Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Riding From Edinburgh to the Peak District – Recomendations/Company wanted etc.
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Next July/August I am riding (for charity) from Edinburgh to home (SK17). The aim is to do it in 24hrs setting off from Edinburgh after breakfast and arriving home the following Breakfast. I was going to do a 24hr MTB solo but the variables that i would have to contend with i.e. mud rule that out as a viable challenge.

I am going to get a lift up or train to Edinburgh and ride home on the road. I need ideas for a sensible route and also if anyone fancies riding any of it for company that would be great. Druidh/Monksie etc?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bump

Shorty121
    Free Member

I suggest back roads but that might be stating the obvious. I might pop out and cycle a few miles when you get closer to home

rob-jackson
    Free Member

really – where are you? that would be lovely

Shorty121
    Free Member

Taddington 🙂 But I shall be in NZ so might not be able to make it

rob-jackson
    Free Member

oh its you 🙂

still coming on 23rd?

we are out tomorrow – be at mine at 8:45 if you want a lift?

druidh
    Free Member

I must have missed this one earlier….

I’m happy to suggest a route. I did Buxton – Peebles last year as part of my LeJog and it would work as well in reverse, though you might know some better options in your neck of the woods…

We did;
    A624 to Oldham. Round Rochdale, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Hepstonstall Moor to the A56, Broughton, Gargrave to A65, Kirkby Lonsdale to A683, through Sedbergh to Kirkby Stephen, B6259 to Warcop, through the firing ranges to Dufton, pick up the B6142/3, to Brampton, A6071 to Longtown then the A7 to Langholm. You’ve then got the brilliant B709n almost all the way to Edinburgh.

I can obviously send a GPx file if you want it.
    Have you worked out how far it is? I might be interested in doing it too……

rob-jackson
    Free Member

a long way lol!! You are more than welcome to join me – for the duration? Bed and board here for you mate if you wish

ojom
    Free Member

Start from the shop if you like and we will provide some goodies for you to help with it all.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

271 miles

Shorty121
    Free Member

Rob – I am doing that nottingham and back tomorrow

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ah right- got a frame box here do you want it (plus a bike box)

br
    Free Member

There are a few offroad routes between Edinburgh and the border, for example:

Lauder to Melrose and then St Boswells to Jedburgh and onto the Border and into England – then I’m sure there are routes across to Hadrians Wall. Also guess once out of Edinburgh they’ll be routes to link up.

monksie
    Free Member

I’ll do it. Is 24 hours set in stone or see how it goes kind of thing? I reckond 18 hours? Anyway, sort that nearer the time. For now, I’m in.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

come on 🙂 24hrs is the aim but its fluid

wors

I did edinburgh to Bolton last month, we just stuck to the a7 and a6 to save on messing with maps etc. it was nt to bad really despite being on major roads. The horrific headwind was the killer though!

daftvader
    Free Member

would love to join you on that…. may have to start training!!!! plus will ask mrs vader if i am allowed. also my brother in law does cycle rides with the scouts (as support) he may be interested in helping… he is a blade tho 😆 will ask him when i speak to him next. you have my email so give me a shout

stooo
    Free Member

Hi,
    Route mention by Druidh above would work.

I did Innrleithen to Cheshire last summer on a similar route…
    A7 out of Edinburgh to just south of Gorebridge… Then turn R onto B709 and follow that through Innerleithen (where I started) to Langholm then back on the A7 to Longtown. …
    Then I carried on to Carlisle and then hopped on the A6. All lively until it got busier and flatter at Preston and Lancaster.

That was a 200mile ride, solo, that took my 14.5hours inc lunch and snack stops… And a couple of punctures.

Taking a more easterly route, I just road the A68 to Darlington on my quest for London from Edinburgh – 400miles in 3 days… Raising money for mental health charity, Mind.

There’s info on my challenge inc details on the route, and my training here. Biggestjourney.com

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I will ride the first few miles with you if you want. You got accommodation in Edinburgh sorted?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cheers TJ – no accommodation yet 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Righteo – then the best I can offer is an inflatable bed on my living room floor. You are welcome to it. You will have to remind me nearer the time tho.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thanks 🙂 there are 2 of us tho

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its a double bed 🙂 Or one can have the sofa or hopefully someone with more space will pipe up 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

genks!

monksie
    Free Member

If the group goes over 5 riders, I’ll drop out. I’m not great in large groups.
    No fuss though. I’m doing the End to End in four days at the start of next summer so I’m in or out of this one as fate dictates (if you know what I mean).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Only 1 rider so far steve and thats me!

glupton1976
    Free Member

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/859557

That of any interest to you?

jimmy

I’d take the Route 1 cycle path to stay off roads, on the coast.

Options to cross country through Yorkshire.

This is very tempting to ride from Edinburgh to home (2 miles from Brookfield…). If you want more of a team let me know.

monksie
    Free Member

Mint! I’m still in then.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Right the date is set!

Go up on Saturday 20th
    Ride Sunday 21st into Monday 22nd. Aim is to arrive back in Chesterfield (at my work and ride round the track) by 12pm

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Riding From Edinburgh to the Peak District – Recomendations/Company wanted etc.’ is closed to new replies.