogtrotters#!rides-list/c13ql
    Rich

Brainflex

Loads of cheeky trails tho, You need to find some locals to show you. Ask at the bike shops and give Gareth a ring at Burnley Cycle Centre, he lives in Clitheroe.

tomaso
    Free Member

Southern Wednesday night rides with the Boggies are all round Pendle and Darwen Tower and Longridge areas – have a look at the website Rich posted to or go on the FB page. Plenty of folk to show you round.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘riding fwiends #2 – lancashire’ is closed to new replies.