Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Revive old 7 speed kit or cheap 9 speed (bay trailer bike content)
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, my old Lava Dome, which has been a SS for a few years, is now doing duties pulling Baby North’s trailer.

TBH, 33×16 is OK, but a bit tough on the knees at times, so I figured I’d put some gears back on it.

I have the old 7sp kit (not sure about chain or cassette though) – thumb shifters, chainrings, etc.

Would you revive the 7sp – with a replacement cassette and chain (assume these are still available) – or go for s/h / cheap 9sp stuff with a bit more modernity?

colande
    Free Member

assuming that everything is still functioning, ie shifters
    then why not,

I heard from a supplier that shimano are gonna stop producing 7 speed cassettes, dunno if that is true or not but there is plenty of stock and other makes anyway

7 speed is much more durable than 9 sp aswell, wider chains.
    i kept with 7 sp on a road build for my girlfriend there nothing wrong with it, except me choosing the wrong ratio cassette, doh!

ourmaninthenorth

OK, if there’s stuff available, then I’ll go for it.

Yep, thumb shifters are in full working order..!

Hooter
    Free Member

I’d stick with 7 speed, it’s reliable stuff. I’ve got a few 7 and 8 speed set ups still working fine. Note a change from 7 to 8/9/10 would also need a change of rear wheel for the wider cassette body.

cookeaa

Although 9spd has apparently bee “superseded” and is hence cheaper than 10spd – 7 and 8 are still perfectly functional and will save you a packet compared to “cheap” 9spd stuff…

I’ve still got a couple of bikes using 8spd, in fact I recently took one bike from 9 back to 8 on cost grounds with no ill effects…

I’ve still got an old STX mech and I think some 7spd Gripshift knocking about in the shed, 32 chainring and an 11-28 7spd cassette won’t break the bank… Hmmmm.

trail_rat
    Free Member

even if they stop making 7speed cassettes just wang an 8 on and set limits …..

ourmaninthenorth

would also need a change of rear wheel for the wider cassette body.

B-gg-r. Wheel is newer (an 8/9 Deore). Can I add a spacer with a 7sp cassette?

Or, do I put on an 8sp cassette and use the shifter in friction mode (i.e. will it pull the cable enough)?

GW
    Free Member

stick to 7, a spacer will be around £1.

brassneck

7 speed lasts forever.

even if they stop making 7speed cassettes just wang an 8 on and set limits ….

.. is a good point.

Pretty sure you can use a spacer, I used to some years back when I tacoed a rear wheel and bought a new one.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers. Sheldon tells me it’s a 4.5mm spacer.

Right, off to buy some bits and bobs and further extend the life of my favourite bike..!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Or, do I put on an 8sp cassette and use the shifter in friction mode (i.e. will it pull the cable enough)? “

nope you fit the 8 speed cassette then index the gears as normal – for each click you get 1 gear – you have 1 cog left unused at which ever end you choose.

couse if you really want you could do friction shift and have 8 gears !

ourmaninthenorth

trail rat – sensible stuff. Like it.

swamp_boy

You can put a spacer under a 7 spd cassette. If you have an old cassette the nylon spacers between the cogs do the job OK, hacksaw through the pins and it all drops apart.

People have also been known to clamp the hub in a workmate and shorten the threaded end with an angle grinder, but you need to be very careful cleaning off the swarf and it wasn’t me that done it your honour, honest.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Revive old 7 speed kit or cheap 9 speed (bay trailer bike content)’ is closed to new replies.