Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Riding after ACDF? – looking for some positive experiences. .
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

Had a rubbish day yesterday where I was told to keep my neck usable I should avoid mountain biking (because of the rough terrain) and riding on road bike (because of the position)

I’m 44 and would actually like my neck to be as good as it can be. I have to be realistic (so I keep being told!) and accept that as I now have 3 fused vertebrae c5/c6/c7 with a ropey disc already at c4/5

Does anyone have any cheery tales about what they are able to do and what affect it has on their neck/symptoms.

Clutching at straws maybe but I love riding and bikepacking and want to carry on

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have a bit of a lie down instead?

There’s this guy……….

adjustablewench
    Free Member

A couple of people have suggested that, however I can’t see the neck is in a better position like that, it’s flexed rather than extended but I’ve been advised to aim to keep my neck in a neutral position where I can.

Aside from that it would be a bugger to fit on my bike rack and put luggage on

adjustablewench
    Free Member

OK maybe a little late in the evening for a bump – but it would be nice to hear of some positive experiences

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t know what any of your symptoms are, so I’m a bit confused. However, seems like riding a bike is not recommended so could you now try hiking instead? Also, how long before you are able to be back on the bike? During this lay off (if that’s what it is) I’d still be going outside on spirited walks in some tough terrain to both enjoy the environment and try to retain as much fitness as possible.
    Can you run? Try trail running, I do this occasionally now but I used to run 5 nights after work when in town a lot over in Greenwich Park off the paths, sort of cross country running, might help…

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’ve had two levels done in my neck they haven’t told me not to ride.

If I’m honest I take it much easier for fear of falling off and landing on my head.

So I can offer you positive experience of a two level ACDF – mines worked out fine. However, truthfully if they’ve told to not to ride you shouldn’t ride. Maybe get a bike with a very upright position and ride easy trails.

All of that said, you need a hobby to replace biking and in a few years you’ll forget you ever liked bikes. Focus on what you can do, not what you can’t.

vickypea
    Free Member

Glad the operation went ok, but sorry to hear what they told you. Does your fusion include bone grafts? Did they really mean avoid biking forever? I know necks are different from lower backs but I was told that I could do whatever activities I wanted to once the bone fusion had grown (about 7 months post-op). I’ve had to give up running though- too painful.
    Could you get away with riding a road bike in a more upright position so your neck is in a better position?
    Don’t underestimate how much an op like that can take out of you, even if you’re really fit. I didn’t really feel 100% for 12 months and even into the 2nd year post-op I ended up in a lot of pain twice from over-doing it.

Not sure that running is an option- that puts a lot of pressure on your spine especially on hard surfaces.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hi OP, very sorry to hear your news. Healing vibes are heading your way right now! 🙂

An Occupational Therapist (IANAOT) approach to this would be to adapt your tools to allow you to carry on with your preferred activity. As such there are bikes (like Dutch bikes) out there that would allow you to sit with your neck in a neutral position- they may not be fast but they will be comfortable! And if they allow to get outside and see the world from two wheels and under your own steam (which, at the heart of of it, is why we all love bikes, right?) then they may be worth looking into.

I know it’s a big change and an awful lot to take in and process right now, but everything that we have ever achieved as a species has always stemmed from our uncanny ability to adapt, right?

Stay awesome 🙂

adjustablewench
    Free Member

As I understand it the caution is due to the fact the disc above my 3 fused vertebrae is already bulging and pressing on the exiting nerves at c4/5. In an attempt to delay the time this needs surgery they are saying I have to stay of the rough terrain and watch the angles my neck is at whilst riding.

I’m not daft and know it makes sense . . .still doesn’t make it any less upsetting.

TiRed

Well I have one of the said trikes. And a well-functioning neck. Bought after my accident last year and they are great and bring a smile every time I ride mine. Catrike Villager mk1.

All of that said, you need a hobby to replace biking and in a few years you’ll forget you ever liked bikes. Focus on what you can do, not what you can’t.

There is always a way… Not all trikes are as laid back as the one in the first post.

vickypea
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that adjustablew. I can imagine how you feel.
    If it was me, I’d probably go for a road bike that allows you to ride in an upright position, if that wasn’t against advice.

Pigface
    Free Member

Not all trikes are as laid back as the one in the first post.

This, find someone to make something that suits your needs, is in Ben cooper on here who works all kinds of magic.

tjagain

IME medical staff often advise not riding bikes simply because they don’t ride themselves, don’t understand the benefits and so on. I’d be looking for a euro style tourer tho for a nice upright riding position

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I was sent to this physio specifically because she is a keen cyclist too

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Unless it’s just her cunning plan to nick some of my qom’s . . ..

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Listen to your surgeon / physio. They’ve seen the MRI’s and know how best to advise you. Fat bike opens up low speed low impact but interesting riding in a neutral position. Just a thought.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I have some 650b+ wheels for my stooge and they did help make things more comfy. Just need to get the angle right to make it usable

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Riding after ACDF? – looking for some positive experiences. .’ is closed to new replies.