Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ribble,Planet X ,Boardman . What else is worth a look for a £1000 ?
  • roper
    Free Member

I've read soooo many reviews and looked at far too many bikes I've now got it all in a muddle.
    So, a part from Ribble and Planet X and Boardman(though I am leaning towards PlanetX), what other road bikes are worth a look near the £1000 mark?
    I doesn't necessarily have to be all carbon and would even look at steel.
    It will be used for some training and all day mountain rides.

Are there any secret little gems?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Have a look here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16211971

Orbeas def warrant consideration 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

I went for a Trek 2.1 although I'm not sure Trek could be called a 'secret'. For £975 you get a hydroformed alloy frame and 105 components.

TheFlyingOx

I've always liked the look of the Eddy Merckx bikes. The AMX-1 comes in at just shy of a grand. Depends if you're happy with Tiagra though.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

genesis equilibrium? steel rather than carbon and takes mudguards

Del

focus cayo? ( wiggle )

roper
    Free Member

I do like the look of that Equilibrium. I did like the Salsa Pistola but its a grand just for frame and forks, a bit much for steel 🙁
    Thanks for the suggestions and please keep'em coming.

speaker2animals

I have to say that most of the road riders I have begun to ride with this year have Tiagra on at least one of their bikes, if not all of them. I'm quite surprised by the look of the stuff. I'd definately be happy to have it on a winter/general purpose bike.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Cannondale CAAD 9, great frame.

finbar
    Free Member

If you're spending a grand and aren't seduced by carbon, this is the correct answer.

RealMan
    Free Member

I just went for a Ribble Sportive Racing. Shimano RS10 wheels (to be upgraded, eventually). Full Ultegra 6700. Normal Ribble finishing kit (not fantastic, but you get a carbon seatpost, and it all works well).

£1200. If you can find another full carbon frame and fork with full Ultegra, that looks that good, at that price – then its worth a look, but its a fantastic bike, and I love it.

(Not mine – and it looks so much better without that ugly saddle and with the Ultegra chainset)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3rd Cannondale CAAD 9 if your buying new. If your going 2nd hand then its hard to beat the bargain setup i've accumulated over the years, I've a 2004 CAAD4 (new to me in Dec 2005 having covered very few miles) and cant fault it apart from not being the lightest choice. People dont believe me when I say it only cost me £300, especialy people riding bikes the spend 10x that on at sportives! Since then I've bought Shimano r-550 wheels, a 10speed dura ace groupset, bontranger carbon bars, and FSA SL-K cranks to shed some weight.

Still on the upgrade list;
    Carbon seatpost (currently OEM alloy)
    Saddle (currently OEM, but suprisingly comfortable)
    Stem (currently OEM)
    Wheels (again)
    Pedals (bargain basement early 00's look pedals at the moment)

Will be well under a grand and I'll have had 5 years use out of it while I upgraded it! At soem point I'll upgrade the frame, but I'm bot in a hurry, na it will probably be a 2nd hand CAAD9.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Mate just got a CAAD9 and its a class bike.
    Definitely worth a look.

I have a planet-x superlight and rate it as well.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

have a look at a kuota corsa lite…full alloy frame,full rival…nice light bike.mail me if you want some more details..also giant do the defy alliance which is £1100 half carbon

brassneck

WOn the C+ £1000 shoot out recently. They ride far more bikes than me so I'd think they'd know .. but I still find it very hard to look past the Planet X value.

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm seeing lots of Focus bikes at races recently. Not sure what that means, whether they're good or just cheap on the net.

I know this sounds very snobbish but I'd be a bit embarassed to rock up at a race on a Boardman or a Ribble Sportive. Okay stone me 😐 When I do on a PX.

Of course I'd have whatisface's Boardman that he won the Nats on.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I got the impression that the £999 Boardman would not make an ideal bike for "all day mountain rides", it's quite a harsh ride, apparently. There look to be some superb bikes come up on ebay, if you're savvy, either ones you can go and view locally or bike shop ex-demos.

roper
    Free Member

I appreciate all of the help but this is just making it more difficult 😀

I've always had an unjustifyed dislike for Cannondale bikes but now that could be yet another on the list.

So now my list is
    Planet X
    Ribble
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Cannondale CAAD 9
    and waiting for info on the kuota corsa lite.

The list just gets bigger 😯

sharki
    Free Member

As seen here…(i'm the rider in the pic, lol)

The ribble evo pro carbon felt a good value bike, can't coment on how it rode as i've not swung my leg over too many road bikes, but it seemed fine for few hrs i rode it.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I'd discount all of those apart from the Cannondale if you want ride quality. The spec for the money is what sells the rest. Spec can be upgraded, ride quality can't.

The CAAD 9 is a very nice frame.

finbar
    Free Member

I'm seeing lots of Focus bikes at races recently. Not sure what that means, whether they're good or just cheap on the net.

I know this sounds very snobbish but I'd be a bit embarassed to rock up at a race on a Boardman or a Ribble Sportive. Okay stone me When I do on a PX.

I had a Focus Variado Expert and it was horrible. It had the heaviest, most unresponsive road frame i've ever ridden.

cp

Focus Cayo – superb, stiff, light, good ride, ace handling.

3rock
    Free Member

On Halfords website the Team Carbon seems to have gone from £999 to £1199 today. Arse.

Philby

Dolan Mythos is another British carbon brand to consider (although probably made in SE Asia like most carbon)
    Also lots of other aluminium / carbon bikes to look at – Specialized, Cube, Bianchi to name but a few. Carbon is not necessarily better!
    The Caad 9 has a quite aggressive geometry, so you might look at the Cannondale Synapse which is aimed at the sportive market.

samuri
    Free Member

Canyon Roadlite 6.0. Full 105 with an Ultegra cassette, Mavic Aksium Wheels, Ritchey finishing kit. 999 Euro's.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Just back from a fortnight of riding my new Equilibrium in Corsica & Italy, very pleased with my choice. Comfortable, quick and classy looking, those Euros aint seen anything like it. Consider some wheel upgrades in the near future (I went for some Fulcrum Racing 5s from the off) and maybe some new brakes from the start, I was less than impressed with the standard Tektros so got some Shimanos from Wiggle.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Just bought a Focus Cayo 105 myself, also tried the CAAD 9. Both very nice bikes but the Cayo just edged it for me.

spev

have a look and see if you can find a Corratec Dolomiti RT 105 2009,should be easily under a grand and maybe even less than 900, leaving some cash for nice shoes and pedals. The Corratec range in general is pretty good and very light for the money

poppa
    Free Member

On Halfords website the Team Carbon seems to have gone from £999 to £1199 today. Arse.

Yet the womens is still £999. Bizarre.

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Probably got something to do with the TDF being on 😉

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Just looked on the Dolan site, looks like the Mythos has jumped up a few quid too. What recession?!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Recession = devalued £ = everything seems expensive

Agree though, wait till the TDF finishes, everything will be subject to a 20% TDF tax untill at least mid August.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Everything IS more expensive! I got a mythos with full ultegra for £999 about 2 years ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ribble,Planet X ,Boardman . What else is worth a look for a £1000 ?’ is closed to new replies.