Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riders and lights in Sheffield(small rant)
  • nickhart
    Free Member

What the bloody h*ll is up with people? So many people around the children’s hospital and the university without lights or with crap lights.
    Guy on a planet x fixed track bike with a fancy looking light othe back, there’s more glow in an average earth worm than that had.
    So many with back lights that either shine straight at the top of the tyre or up at the moon. Pointless.
    I’m not being miserable just don’t want to knock anyone off because of their inability to sort a light out.
    Come on people.
    Best one I saw was dressed in black no lights, no reflectors and they had the temerity to stick their arm out to signal which way they were going! Effing useless.
    That is all
    Night night

antigee

odd sometimes the things you see from the window of a bus*

*assuming public transport was being used 😀

nickhart
    Free Member

Nope I was driving and trying not to swear in front of the kids

antigee

just thought it was possibly a good thing lots of people riding bikes and that maybe roads like glossop rd should be public transport and bikes only
    or maybe cars only at a speed that means that cyclists and peds’ aren’t a problem

nickhart
    Free Member

A car travelling at five miles an hour will still bruise you, significantly! We as cyclists are road users and we have to fight for our right to do that. Some di*kheads are going to spoil it for everyone by not using a bit of common sense. It’ll end up that there is legislation about helmets and lights and high viz jackets and all sorts of cr*p if we’re not careful. The French want to make it law for motorcycle riders to wear high viz at all times. Where is the personal choice in that?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

It’s exactly the same in London . I pass about 3 or 4 riders each night with either no lights or faint lights. I used to shout “you needs lights ” as I passed but I have done it so often I just give up. In London no / poor lights is a death wish.
    on balance most of those without lights aren’t the Lycra clad, usually the jeans brigade, but even some of the Lycra guys don’t have lights.

As a breed cyclists are the same as the rest, some of them are knobs. They are human after all. 😉

Pook

they wouldn’t be able to police such a law. I agree with you about lights though. Some of the riders round Sheffield must be ninjas they’re that well camouflaged.

thepodge
    Free Member

the quid shop, of which there are a few in Sheffield, were recently doing quite good front and rear lights for a quid so there is no financial reason not to have lights.

we are however largely populated by students who will happily walk, cycle, run straight into on coming traffic at all times of day and night.

I have also noticed a trend for tiny knog style lights which frankly are nob all use.

even with a reasonable set of bike lights its hard to see them over the dazzle of everyones car lights and people driving with front fogs one all the time.

Clink

Pedestrians can be just as bad. driving home from work the other night, pitch black (and under woodland) come round blind bend to with car coming the other way. As I get round bend I see, at the very last minute, a guy walking away from me on side of road. Not quite sure how I missed him and avoided oncoming car. Dark clothes – nutter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riders and lights in Sheffield(small rant)’ is closed to new replies.