Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • ribble vs planet x
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Both sent out emails today with carbon bikes under a grand. One with ultegra, one with centuar (sp?).

If you were to click on a whim, which one would you go for?

Northwind

Ribble, more trustworthy warranty.

mooman
    Free Member

Ribble.

justatheory
    Free Member

Much of a muchness really. Go for the one you like the look of the most. Campag and Shimano both work great.

RustySpanner

Don’t forget Dolan.

Merak

Ultegra for me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Planet X one with Ultegra looked like a great deal. Been tempted to get a bike to race on that I don’t mind crashing and that one ticks a lot of boxes.

Not had a proper look at the Ribble one, though they do tend to be my online shop of choice at the moment.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Planet X for me.

kilo

I’ve got the ribble sportive bianco and the planet x £1k bike from a year ago both with sram, both are good bikes, the planet x feels a little more sporty due dimensions more than anything else(also it may be because i ride it more infrequently as it is outside the uk). Both perfectly good for long rides. The stock wheels with the ribble were a bit pony though but the saddle on the ribble is a bit more comfy imho. If I had to replace one of them i’d go for a Planet x.

Gribs

The Ribble as I own one that I’m happy with and Campag stuff is just nicer.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have a planet x, my other half has a Ribble. I’d go for the planet x 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just noticed that the ribble let’s me select little 170mm cranks but the planet x doesn’t.

Is that enough to swing it?

mrblobby
    Free Member

You could give them a call… ah hold on, it’s Planet X, maybe not!

Edit: sounds a bit harsh that, I’ve brought a lot of stuff from Planet X and never had any problems with sales or returns, just never been able to get through on the phone.

Double edit: having said that if I was buying a bike I’d probably drive up there and take advantage of the bike fit. I’d be surprised if they didn’t sort the cranks out for you.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Do look at the Dolans, they’ll change crank lengths etc too. Happy, happy with mine and helpful people. Then Ribble, then Merlin, then someone else, maybe Halfords and then Planet X. 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Those dolans are noticably more expensive though.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Give them a call. I got a good wedge off my frame I got off them and they were cheaper for 105 components than anyone in uk and Europe. They may a deal going for a bike in stock.

sleepless
    Free Member

If you want the worst customer service go with Ribble- or Terrible as I have rebadged my ribble.

MoreCashThanDash

Took a long time for the Ribble haters to get started – first thread for a while with several positive comments about them, maybe they’ve turned a corner (having previously had a couple of bikes from them, excellent VFM, delivery a little slower than you’d ideally want ime, but not enough to shout about)

Gribs

I got mine last year and it was delivered roughly when they said it would be. I’m happy with it but the gears weren’t set up at all when I got it and if I’d actually ridden it like that could have caused some damage. It wasn’t a problem as I could do it myself but a little disappointing after buying a Canyon that arrived perfectly set up.

stevious

Planet X for me based on experience of customer service from both companies. And the fact that I have Shimano on my other bikes.

takisawa2

And here’s me getting excited about building up one of those Decathlon Tri-Ban 3’s…!!! 🙂

First foray into modern road bikes, hence not lashing out loads.
    Our BtW window is open right now, & I was all set to spec up a Ribble / PlanetX but found out I have to use Halfords. A single visit to the complete Joke that is the Lichfield store put paid to that. Apparently, we can use Dolan so if I do like this skinny wheel mullarkey I’ll look at Dolan next year.

eskay

Bought a Planet X carbon pro for my lad and I am very pleased with it.

Ordering was easy, called through with a query and they answered the phone quickly.

eskay

Takisawa – there are lots of other bikes you can get on halfords c2w, I bought a kenesis crosslight through the scheme. The state they gave it to me was shocking though, won’t ever take it back there for a service.

flange
    Free Member

My 2p – ill never buy anything from ribble again. Massively unhelpful to the point of rude. Never been let down by px, always answered the phone.

chakaping
    Free Member

found out I have to use Halfords

Boardman road bikes are excellent and great VFM.

Worth going to a different store to your local one if necessary, IMO.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im fairly certain on-one are getting my money –

Shimano swings it for me. Chain set needs changing though for me so the fact its an fc 595 not ultegra doesnt bother me – 39-52 and 175 ultegra will be going on 🙂 – likely from ribble !

dantsw13

I have the P-X RT57 SRAM Rival which was £999 at Xmas. When I bought it, the spec was fully configurable, so I chose my saddle, shorter stem on a large frame, and a wide range cassette with med cage rear mech.

Very happy, btw.

antigee

my gut feeling is that a Ribble would have a better resale value as are a traditional “winter training bike” although personally think planet X come up with some great packages

more importantly Ribble is Lancashire based and Planet X Yorkshire based – i’m from the south of England originally but have had to look and smell black and green mushy peas and had loyalty explained to me and I feel this is lacking here

takisawa2

Chapaking, yes fair comment. Maybe next year.

TiRed

I’d pick the one with the best geometry. There is little to separate the groupsets. Untegra 6700 is more clunky duee to the internal cabling, Centaur has got lighter to compete with shimano.

Or, for the same money, a top end alloy frame such as a CAAD10. Just because it is carbon does not mean it is a bargain. Economies of scale are being made somewhere.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘ribble vs planet x’ is closed to new replies.