Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • ridding to work in snow
  • hypan
    Free Member

my work mates think i’m nuts riding to work in this bit of snow but i think you all agree its fun.
    sorry but i do not know how to enter a pic.

ssboggy

Its fun if its not too deep, i’ve just headed out to work and only got to the end of the street before turning back, theres about 8″ of snow on the ground and its almost impossibe to ride in.

snakebite
    Free Member

took me 90 mins to do my 10 mile commute off road, was ace! props from the boss when I got here too and nearly everyone else has failed. Hardtail and 2.35 XR4’s…the way to go!

cuckoo
    Free Member

I love riding to work in the snow. It is a 40-mile round trip and my work colleages think I am nuts too for doing it.

Made it back on the bike on Monday quicker than in the car yesterday though.

Setting out this morning it was just too deep however (above drive train depths) so I aborted. Trains cancelled, roads only passable by 4×4’s so a day off work for me.

ebygomm
    Free Member

An hour to do 6 miles here, had to avoid the back route as snow too deep and stuck to the roads. A few sidewinder impressions but let a bit of air out the back tyre and was fine.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Trouble is, then they’ll expect you to get in every time!

chriswilk
    Free Member

I usually ride in the snow. Decided against it today as we currently have about 60cm in the garden.

cp

Really really good fun riding in today in Sheffield – really quiet roads… just had to watch out for hidden tram tracks and kerbs! So much snow around.

Pic AFTER i’d knocked most of the snow off!! I did take the SPD’s off this morning and put flats on… also lowered the bars for a bit more front wheel traction 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

Doubled my time to do a 10 mile ride back near Derby last night, and traffic was choas. Rode in on my mtb this morning, roads were really quiet, was nice 🙂

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Rode in yesterday, 40mins for the 5.5mile commute, double the time it normally takes – but then again it was twice the fun.

2hrs to get in this morning by the time I dug the car out and battled through the traffic. Bike from now on I think!

Drop the tyre pressure, stick on some flatties and go have some fun.

richmtb

5.5 Mile commute for me too. Main roads in Glasgow are reasonably clear of lying snow its mainly thick slush, getting out my estate was fun though. I’m using my BlurLT with 2.35 tyres

took maybe 35 minutes to cover the 5.5miles mainly due to all the queues of traffic, took to the opposite side of the road whenver it was clear. I reckon in the car it would have taken at least an hour plus digging out the car

Dekerf
    Free Member

Work colleges thought i was made for suggesting it yesterday. Wish i had cycled in yesterday as it took me 8 1/2 hours to do 7.5 miles!!!

Didn’t cycle in today either as school is closed for some reason so i have to look after mini-me

Only got a bit dicey in thick compacted snow last year, but better tyres on the way, so hopefully have more traction (if the lazy post man bothers to turn up)

ourmaninthenorth

Today, I have resorted to the car: my ride is an hour through lanes (on a clear day) and yesterday was very icy coming home (road shiny with ice crystals). Figured that a broken collar bone wasn’t worth it.

However, looking at the snow falling outside the office, I can see the MTB may have to be hastily reassembled tonight and pressed into service tomorrow.

foxyrider
    Free Member

It’s great fun 🙂 An excuse to be late and take the long route 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

they all think I’m daft here too. It’s them that have been sat in the car for twice as long as normal though – eejits!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Whoo! riding to work in a bit, first good bit of snowfall on my commute, it’s only a couple of miles, gonna take the scenic route through the local golf course 🙂

paul4stones

Normally ride but with 12″ of snow I’m going to run instead. Running in the snow is equally ace (if you like running ;-))

Daveb575
    Free Member

I get some very strange looks from work mates when I turn up in cycling gear in the snow.

It took me around 30 mins to do 5ish miles all on a main road this morning. I usually take a slightly longer off road route but there is about 18 ins of snow round here (Matlock, Derbyshire) so it’s virtually impossible to gain any forward motion once as soon as you divert from the routes that have been ploughed.

People thinking I’m odd sort of appeals to the rebellious child that still lives within in me though.

I’m hoping for some more snow at a more rideable depth because last winter was ace.

ebygomm
    Free Member

nickwatson
    Free Member

People thinking I’m odd sort of appeals to the rebellious child that still lives within in me though.

Agree. My work mates thought I was mad turning up in my cycling shorts. However my cycle home took an extra 20 mins to normal, they were stuck at work for 3-4 hours.

Off road cross country was better than on road. I’m in the middle of adding these to my tyres …

http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dutch_Bike_Co_Weblog/post/Seattle_Snowpocalypse/

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I hate it. The novelty soon wears off. I do 10 miles off road every day to/from work and after the first day or two, it can get grim unless it melts fast.

Last Feb the 10″ dump made it almost impassable after day 2. When my normal 30 minute ride took me an hour and a half, I gave up and took to the roads for a week. Melted then re-frozen ridges hidden underneath, ice chunks overlying slush. The car drivers though it was fine and it was still horrible for another week on the trails.

Militant_biker

Last winter I rode in the snow and got stopped by a Sky News roving reporter with camera crew

Not sure it ever made it to the news. Would have been funny to see, I was on my 8″ travel bike with DH tyres, and a Gore facemask (the Hannibal Lecter style one) and my hair had frozen…

Now I’m in America and I’m missing all the snow 🙁

dykm2
    Free Member

I took the Mountain bike to work Tues & Weds this week. Tues was really nice in 2-4inches of powder over hardpack Strees and pavements. Cars sliding every where it took me 45minutes to cover 5 miles though!The drivers covered smilar routes in 2hrs! Got back home in 40 minutes – faster than in the car on a good day!

Today wasn’t so fun, 7″ of powder was causing traction issues, even with the 2.5″ Big Earls!

foxyrider
    Free Member

The only trouble is you then can’t really use the excuse I can’t get into work 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ridding to work in snow’ is closed to new replies.