Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Riding foibles
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I always have to say hello to cows, sheep and horses when I ride past them in a field. Not pigs though, for some reason I neither know nor understand.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I usually say ‘moo’ to cows & either ‘baaa’ or ‘Mint sauce’ to sheep. ‘Cluck cluck’ to hens too but I don’t seem to speak to horses.

ton

i always greet magpies, morning mr magpie, and spit 3 times.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(Feeling glad I’m not the only one!)

Esme
    Free Member

I once tried shouting SIT to a dog that was chasing me.
    It didn’t work 😐

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have been known to speak to cows in an adjacent field. I sometimes say ‘I hope that electric fence is working’.

cookeaa

I always have to say hello to cows, sheep and horses when I ride past them in a field.

I’d not thought about it but I do exactly the same… Pretty much every time. I have no idea why but I always have said “hello” to livestock as I pass on a bike. Weird…

scaredypants

I mostly say “get off the **** road, you daft bastard” – mostly horses but cows donkeys and sometimes pigs 👿
    (the deer, on the other hand, never really a problem)

off road I say hello to them just so they don’t suddenly run across the trail – dozy ****

Rorschach
    Free Member

I always ask horses if they like it
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA[/video]

scaredypants

oh, and “yo bear” too, now & then – just in case

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I always say good morning or afternoon to mr and mrs magpie, it gets ridiculous when there’s 10+ of them in one place

I always say FFS to ticks

aracer
    Free Member

So how come you don’t say “horseradish sauce” (or maybe “burger relish” – also applicable to horses) to the cows or “tikka masala” to the hens?

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Always say hello to the aliens that live in the bunker under the weird little building in the middle of nowhere on my local loop ( combination of too much x files and riding on military land) 😆

martinhutch

I always say hello to cows/bulls/naughty heffers. I think it helps them recognise you as human rather than a strange creature with revolving feet.

senorj

“Hello Mr Horse”,”hello mrs cow”.
    Plus I tap a rhythm on my shifters.

lunge

I always have to say hello to cows, sheep and horses when I ride past them in a field.

Yep, me too, only polite isn’t it?

MrNice
    Free Member

I always say hello to cows/bulls/naughty heffers. I think it helps them recognise you as human rather than a strange creature with revolving feet.

it works with horses too

whitestone
    Free Member

The court order …

Kahurangi

When I ride something that was a bit silly (on edge, too fast or just outright dangerous) I’ll celebrate with a massive WAHOO.

You may have heard me yesterday, I started a bunch of storms I gather 😆

kastle
    Free Member

I say hello to dog’s, as well as there human companions. This has led to many a odd look but, I like to think it stops them knocking me off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I shout “get out of my way” & “Shhhhh, Shhhhh” a lot to random Pheasants and Grouse in the lanes of Hampshire. Coorrr blimey they’re a bit dumb.

rocketman
    Free Member

Rarely speak to anything or anyone while riding although the other night I was enagaged by a group of 15 or so OAPs who were trying their best to walk down a descent that is my personal bit of Leogang without falling over

There was a bit of good-natured banter but some of them were like totally oblivious to everything and everybody, even their own companions

“Bike!”
    “Biiiiiiiiiiiiiike!”
    “BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKE!”

annebr
    Free Member

I always talk to the animals. 🙂

Even the pigs!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I always say hello and chat to livestock, in their own language obviously otherwise they would know what I was on about.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

nay at horses.. karaoke down hill, wave / nod at other road riders. I get more of a reaction / acknowledgement from the horse tbh.. must be the snobby locals round here.

D0NK

I hiss at geese on the towpath that are a bit close, seems to warn them off (had a few go for me in the past), “maaaaaa” at sheep, occasionally “moo” at cows and of course I bellow “**** OFF!” at out of control dogs that start to give chase, that normally sees them off.

Plus I tap a rhythm on my shifters.

you can hyper extend shimano brakes, I some times click out a rhythm on those 🙂

antigee

shouting “ride’em cowboy” on any vaguely exciting section of bumpy/lumpy stuff, too many B&W films when a kid i guess

ps I’ll leave now

molgrips
    Free Member

I have imaginary conversations with mates who aren’t there. Sometimes it’ll be talking about some bike purchase, but usually it’s describing the trails and telling them what to look out for and so on, as if I am guiding them around my trails for the first time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

annebr – Member
    I always talk to the animals.
    Even the pigs!

Weirdo.

phiiiiil

you can hyper extend shimano brakes, I some times click out a rhythm on those

I used to have Avid mechanical levers which made a very satisfying clonk when you let them go; I was always tapping out tunes on them. I replaced them with new hydraulic ones last weekend, so I’m not sure what I’m going to do to pass the time now…

steve73
    Free Member

I always have to make a whooooo noise when going under a bridge or through a tunnel. You have to try to get a good echo back.

tenfoot

I always talk to horses. They never talk back though, which is disappointing.

I generally talk to rabbits too. But usually only the ones who leap from the relative safety of a field, only to run across my path to get back to where, I can only assume, is what they consider safe coverage. Stoopid animals.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

oh and the obligatory “dinner!! ” at rabbits on the trails of which the little ones do a serpentine motion in front of the bike 🙂

ben98
    Free Member

“BaaaaaBQ” to lambs
    “I hate cows” to cows
    “*uck off” to rabbits that try and run in front of me
    And I talked to myself constantly about how I’m feeling, what’s up with my bike, the weather, the trail, basically everything.

medoramas
    Free Member

Most of the times I shout some dirty Polish words on them, with a smile – the livestock think I’m a nice gentleman while I release my life frustration 😆

I don’t smile to squirrels though. They are deadly mother******s.

lunge

If I’m on my road bike I also commentate to myself as it riding in the break in a Classic, the voice is always Sean Kelly, “he’s really on the rivet here”

stevied
    Free Member

Yep, hello to all the animals from me too. My mates think I’m Dr Dolittle 😆

I’ve seen, what I pressume to be, the same owl loads of times in the same area on night rides. He’s always greeted with an [Arnie ON] “Owl be back” [/ Arnie OFF]

jools182
    Free Member

I always say good morning or afternoon to mr and mrs magpie, it gets ridiculous when there’s 10+ of them in one place

You only have to say hello if there is one of them 😛

‘Hello Mr Magpie, where’s Mrs Magpie today’

yes, it’s ridiculous 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

you have good eyesight.

ChrisL

There’s a corner at Glentress called Cliff Richard, so I tend to say that when I go round it. The one after the one after it is called Molehill and it gets a name check too. I occasionally call the one in-between Innominate due to an in-joke from an entirely different time and place.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Riding foibles’ is closed to new replies.