• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Richmond Park
  • singletracksurfer

Are the roads through it private or public?

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think, although some-one will probably correct me, that they are private. But not 100% sure.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Private, and like many private roads, still subject to the laws of the (public) road?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Begs the question, why you ask? The best time to ride them is in winter in the dark when they close the gates, sometimes all you hear is a deer and the odd light reflection in the not to distant ! Ace.

peterfile
    Free Member

FENTON!!!!!!

singletracksurfer

ah thought they might be private, and allow public use. Thanks.

the odd light reflection isn’t the guns going off when they cull the deer is it ti man? 😉

pdw
    Free Member

Royal Parks used to be the only place where speed limits applied to bikes, but apparently that changed in 2010…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you had your wheels tuned properly to the terrain there?

😉

Sonor
    Free Member

Begs the question, why you ask? The best time to ride them is in winter in the dark when they close the gates, sometimes all you hear is a deer and the odd light reflection in the not to distant ! Ace.

In the dark on the Tamsin trail for me. Met a few Badgers one March.

djglover
    Free Member

what about, er cheeky trails in RP after dark 😐

crazy-legs

Royal Parks used to be the only place where speed limits applied to bikes, but apparently that changed in 2010…

I didn’t know it had changed – AFAIK, you could still be done for “speeding” on a bike. Whether it’s true or not, they’d have trouble applying that rule now, there are so many hundreds of cyclists in RP these days that you’d be very unlucky to be caught!

crazy-legs

Actually, just had a look online, found this on the Richmond Park website which mentions a speed limit of 20mph, regular police patrols etc. But on that page is a link to the LapChallenge website where you can post GPS data of your ride and the “winning” time up there is 16.53 which is an average speed of 25mph.

Seems a bit weird for them to be promoting fastest lap leaderboards while also saying about a 20mph speed limit…

phead
    Free Member

I didn’t know it had changed – AFAIK, you could still be done for “speeding” on a bike.

Appears to still be the case, The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces Regulations 1997, amended by Statutory Instrument 2004 to be “On the Park roads in Bushy Park, Greenwich Park, Hyde Park (except for the Serpentine Road), The Regent’s Park, and St James’s and The Green Parks, at a speed not exceeding 30 mph, and on the Park roads in Richmond Park, at a speed not exceeding 20 mph”

Not sure if the bike track is a “road” for these purposes, but you are required to follow instructions given by notice.

To answer the OP, I would say neither, they are royal park roads subject to specific, and quite different regulations, eg no trade vehicles, no caravans etc etc

pdw
    Free Member

I didn’t know it had changed – AFAIK, you could still be done for “speeding” on a bike.

According to http://www.astounding.org.uk/ian/cyclelaw/speed_limits.html a 2010 amendment changes the definition of “vehicle” to mean motor vehicle. But as you say, largely academic.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I quite often add it to my ride home after work on the cross bike on the dirt track, at the moment I often get shouted at for speeding by runners and walkers walking two or three abreast and not moving when I warn them or ring da bell .

peterfile
    Free Member

FENTON!!!!!!

GJP
    Free Member

Whereabouts is the Tamsin trail the Sonor refers to? Pretty sure it is off limits for bikes and only a winter night cheeky ride?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Richmond Park’ is closed to new replies.