Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Riding clipped in
  • cumberlanddan
    Free Member

What a palaver. Nearly went under a van in new mills today thanks to my ineptitude at a junction.

I think I’m going back to flats, convince me to persevere…

bob_summers

Never had a problem in years and years until Saturday, went offroad in Speedplays and clogged up the cleats. Managed to clip in but then couldn’t get out again at a T junction, in the confusion rolled into the road and caused an oncoming car to swerve around me 😳

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just keep trying, they are well worth it..

nickc

What a palaver. Nearly went under a van

Bloody hell!! hope you’re OK! 😯

you can loosen the pressure it takes to unclip if that helps at all?

imnotverygood

You get used to it. Although personally I only use cleats on road.

butcher

Clipping in and out becomes second nature after a while, to the point where I find myself trying to clip out of flats…

I’m in the minority that still prefers flats off-road, but on the road, and anything non-technical really, clipless pedals are great.

RepackRider
    Free Member

The spring in the pedal is adjustable. Adjust it.

carlos
    Free Member

What pedals are you using as some allow adjustable tension/release?

Good time to practice the track stand too

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

I’d say they’re worth mastering, and using on days when the extra ounce of effort really matters (like races) but generally stick to flats. They force better technique and you’ll feel the benefits of riding clipped in more if you generally ride flats.
    This is worth a read:

The Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto: How to Improve Your Riding With Flat Pedals

rickmeister

Definitely keep going…

Some cleats are reversible on the shoes and changes the angle needed to release…. Less twist would maybe help you

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

It sounds far more dramatic then it really was!

I’ve already loosened the screws as far as possible and i;ve even changed the cleat type – spds have an ‘easy to get put of version’. Cant remember the proper name and too lazy to look!

I only use them on the road bike after a reasonably spectacular bike over arse incident on the MTB last year. The only real reason I got them int he first place was curiosity and the need for waterproofing my toes!

Are SPDs particularly better/worse than others for adjustment?

Perhaps cleats and me just don’t mix!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

More practise on a quiet day/near a sofa.

if you’re using mtb spd pedals, try using the cleats with a big M printed on the cleat.

M stands for multi release.

Or just consider it bad luck one of 10000000000 normal rides you will have. Go for another ride with positive results to get your confidence back.

irc

Persevere. One or two SPD “moments” is just the learning curve.

My best one was a bank holiday weekend in a busy car park at Loch Katrine when I tried to almost but not quite stop to toss my banana in a bin and my ineptitude resulted in a slow topple sideways still attached to the bike with a large audience. Totally second nature now with no thought required when stopping and clipping out.

johnners
    Free Member

I ride with flats on and off road. Clipless don’t offer me any advantage and I can’t be bothered with them. You’re the only person who can decide whether it’s worth persevering or not. I’m interested in how they manage to waterproof your toes though!

imnotverygood

Don’t try to pull you feet up off the pedals as you twist. If anything push down and twist. The cleats are designed to stop your feet lifting off.

nickjb
    Free Member

You’ll fall off more with clips. Is that something you want to do? You’ll also have to start denying that this happens.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sympathies – I remember my first ride with spds and not knowing about the adjustments. After falling off for the umpteenth time, I was wondering WTF does anyone bother.

Many years later and I can’t imagine not being clipped in unless it’s a steep turn and I am in mincer-mode!

Stick with it!

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

The cleats don’t waterproof but it seemed the shoes available were better… I may have been misguided there!

Is it now I mention I’ve had them more than 2 years!

voodoo_chile

Persevere used clip less for 25 years now ,few scary moments at first but makes your riding easy in the long run

MartynS

I’ve ridden spd for ages..
    Go ride round the park practising clipping in and releasing. You’ll get the hang of it really quickly.

Alcopop
    Free Member

I cant ride with flats 20 years on clipless ,to me flats don’t feel right
    I much prefer being attached to the bike you just need to persevere ..eh and adjust

andysredmini
    Free Member

Stick with flats. Most people I ride with who ride clipped in use It as an excuse to not ride anything really steep, not do jumps and drops and it’s the reason they can’t wheelie as they can’t unclip in time if they are going to far back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

either preserve which is what i advise as it does just become second nature – no idea when i last used flats but getting on for 20 years
    Its either or that or stick with flats and instantly become as rad as that poster above and avoid being one of his mincing hanger ons

The decision is yours.

nickc

Agree about better winter boots though, there do seem to be better choices.

Although a descent pair of waterproof socks would probably help as well.

As for clips vs flats, I think once you’re used to whatever you choose, it probably makes **** all difference.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve already loosened the screws as far as possible and i;ve even changed the cleat type – spds have an ‘easy to get put of version’

this bit doesn’t compute for me, with Shimano SPD’s set on minimum tension I can’t stay clipped IN, you practically fall out of them when they’re set on the loosest setting. :-s

persevere if you want to, give up if you’re not that bothered, I tend to use SPDs when racing, flats a lot of the time when not.

