Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding from Inverkeithing into central Edinburgh over Forth Road bridge
  • geoffj

What’s the cycle track like down the side of the A90?
    I’m considering parking at the park and ride and cycling into town a couple of days a week, but Google maps doesn’t seem to show the cycle path down the side of the A90. Any users on here?
    TIA

Edit – just found Strava Heat map as the answer

Thoughts / comments on what the ride is like would be welcome though.

jamiep
    Free Member

this would be much more pleasant than following the A90 all the way. The standard route for our club runs out West from Edinburgh and back

fatmax

I only do the cycle path between Cramond and South Queensferry and it’s grand – you’re separated from the traffic. The cycle track continues through Barnton and Davidson Mains into town. I wouldn’t fancy the main roads into central Edinburgh.

kcal

mate does from Dalgety Bay to central Edinburgh most days.
    IIRC at SQF he turns in and round Hopetoun House, some lovely tracks and trails, then in through millionaires row in Barnton.

imnotverygood

If you are concerned about traffic the cycle paths can take you into Haymarket/Cannomills/Leith off road, and if you are coming into the West End Shandwick Place has a car ban. Outside town the path itself is in pretty good nick & has just been resurfaced east of Dalmeny. It seems a pretty popular commute and beats sitting in the traffic at the Barnton junction etc.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I used to do A90 all the way into town from Cramond Brig as it was more direct and quicker. If you’re riding at rush hour you’ll be moving faster than the traffic but you need to be confident and assertive. A90 gets noticeably quieter after Craigleith Quarry (Retail Park). Best combination of pleasantness and speed is probably cycle path to Craigleith then onto the road (there is a painted cycle lane from here most of the way to town). The off road cycle route from here to haymarket seems distinctly wiggly.

frood
    Free Member

As above. From south Queensferry you can go through Dalmeny and into Dalmeny estate which makes for a nice wee ride too. Then follow the cycle route through Cramond all the easy to Haymarket mostly off road or on very quiet back roads.

geoffj

Thanks guys

I just need to give it a shot and see what options work best depending on the time I hit Edinburgh – should be between 6:30 and 7:00

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

It’s a cracking wee path from NQ into the Roseburn Terrace and Haymarket.

There is a useful forum (if you can stand another!) http://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpress/

and a map

Edinburgh

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding from Inverkeithing into central Edinburgh over Forth Road bridge’ is closed to new replies.