Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Reynolds 631 v 531 frame for touring?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got a chance to buy a Reynolds 631 lugless touring frame. I already have a nice Roberts lugged 531c Audax frame. How much of a difference would I notice between the ride of each. I’m guessing the weights would be similar and the geometry of the 631 frame would be slightly more relaxed than the audax frame. It would be used exclusively for laden touring.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it’s been built for touring it should be better: more relaxed and stiffer, 531C was for racing.

ton

i used a 631 aravis tourer for 10 yrs. it was very nice and comfy.
    never loaded it front and rear tho.
    got hit by a car from behind and killed it.
    i was about 17stone then so it must have been tough enough

cheap from byercycles

aa
    Free Member

someone correct me if i’m wrong (i’m sure you will). but isn;t 631 just the tig weldable version of 531? i wouldn’t think there’d be much difference in weight though it is stiffer.

geometry, i have no idea,.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s good to hear Ton.

I think I will go for it. The Roberts suffered from a sporadic front end shimmy if I wasn’t very careful with how I loaded my bar bag. It could have just been the geometry, so a slightly stiffer frame and more relaxed fork rake may dial that out. The seat stays on the Roberts limited the widest tyre I could fit to 28mm which I found wore I out every 1500 miles or so when touring.

BrickMan

531 of any form is discontinued. 631 is its replacement AFAIK, and yes its more receptive to TIG welding.

853 is the epic stuff.

ton

moonter, where are you going?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

where are you going?

Back to the States in September. An ocean and mountains tour. South from near the Canadian border out to Pugit Sound and the Olympic peninsula in Washington, then down the Oregon coast to California as far as San Francisco. Then I’ll catch the train up to Klamath Falls, Oregon and ride back up through the Cascades across the Columbia river, back into Washington past Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier over some big passes. It’s about 2500 miles.

I left my Roberts and most of my touring gear in Portland, knowing I’d be back.

ton

you lucky lucky sod……. 😀

oh, and make sure you do a blog.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’ll be a lot different from the Trans Am, yep I’ll blog on CGOAB.

Boblo, a guy on here is riding the TA just now, I lent him my maps.

Here is the blog of one of the other english guys he teamed up with http://transamandy.wordpress.com/ The lucky guys had some tailwinds across Kansas.

boblo
    Free Member

Someone call? Yep, we’re about half way through at 2200 miles and just entered Colorado today after an epic 120 mile/17.5mph day. Tailwinds? You bet 🙂 We’ve been lucky temperature wise as well. Nothing in excess of mid 90’s degrees f in Kansas which is pretty mild by MCMOONTER’s standards.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Boblo, you guys are flying. Tailwinds in Kansas are the stuff of dreams. We suffered headwinds most days across the plains. Be sure to try and plan you schedule to overnight in Guffey CO.

We met an east bound Australian guy in Walden Colorado, a few days later he was riding into this across Kansas.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

853 is the mythical stuff.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

McM,

Will you be stopping by before you get on the train?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Charlie, I might need to borrow or rent a bike, but if you guys are around, I’d love to go for a ride again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Reynolds 631 v 531 frame for touring?’ is closed to new replies.