Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ridgeway in a day
  • iamc2
    Free Member

I live near Swindon and would like to have a go at riding the Ridgeway in a day. I ride parts of it fairly regularly, and think it would be a good challenge. Probably in the spring, but might go for a winter ride with lights.

Does anyone have any tips in the following?

How best to get to the start at Overton Hill without driving or being driven? Ideally I would get a bus or similar, but doubt they take bikes…

Also, any tips on the best route for bikes once you get off the chalk and the bridle way along the ridge and head north east across the clay of the chilterns?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

jameso

Have a look at the Ridgeway ITT website for a route that doesn’t use the most contentious footpaths along the east half. A nice ride, can be a slog in the wet tho.
    I’ve ridden to Swindon station after getting to Overton hill but it’s not the most peaceful road.

cinnamon_girl

Is it essential that you start at Overton Hill? You could, for example, pick up The Ridgeway at Barbury Castle by using rights of way. Alternatively there is a disused railway path starting at Chiseldon that leads to Marlborough so you could use the A4 to get to Overton Hill.

DavidB
    Free Member

Ride down the Old Town railway path then along a small road over the M4 (cheeky) and up Elcombe Hill. Then pick up a track to Yatesbury from Broad Hinton. This will take you to Avebury via a section of NCN and a short descent to Overton Hill. In terms of buses you are stuffed.

In fact, I did that very thing this evening

https://www.strava.com/activities/748886251

iamc2
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ridgeway in a day’ is closed to new replies.