Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Riding boardwalk
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

I recenly found some boardwalk in the woods near my flat, it’s very well constructed (even if it does get in the way of a perfectly good bit of natural trail) but it seems a tad “large” for my liking – there’s a ramp and gap onto the first section that must be ~4-5ft across, and its not exactly in a fast run-up area. Add to that the fact that there might be chicken-wire on it but its still slippery as girl on motorbike.

There’s then some boring and easily rideable sections and then a second even larger gap. I could probably gap jump the rear in a trials fashion if I put my mind to it, but the idea is obviously to hit it fast and smooth. Fast and smooth on mossy wood instills images of death to me.

What am I missing, other than balls (it seems!) – I can’t even bring myself to attempt it because the potential damage is huge if I get it wrong or faceplant.

Thougths?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Seriously, the wood even with chickenwire is like ice – how do you get any grip?!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Its nothing without pics…

mattyh222
    Free Member

run 2psi and straight huck it.

if you fancy riding it, ride it.

if you dont…dont.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Its nothing without pics…

Did have a camera with me, didnt take pics!

mattyh222 – Member

run 2psi and straight huck it.

if you fancy riding it, ride it.

if you dont…dont.

Helpful that! Was looking for tips, not just a statement of the obvious 😉

AndyRT
    Free Member

I guess it’s like riding roots and gaps…most of the issues are in your head. Ride without worrying about what if and it’ll flow. Personally, I would start small and wear lots of armour!!! Try going to Esher North Shore and see how it goes…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmm think you may have a point there Andy – looking at it I saw some sections were originally dirt trails to the same shape and they’ve “recovered” the dirt and used it elsewhere, building the boardwalk to the same shape – I’m sure I could ride the dirt version without qualms. I think the wooden stuff just reminds me of so many face and fist first impacts with wooden bridges on my local trails where you daren’t even twitch the steering of you end up breaking knuckles and collarbones on the way down!

Just had a scoot round the Esher site, looks fairly small in comparison with whats in the woods here – its not higher, but it certainly like it needs to be ridden at higher speeds to be achievable.

I might just have to leave my brain behind one day. And charge the mobile, and take a GPS location for the mountain rescue…

carlos
    Free Member

Maybe have a look around at possible (crash) landing areas and clear away large rocks and logs, probably sounds stupid, but if it were me at least I’d know there is nothing hidden where I might just end up.

Also with AndyRT on the ‘it’s in your head’ and the start small + armour.

If your confident with jumping wait till it has less green and has more grip. If not, practice jumping the same gap at least or larger until you have the confidence to jump a ? ft gap without thinking, then wait until it is less green and has more grip.

My 2p

Carl

coffeeking
    Free Member

Think I’d best stick to dirt until the summer rolls round!

jedi

if its chicken wired it will be grippeir than bare wood

Mush
    Free Member

It’s a big help if you see other people (like the guys who built it) actually riding it. I was similarly intimidated by some of the stuff in my local woods when I first came across it but seeing the local regulars nailing things that I thought were nigh impossible without a second thought really helped me breach that mental barrier. Can’t say I’m much of a shredder now but I’ll give most things a go!

jedi

what stuff are we talking about?i may know it 🙂

Mush
    Free Member

not quite your neck of the woods Jedi, south west Oxfordshire. They have had a crack at building some north shore although the majority of the stuff is gaps, drops and what I call, doubles-with-consequences. While they do ride Demos and Big Hits it does nothing for my self-esteem that they are just a couple of guys with spades and some big cajones who should be doing their A levels. I’d show pics but they’re a bit sensitive about publicising the area.

jedi

deffo dont publicise it.
    mail me if you like?

tony1jediatgmaildotcom

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d love to get up there with the builders, not sure they’d be quite “in tune” with me though – I’m probably twice their age and with sod all (other than bikes) in common with them lol. I find people who build trails tend to be a little hostile towards new people finding their trails, maybe its just a feeling I get!

Mush
    Free Member

Don’t have any pics to hand but I’m off the bike at the moment – and for a few months yet – so I’ll take a stroll up there this weekend with the camera and hopefully catch them in action. If you can wait that long?!

Coffeeking, in my experience it was the opposite. The first time I rocked up it was clipped in on a 100mm hardtail and the guys couldn’t have been friendlier. I helped out a bit clearing a new line and avoided damaging their hard work and they were happy for me to have a go.

jedi

twice thier age???

if you came to herts that’d make you 80!

jedi

mush, i cant wait of course.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I saw one or two of the guys heading up there (I presume its them, full facers and armour etc) and they were fresh out of high school! I suspect it’ll be hard to meet up with them til the summer (work during daylight hours!) but I might risk introducing myself!

jedi

ride it. fix any breakages.

learn how to ride it.

if you’re anywhere near me come to herts shore and i’ll teach ya

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Riding boardwalk’ is closed to new replies.