Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rides in the peaks / beacons / lakes
  • Flippinkipper
    Free Member

Hi,

Thinking of going for a weekends biking in either the beacons, lakes or peaks and would appreciate any suggestions on two good rides to do, one for Saturday and one for Sunday.

I think two rides around 25 miles or so would be good, and I would also quite like to do natural trails rather than centres – although this is not essential.

I have not been to any of these before, so any advice is much appreciated.

MartynS

peak.. base yourself in the Hope/Castleton area go out Ladybower way on one day and do the Edale classic the other

Lakes.. I doubt you’ll struggle to kill a weekend! I guess a base in ambleside would be good, bother bike treks for some routes..

I love Brecon. The gap road is a classic must do! There is loads of other stuff in the area but TBH I don’t know it!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ask a proper question – that was way too vague – you haven’t even said what kind of riding you like

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just done the Back of Skiddaw route & really enjoyed it, the scenery was immense!

Flippinkipper
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers so far.

Sorry about being a bit vague Simon, but I have never really managed to do much in the way of natural trails, and have spend a lot of time at trail centres – but would like to move away from this a bit.

I enjoy cross county, and the sort of rides that combine nice flowing singe track with some more technical rocky sections. I also don’t mind going up hill too much for some reason.

We will both be using hardtails, so we are not looking for anything too extreme, but I recently enjoyed doing the Syfydrin Trail at Nant-Yr-Arian.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash, around Derwentwater(Lakes) would be a good one.. 😉

Ambrose

Anything around Ystradfellte in the Beacons. I can send you some 8.gpx if you want.

Fluff66
    Free Member

Gav Must hook up with you guys at some point. Loved the “Another Rubbish Mountainbike ride in the Lakes” vid – Quality. Was up your neck of the woods with Simon et al on Saturday and then round Claife on Sunday – in fabulous weather 😀 Off to check out the Gap route in Brecon this w/e.

Fluff

jamesb
    Free Member

Take a look at Brecon Beacons Natl Park cycling (MTB ) sections on their website; there are 8 (i Think) waymarked routes and guides available covering Beacons and Black Mtn, ranging from epic XC with rocky descents (incl The Gaproad route) to easier shorter rides

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Nice one Fluff,Just get in touch anytime 8)

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

see last months what mtb, the gap is in there.

Beacons gap one day and as ambrose said sarn helen/ystradfellte day 2

trailmonkey

gatescarth/nan bield in the lakes.

forget the gap unless you’re happy to ride for the scenery alone, it’s really dull riding.

try the q’s or dartmoor, they’re more accessable than brecon and far better riding.

Ambrose

The Gap is VERY scenic- but you don’t get a huge amount of stunning riding, it’s got a lot of landrover track. Sarn Helen offers a good backbone to hang loads of different routes onto as DrNick says. Quantocks is good- but I’d prefer BBNP.

roystonsmith
    Free Member

Here’s a link to the Brecons mountain biking site.

The Gap is a very good route but it’s a route of two halves – one fantastic riding over a high pass, the other trudging along road and forestry track. But I recommend it.

If you go to the Lakes, do the Walna Scar Road from east to west and loop back to Coniston either via Torver (shorter) or all the way round Coniston Water through the edge of Grizedale. Also Back’o Skiddaw is excellent.

Will send you a few ideas for the Peak District if you mail me.

smiffy

The Gap is a very good route but it’s a route of two halves – one fantastic riding over a high pass, the other trudging along road and forestry track.

Shouldn’t need to be like that; cast around for alternative routes or study OL13 and there really shouldn’t be much of what you desribe at all.

jamesb
    Free Member

When I`ve ridden Gap route have used the Brynore tramway , followed by open moorland, bouldery descent, to reach Pontsycil from a start point at Talybont on Usk, so you can def avoid forestry but some road is needed at some points too after Pontsycill

freeandsingle
    Free Member

From what you’ve described, sounds like you’d enjoy the Cut Gate route from ladybower to Langsett and back, a couple of technical bits and a nice stretch of singletrack, It’s in the vertebrae graphics Dark Peak book I think

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rides in the peaks / beacons / lakes’ is closed to new replies.