Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Riding close(ish?) to Ilfracombe
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Going down for the weekend. We had planned a long but easy ride of bridleways and back roads to take in the sights, stop at a pub, etc. Looking at the weather a shorter but sweeter ride might be better. A study of the map doesn’t show much close by, anything within a short drive?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Cycle route 27 (Devon Coast to Coast) starts in Ilfracombe so if you want a mixed road / offroad ride you could probably string a loop together with that and some back roads without taking the car.

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/transport/cycling/leisure_cycle_routes/devon_coast_to_coast.htm

If it was me, I’d ride out to Lee and Moretehoe, then down to Woolacombe on the backroads. Along the coastal stretch of 27 to Putsborough (lovely beach and less crowded than Woolacombe) then onto Georgeham (Rock pub is really nice and does good food).Over the headland on the bridleway and drop down to Saunton to pick up the Tarka trail through Braunton Burrows and out to Crow point. Back to Braunton for a pint and then pick up the inland leg of Route 27 back to Ilfracombe from there.

For more challenging stuff, well you’ve got the whole of Exmoor on your doorstep. Some classic routes around Lynmouth and Porlock if you’ve got the legs for it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks for that, your route looks pretty similar to the one I planned. Not sure how much fun it will be in the drizzle so maybe Exmoor is abetter plan. Any tips for short but fun routes at the Lynmouth end?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be OK with the weather if you do it tomorrow. Sunday not looking so good though.

To be honest I’ve not ridden out of Lynmouth for ages There was a route out of Lynmouth in the mag a couple of issues back though.

Out of Porlock you can either do a loop up to Selworthy (great tea shop) and do the cracking descent down off Bossington Hill via Lynch combe.

Or out to Stoke Pero and back via Horner Wood and Doverhay.

Loads of bridleways in the area – just pick a route off the OS map, it’s all good but probably really wet at the moment.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

If the weather’s poor, you could stay in the woods around Lynmouth, or nip over to Horner / Porlock woods, plenty to choose from there.

matt22
    Free Member

Hi there I live in Ilfracombe and its tough to find public paths belive it or not, I head up the Tors staying high and down through Lee woods and back for a quick burst or over to Croyde around baggy point via the Tors and Woolacombe for a mid size ride Pubs are grampus in Lee, Red barn in Woolacombe and for the best Cream Tea or cake the sandleigh tea rooms at croyde side of Baggy .

As for Lymmouth get there early for free parking and to avoid the miserable walkers all telling you its a footpath as they did today and head to watersmeet then to Brendon/ East Lyn river. Its some of the best scenery in England, also Horner woods in Porlock and Simmonsbath to Tarr steps Dulverton in is amazing riding but i would avoid the higher exposed ground at the moment as its very boogy at the moment.

The coast path is short down hills, hike a bike up hills and not great for long ride stretchs, hope this helps and you enjoy your stay here its a great part of the world. If you need any more help just ask

Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Riding close(ish?) to Ilfracombe’ is closed to new replies.