• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ride Leeds Liverpool canal in a Day (anyone want to join me)
  • squiff
    Free Member

On 11TH August (fri) am going to ride from Liverpool to Leeds on the canal in a day. Might start the ride Thursday night or early Friday Morning.

Don’t really fancy riding it solo, so if anybody wants a challenge and is free to join me that would be great.

Thanks

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good route, surprising what you see.. keep your eyes open.

Enjoy.

(I’m not joining you)

bearnecessities

Did just that nearly 9 years to the day; it’s great solo!

I’d start in the morning if I were you; I saw some weird stuff even at 6am 🙂

carlosg
    Free Member

Good luck OP , I did it years ago and my perineum still twinges at the thought so I’m afraid I won’t be joining you either (I’ll be on the way to Cornwall anyway).
    As above you do see some sights , we were offered a can of wifebeater at 6.30am by some lads who’d obviously spent the night on the bank.
    We set off at 6.00am and were in Leeds by 9.15pm with a couple of hours worth of breaks in between.

tmb467
    Free Member

Did it about 8 or 9 years ago – once over two days to get the route right (stopped off in Burnley Premier Inn) and once over a day about three weeks later.

Tips: when you get to Wigan, don’t go the wrong way. When you get to the canal split outside Blackburn, don’t go the wrong way. When you get to Burnley and come off the canal, make sure you don’t go the wrong way. Before Foulridge tunnel – follow the signs off the canal and don’t go the wrong way. When you get to Barnoldswick mentally prepare yourself for the next few hours

And try and pick a period when the prevailing wind is from the West. Makes the whole lot a bit easier!

thepodge
    Free Member

I like the look of that but not sure I could handle the distance right now.

simmy
    Free Member

Like has been said, be careful for going the wrong way.

I’m just outside of Wigan and 2 junctions I know of are near Wigan Pier and another just after Chorley at the Walton Summit branch. If you don’t know it, at the Walton Summit branch, you have to go over the footbridge to stay on the canal.

Another thing to think of, but I don’t know if there is anyway of finding out in advance, is angling contests. I once went up the canal towards Chorley and it was awful as there was a massive amount of fishing going on and their rod things were blocking the towpath.

tthew

Is there a reason it’s not done Leeds to Liverpool? That’s got to be, on average downhill.

Also, how far? I did the Cheshire Ring a few years ago. 108 miles, including the ride to and from home. Great day out. I’d be tempted, but unfortunately have a prior engagement that day.

What bike are you using? My singlespeed, rigid 29er was far more suitable than the 140mm, 26″ full susser than one of my mates rode.

whitestone
    Free Member

Prevailing wind. I use part of the LL on my commute and going home (westwards) is nearly always into a headwind, and that’s on the bit that doesn’t face SW.

Bike? SS or geared rigid 29er or 650B+ would be my choice – the extra volume of the plus tyres would take most of the sting of the surface.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I did it on my CXer with 38C’s on and a saddle bag and bar bag, took too much clothing and did it West – East to get the prevailing winds (but it wasn’t windy) and full GPS route on my Garmin I’d done the week before. I didn’t get lost, the GPS track was fine.

tthew

I just googled the distance. 127 miles, that’s pretty hardcore. Can’t find the stats, but I’m guessing a metric shitload of climbing too.

edit – actually, climbing probably still in imperial as it was finished in 1816.

whitestone
    Free Member

Wikipedia says a total of 91 locks (mostly “up” until you get to the high point then “down”) and a highest elevation of 148 metres.

project
    Free Member

From Lpool to Maghull not to bad a route, a few bridges and some glass on the path to negotiate, mostly smootish surface eg tarmac.

Better to ride from leeds down to Liverpool.

daern
    Free Member

Slightly off-topic, but a good alternative route is the Trans-Pennine Trail from Southport (North of Liverpool) via Liverpool, Stockport, Woodhead Pass, Barnsley and finally Leeds. I did the Stockport to Leeds part with my son in May and we really enjoyed it. It’s a little more varied than the canal (and it’s got a proper hill over Woodhead!) but the trail is similar – a mix of surfaced and unsurfaced cycle track.

Perhaps an option for next year… 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

148 metres is nothing, especially as you’ll be doing it in un-noticeable little chunks at the locks. West to east has to be better especially as the first 2/3 of it runs predominantly north-east, which is the direction of the prevailing wind. I would use a road bike or a hybrid and fit some fattish commuter tyres with a bit of a tread pattern for the muddy bits.

martinhutch

Ride whichever way the wind is pushing you. You will not notice any gradient. There is a good curry house on the side of the canal in Skipton. HTH etc

crazy-legs

I did the Cheshire Ring a few years ago. 108 miles, including the ride to and from home

I’m quite tempted by that one but Monksie off here has done it twice and he dod post something recently to say that he’d rather do anything that that again!

bearnecessities

127 miles

I got me a bit lost at Blackburn 🙂

oldejeans
    Free Member

PM me if I can help with refreshments/food. I’ll be somewhere on your route near Silsden/Skipton

bearnecessities

^ A friend met me at Skipton with a flask of tea and sarnies; it was a lifesaver because if anything like my experience, you’ll be shagged by that point and a bit of real food and encouragement helps 🙂

tthew

For anyone tempted by the Cheshire Ring,
    Straaaaaaaaaaava

munro
    Free Member

I did it solo a couple of years back on a super sunny day – loved it.

daern
    Free Member

For anyone tempted by the Cheshire Ring,

Bloody hell, that’s a fair day’s riding!

globalti
    Free Member

Well 108 miles isn’t so bad if it’s on smooth flattish roads but I’d imagine that on a tow path you’ll be hitting lots of bumpy stuff so your arms and shoulders and arse will be killing you.

whitestone
    Free Member

Not sure what the bits to the west of Barnoldswick are like but the Leeds end is a mixture of tarmac, well packed hardcore, some grass and a few bits that are bumpy (probably only a few Km of this between Kildwick and just after Silsden)). It’s all fine on a CX (when dry) or a HT or rigid 29er.

monksie
    Free Member

Just seen this. James….don’t do it. I’d do London to Manchester again before I did another go of the Cheshire Ring Of Arse Fire….

oldejeans
    Free Member

I can confirm that the section between gargrave and keighley is rather uneven. I didn’t feel especially overbiked on a 160mm travel fs.

tthew

Did you do it Squiff? How did it pan out?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ride Leeds Liverpool canal in a Day (anyone want to join me)’ is closed to new replies.