• This topic has 24 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by J273.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ribble? How was it for you? Happy with the bike?
  • RustySpanner

Just found out today that our company has signed up to the Cycle To Work Scheme, so looking at a few options.

Have read good things about Ribble and quite like the look of a couple of the models.

So.

How did you find them to deal with?
    Which model did you go for?
    Do you like it?
    How tall are you and what size do you ride?

Thanks in advance.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Hi,

Got a Gran Fondo a couple of years ago. No issues with service or bike good spec for the price.

Prefer to ride mtb but nice enough bike to ride comfy enough for my 65mile training route. Only road bike I have had so nothing to compare it to.

I am 6ft 1 and ride a 54cm

Cheers
    Iain

sleepless
    Free Member

i have the winter trainer. I will not buy anything from Terrible Ribble again.
    Last year they had a 6 week back log due to the increase in cycling interest due to the Olympics and Tour sucess. I was attracted by the slightly cheaper price. That was my misguided mistake.

The rear wheel was bodged together and When I offered to drop it off and swap it for another, the service I received was a Joke.

Terrible do not do customer support at all. I was told I should take the wheel to my local bike shop to be fixed and invoice Terrible the bill. Not wanting to have a third party involved and not able to simply swap like for like as Terrible seem to now be just a distribution company rather than a bike builder(hence not being able to swap for some bizare reason), I posted it back. Mistake.

I was without bike for 3 months. When the wheel eventually returned back to me they had done nothing to it. They offer cheap prices to attract the sales and could not care less about any disgruntled customer.

I should have researched more. Terrible seem to be consistently bad at resolving customer gripes, it isn’t just me. If you have no problems then everything will of course be fine.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The ‘Terrible’ bit in your rant is a bit naff.

Pay cheap…..

Gunz
    Free Member

I bought a Winter training frame from them. It arrived promptly and for £103 is an absolute bargain, finished to a better standard than I should expect for the price although the paint is a bit fragile.
    I’m 5′ 10” and ride a 56 but I am quite long in the torso.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Got a Sportive Bianco a couple of years ago nearly. Campag kit and wheels. Took 10 days from order to delivery, some supply issue with the cassette i chose but they called and we discussed an alternative and it didn’t delay things.

The bike was built properly, looks ace, rides ace (no comfort issues after 100 miles, except for my useless legs). Was good value too, and I’d definetly recommend them.

Sorry you had such a rubbish experience fella.

I’m 5’11” with long legs and arms, and ride a 54 with a slightly shorter stem than standard, fits great

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Double posting muppet

patriotpro
    Free Member

i have the winter trainer. I will not buy anything from Terrible Ribble again.
    Last year they had a 6 week back log due to the increase in cycling interest due to the Olympics and Tour sucess. I was attracted by the slightly cheaper price. That was my misguided mistake.

The rear wheel was bodged together and When I offered to drop it off and swap it for another, the service I received was a Joke.

Terrible do not do customer support at all. I was told I should take the wheel to my local bike shop to be fixed and invoice Terrible the bill. Not wanting to have a third party involved and not able to simply swap like for like as Terrible seem to now be just a distribution company rather than a bike builder(hence not being able to swap for some bizare reason), I posted it back. Mistake.

I was without bike for 3 months. When the wheel eventually returned back to me they had done nothing to it. They offer cheap prices to attract the sales and could not care less about any disgruntled customer.

I should have researched more. Terrible seem to be consistently bad at resolving customer gripes, it isn’t just me. If you have no problems then everything will of course be fine.

WTAF

mudsux
    Free Member

Never had a problem with Ribble.
    Bought through the cyclescheme and everything was perfect.
    I’ve had issues where I have had to use customer support and having read previous posting regarding this – opted for the extreme polite approach rather than assertive customer who “know his rights” approach.
    And it was all a happy ending.

bails

Bought a Carbon Sportive through cyclescheme. they let me pay the extra £100 to upgrade to 105.

Bike was built up perfectly, was light and comfortable, rode well. A little bit less stiff than the CX that replaced it but the CX is a bit less comfortable as a result. I only replaced it because I was using it for pretty much nothing but commuting and so I needed something a bit more winterproof (I used to ride through ‘the sticks’ so spiked tyres were needed).

If I had room (or the need) for a ‘pure’ road bike as well as the CX I’d happily buy from them again.

I’m 6ft and had a 55cm.

plus-one

Ribble are a victim of there own success …. Cracking deals/frames/prices etc.. Just be prepared to maybe wait a while 🙂

stevious

I have a Ribble. The bike is fine and was good value, but not gobsmacking value by any means. And not good enough value that I’d want to put up with the mixture of rudeness and incompetence that I encountered when they got my order wrong.

Richie_B

Last year they had a 6 week back log due to the increase in cycling interest due to the Olympics and Tour sucess

I bought my winter trainer 7 years ago, they always seem to have a six week backlog

Having said that I have never had any issues with the bike good cheap frame thats still going strong

soobalias
    Free Member

the 525 is the first bike to tempt me away from SS for a mixture of occassional road use, light touring and commuting.

not so much that ive actually ordered one yet tho.

RustySpanner

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWNJwSJh_WY[/video]

mooman
    Free Member

Only good reports here too ..

I bought a R872 frame & fork a couple months ago.
    It was delivered within the week. And has been a superb riding bike.
    I am 5`8″ and went with the 48cm.

khegs
    Free Member

they are very nice bikes, a colleague has a very shiny R872 (I think) with campag. That looks to be really nice

I had a look at them when I got my bike-to-work bike, but the Planet-x pro carbon ultegra really is pretty hard to beat at that price

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another winter frame owner here too… A bargain bit of kit IMHO.
    Bought loads of kit over the years from them, and never had a drama..

edhornby

have you had a look at Dolan ? they do similar bikes at similar prices and I’ve never heard of customer service issues, my dolan (ok I bought bits rather than full build) customer service has been great

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So Sleepless has an issue, and then does the opposite of what they ask him to do?

kilo

Tt frame, road bike and wife’s road bike (which they delivered to RoI) and loads of kit never had a problem

spuddle
    Free Member

I ordered a Gran Fondo frame and forks along with a few other bits on Friday, emailed the CS a few times asking a few questions about other parts to go with it, sizes etc, been very helpful and usually replied the next working day, will post again how long delivery takes because even frames apparently need to be allocated workshop time to fit under bb guide, cable adjusters, seat clamp, and rear hanger.

cheers_drive

I think Ribble had some issues 5 years ago but that’s all been sorted.
    I’ve had my Sportive Racing for 4 years and I can’t fault it or see any difference in quality versus much more expensive frames.

Ribble Sportive Racing by Cheers Drive, on Flickr
    Now I think I’d choose the R872 as the Ribble branding is much more subtle – not for snob reason but because I don’t like to see any logo repeated multiple time on the frame.
    Ribble are also consistently the best price for components, even better than the German online bike stores.

MoreCashThanDash

Had two of the blue winter bikes. Great for road commuting, but was very tight fitting 25mm tyres and guards on. At 5’9″ I had a 54cm frame.

Also had a sloping TT winter bike which I don’t think they do anymore. More tyre clearance, great bike. Should never have sold it. That was a 48cm frame due to the slope.

Not the fastest service but wasn’t a problem. If you can, try before you buy, have a reputation fir sizing large talking to other owners

J273
    Free Member

@Mooman what wheels are those you are running?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ribble? How was it for you? Happy with the bike?’ is closed to new replies.