Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reversed Flanges.
  • emanuel
    Free Member

Kid’s bikes have the flanges on the outside of grips.
    why don’t adult’s bigger kid’s bikes?

I can understand it gets in the way of barspinz and stuff I’ll never do.
    But it should keep my hands on the bars with a looser grip. This is a rigid 29er. Not that it makes a difference.

Thoughts?
    Ugly?
    Need to wait for the axle before I can ride it. so it’s just theory.
    instagram

JoeG
    Free Member

They’re on kids bikes for more of an injury protection purpose, I think. The flange makes a larger surface and softens the end of the bar so less likely to put in their mouth, poke an eye out, bang them in the head, or whatever kids could do…

You could always use bar ends on your own bike to help keep your hands from sliding off the ends! 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yup. Purely practical safety on kids bikes. Protects the hands from the floor/walls in crashes. Protects the bars and levers when the bike is thrown in the floor.

njee20
    Free Member

Does it not have those effects on an adult bike then?

emanuel
    Free Member

You’re right, but it also helps their little hands not slide off the bars.
    I reckon it’s worth a try, at the worst I’m out a pair of grips.
    I like to keep a loose grip, I’ve used ergon GE1 because I think the slight taper keeps my hands on the bars better, but this would let me have a really relaxed grip, pretty useful on a rigid bike.

aracer
    Free Member

Presumably Islabike kids are tough/skilled enough not to need these?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I ride a lot with end of the bar in my palm 😯 (climbing) ,means I cant use lock-ons.BMX grips ftw for me 8)

emanuel
    Free Member

Rorschach, me too, but these are uncut 760 bars.so loosing half an inch either side gets me to my normal 730ish width.

emanuel
    Free Member

aracer, maybe, but I’m gettin old, I’ll take all the help I can.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hands coming off bars is part of the charm of rigid Shirley?

emanuel
    Free Member

I’ll take the charmless option, please bob.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – then just get some flanged lockons and run them with the flange near the end of the bar…

emanuel
    Free Member

good idea that. also easier to go back to normal, or run one normal one reversed to try it out. my battered wrists prefer non lock ons, but that’s a great idea none the less.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reversed Flanges.’ is closed to new replies.