Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rides around Ullswater
  • iforwilliams
    Free Member

Going up for a few says next week and was wondering what rides I can do. Staying in Watermillock near Pooley Bridge.

There’s probably some all-day epics I’m sure, but was wondering if there’s any decent XC rides of about 3 hrs or so?

butcher

There’s a bridleway runs around the back of the lake. Good XC stuff, pretty flat, so no huge climbs, but very technical in places. I’ve only done it once, but I’m pretty sure that was under 3 hours to do a full lap of the lake (including the initial ride up the road).

Then there’s Helvelyn too. Sounds like an all day epic, but I did both in a day – and it wasn’t that long a day. If I remember right, I think it took me about 3 hours to do Helvelyn. Obviously loads of climbing, but it’s like a 10 mile round trip or something. I went up Keppel Cove (the ‘easy’, mostly rideable, way up), and back down sticks pass, which is steep and technical in places.

Rob_S
    Free Member

Been looking myself as we’re going up there shortly, found this website;

http://www.visiteden.co.uk/outdoor-adventures/cycling-in-eden/cycling-routes-ullswater/

coolhandluke
    Free Member

high Street is near Ullswater.

That’s worth the effort. Take plenty of water.

rickmeister

They take bikes on the steamer too… Nice way to get back to pooled bridge from glen ridding…

Drac

High St and back along the Lake is a great ride some great tech in it.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ullswater-top-two-must-do-rides

muddy9mtb

high street is not an easy ride, or worth it in my opinion, the views are great but the 1hr + hike (and I mean hike!) up the mountain to get to it? nah. from patterdale take the bridleway to the right of the lake heading north all the way upto pooley bridge and get the steamer back? it’s about 10 miles one way, if you don’t take the boat back it’s mainly road on the other side of the lake back

Junkyard
    Free Member

High street is worth it for the views IMHO
    it not technicall
    1 hour hike a bike is not that long/hard tbh and you can push rather than carry.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice.

I think I’ll have a crack at a ride from Polley Bridge direction and fain some height before coming down and joining the lakeside route back to Patterdale.

Weather permitting, might have a crack at Helvellyn…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rides around Ullswater’ is closed to new replies.