Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Rex – run free boy.
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

Thanks so much to everyone who commented on my earlier thread.

We took the tough descision to set Rex free this afternoon.

I held him in my arms until I was sure he was free.

Run free forever Rex……

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

You have my sympathies mate – at least he’s not in pain anymore.

donsimon
    Free Member

Dogs are ace.
    😥

duckman

🙁 Having lost my dog of 10 years in the Spring it gets better. You did the right,brave,compassionate thing.Doesn’t seem like it just now, but when the memories are only of him exploring/eating your socks etc it will.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

The right thing was done. I just hope that if I am ever that way it will be legal for my nearest and dearest to help me in the same manner.

Drac

Go Rex Go!

Seemed to me the best decision it’s awful but sadly at times necessary.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’ve just looked over at mine (completely radged chocolate lab with a serious sock / knicker fetish) who knows he’s not supposed to be on the sofa BUT IS, and I havent the heart to tell him to get down just now.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Wow strato. I got proper “fizzy cheeks” and something in my eye as I read this post. My sympathy and a pat on the back for such a selfless act. Rex will be bounding through meadows of all the colours of the rainbow. No anxiety, no discomfort and no pain. Enjoy the happy memories of him – of which I am sure there are many.

jerseychaz

I’ve just looked over at mine (completely radged chocolate lab with a serious sock / knicker fetish) who knows he’s not supposed to be on the sofa BUT IS, and I havent the heart to tell him to get down just now.

Mine too!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Very hard to put down one you love. Happy trails rex!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dogs are Most Awesome.

Feel your sadness.

Drac

Funny that I turned around and my Border Terrier is curled up on a cushion behind me on the sofa.

He’ll shift though as I’m going out in the car soon and he loves that.

IHN

Not read the other thread, but 🙁

Not looking forward to Nelson going, he’s looking old 🙁

passtherizla
    Free Member

My heart goes out to you dude, I had to do this with my 10 YO Rotty in May this year…. It gets easier with time, but I don’t think I can have another Dog again.

condolences 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

A splendid looking dog stratobiker.

yossarian
    Free Member

From what you’ve written on the other thread I’d say you’ve done the right thing at the right time in the right way.

midlifecrashes

Aw, so sad. Lovely dog.

julesf7
    Free Member

SB, I’ve followed your threads about Rex over the last months, he looked like a wonderful dog. I tried to rehome a collie, called Rex too, about 18 months ago and was compelled to make the same decision. I still hate the decision, but know that it was the correct one, and I respect you for taking the route that was right for him and not necessarily for you. It sounds like to gave him some fantastic times, I hope that your memories of these serve you well, my thoughts are with you both.

Del

sorry.
    you gave him a good life i’m sure, and the last act of kindness is the right one.
    don’t know you and didn’t know your dog but the spaniel’s under the desk and i’m finding it difficult to find the right words.
    all the best.

Militant_biker

He looked awesome! Enjoy the memories.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Awww man, feel bad for you. I wish i was at home to give my dog a hug right now 🙁

All the best

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Hard decision but I always think better a day early rather than an hour too late.

Remember the good times.

nickf
    Free Member

Good decision.

You were his friend to the end, and making that final call is the greatest favour you could have given him.

My two annoy the hell out of me from time to time – they eat anything and everthing (no matter how implausible), cost the earth, drop hair everywhere – but none of that really matters.

willard

For what it’s worth, I think you made the right choice. I know that doesn’t make it any easier though, and I am really sorry for you.

bullheart
    Free Member

You’re a good man.

I don’t know what I’ll do when the time comes to set my old man free. I don’t think I’d have got through the cancer so far without him, and I don’t know how I’ll cope without. I don’t think it’ll be too long now, and I pray I’ll make the right decision at the right time.

Well done fella.

stumpy01

😥

Great pic though. And that’s how you’ll remember him.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, a sad day. Hopefully you have loads of happy memories to reflect back on.RIP Rex.

anagallis_arvensis

DO NOT POST ANY POEMS OR I WILL CRY 😥

sounds like you did the right thing, well done and have a manly hug.

I AM NOT CRYING OK

cardo

It’s go to to be one of the hardest things in the world to have to do… sorry for your loss mate.. It does get easier, promise.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

The relatively short life span is the biggest downfall of dog ownership.
    Our first gsd ended up in the same situation as your Rex. Never a nice decision to make. Stay strong!

gsp1984
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this 🙁

nedrapier

bullheart – Member
    You’re a good man.

I don’t know what I’ll do when the time comes to set my old man free. I don’t think I’d have got through the cancer so far without him, and I don’t know how I’ll cope without. I don’t think it’ll be too long now, and I pray I’ll make the right decision at the right time.

Well done fella.

That’s what I always think about when I see these threads. giving a dog a compassionate nudge in the right direction at the right time seems to be a simple (but obviously emotionally difficult) choice because the relationship is simple. Man – dog – faithful frind, faithful master. There’s a bond of trust about doing the right thing by each other.

My dad lost his Dad earlier this year, and wasn’t happy at all about how much he suffered in the last 3 weeks. Dad’s time is hopefully a long way off, but he’s requested a compassionate dose of sodium pentathol at the right time, and I hope I’ll be in a position to help him.

Dolcered

The kindest things are often the hardest. You have my sympathy.

cinnamon_girl

Such a sad time but cherish your memories. 🙁

sweepy
    Free Member

I didnt see your first post but looking back you made the right decision.
    When my last girl went I didnt want another dog. However got another from the pound after a while and it was the best thing I ever did. Weigh the sadness against the good times and its a bargain IMO

stratobiker
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words. Much appreciated.

Right now I feel like shit, Mrs Stratobiker too.
    I will remember the good times, always. Rex was a fantasic dog, and everytime I walk down his trail I know he’ll be there.

Big hugs to all and your dogs from a tear stained stratobiker.

spacemonkey

I’ve been there too mate. Not a nice place to be, especially after all those years together. But it does get easier with the passing of time.

You’ve made the right decision. Just as I had to last year with Bert.

Remember they are with you wherever you go.

Furry children rock 😉

CheesybeanZ

stratobiker you did the right thing at the right time .we had to make the decion with Webster our 14 year old dog in June and it was one of the hardest thing we`ve ever done, but it was the right thing to do .
    we talked about rescue dogs and puppies and after months of thinking and looking we decided to go for a puppy , which we collected today .i`ll post some pics later .
    our thoughts are with you Paul & Kate

29erKeith
    Free Member

you did the right thing for sure.

One of the the most upsetting thing I’ve ever done, after our springer had a stroke.

lots of fond memory’s though, we think about him loads and I’m sure you’ve got loads of them with Rex too, just remember those.

schmiken

All the very best.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Rex – run free boy.’ is closed to new replies.