I think once you’re used to whatever you choose, it probably makes **** all difference.

this ^ and if you regularly swap between both it’ll make even less difference.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

What they said. Until you have fallen clipped over in mud or a stream it doesn’t count. Tough it out.

andysredmini
    Free Member

You may not like it junkyard but that’s my experience. I’m quite happy with my rad skills.
    Also I have noticed that people that have ridden and played on bikes since being kids don’t need to ride clipped in or need the grippiest pedals available and 5.10 shoes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some great riders use clips some dont some prefer flats some dont

Clips alone does not make you a mincer nor flats make you rad

Everyone knows this so either offer some practical advice or troll

The decision is yours,

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve been riding clipped in since I was 11 or 12, and all I did back then was MTBing.

I like it, I’m used to it, and the pedals have got better at shedding mud and hence unclipping at a more predictable level of force. I’ve only ever had issues due to them when on very muddy rides before the pedals got better at mud shedding, um, and when going off the back when I was learning to wheelie!

That said, I practiced clipping/unclipping on the driveway a lot before I went out, and it took years before I was really used to them. I don’t think you were misled re. better shoes being available, but I’m sure you could find something warm and waterproof that was suitable for flats if you searched hard enough. If you don’t get on with them, that’s fine, just use your flats.

The only place you have to use clipless is on the velodrome, and if you need to unclip suddenly there something has already gone very wrong.

MartynS

You may not like it junkyard but that’s my experience. I’m quite happy with my rad skills.
    Also I have noticed that people that have ridden and played on bikes since being kids don’t need to ride clipped in or need the grippiest pedals available and 5.10 shoes.

Spd rider here, playing out on bikes since 5…

OP, there’s not any rules! If your really not comfy go back to flats.
    I have my spd’s quite tight and don’t struggle to get my foot out. It just becomes second nature. In out little group of riders I’d reckon we’re 50/50 clips/flats

As a fellow newmillbilly, what bike do you ride? I’ll give you a wave if I see you on the high street (or a hand up if your lying in traffic because some stranger suggested attaching yourself to your bike)

Wookster

I’d keep trying mate. Go have a bit of a play clipping and unclipping you’d be surprised how quick you will make it a habit!

on road treat it a bit like when you started driving where you’d be slowing down well you need to before a junction, so start to slow and unclip before you get there.

metcalt

It will take time to get used to them, The first time I used them I had a nice pootle round outside the bike shop, pulled up to stop and promptly fell over as I forgot to unclip, it will happen many times at first .

As Wookster says above, think about unclipping well before you need to. When I first started using them on the road I used to coast up to junctions, unclip the foot I prefered to put down on rolled up with that foot dangling until I stopped. After a while I’ve stopped thinking about it and ride as if I’m on flats.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

MartynS my MTB is a felt hardtail buy I’m a whaleyite so I’m usually off in the opposite direction…

Most of the advice seems to be give it time and it’ll come good. Well I’ve given it 2 years so I need a reason why it’s better.

Even on the road bike I don’t really notice much difference in ‘pedalling efficiency’.

Wookster

cumberlanddan – Member
    MartynS my MTB is a felt hardtail buy I’m a whaleyite so I’m usually off in the opposite direction…

Most of the advice seems to be give it time and it’ll come good. Well I’ve given it 2 years so I need a reason why it’s better.

Even on the road bike I don’t really notice much difference in ‘pedalling efficiency’.

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

Stop then! Life is too short for enjoyable things to be shite!!

iainc

Most people I ride with who ride clipped in use It as an excuse to not ride anything really steep, not do jumps and drops

…..yeah, I think Peaty said that at Fort Bill a few times too …. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well I’ve given it 2 years so I need a reason why it’s better.

THen stop as it seems you dont like it, dont see the benefits and cannot get used to it – none of that meant as a dig

We are all different and certain things just dont suit people

rickmeister

Think there is something about foot position, even when clipped. Some dh riders may help out here…

The Sidi shoes I use with cleats, the attatchment is under the ball of my foot. I’m thinking dh clips will be back more towards the arch of the foot, placing the shoe more forward on the pedal for the steeper stuff..

Yes ?

dragon
    Free Member

You are doing something wrong then, on clipless you have the ability to pull up, which is impossible on flats. Even Wade Simmons admitted he missed being clipped in, when climbing steep stuff.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

I didn’t say I didn’t notice it, just not much!

But is that the sole benefit or am I missing a trick?

I might try shifting the cleats backwards a bit and see if that helps. It’ll be an interesting experiment if nowt else!

Junkyard
    Free Member

two advantages IMHO

1 ) more power as you can pull up on the pedals

2) more control as you are literally attached to the bike

That said not everyone likes it and you dont have to ride clipped in use flats if you prefer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Riding clipped in’ is closed to new replies.