Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Reverb Stealth – the black connector bit, what does it do?
  • kiksy
    Free Member

Installed a Reverb Stealth 125mm into my small frame Trance 27.5, and to get the post low enough I have to really slam the post down as far as it can go, forcing the bottom cable into the stop point of the frame. I’m concerned this is going to eventually damage the cable or the post. Even doing this its not quite as low as I’d like it.

My friend has a 2015 Reign with the 100mm Stealth Reverb, and even though the post length is the same, it doesn’t have the black connector bit:

Anyone know what this black bit does and whether or not you can remove it and just attach the two silver bits of hose together? If I did that it would then fit perfectly.

benpinnick

You cant get rid of it without buying a new hose and other gubbins for the post (Basically its a no no). Also, the 100mm post will be shorter by 25mm, and then youd run it 25mm higher out of the seat tube giving you 50mm of effective extra room.

Sorry to say it but you probably needed a 100mm post! Running it right at the bottom may kink the hose and cause the post to stop working as the oil wont flow any more.

EDIT: I should point out Ive never tried attaching the hose direct to the post without the connectamajig but as its a valved hose, my money is on it not being an option.

kiksy
    Free Member

thanks, the 100mm body is the same length as the 125mm (see E on the chart)

If I got a 100mm, I’d have to run it higher out of the frame as you’d say, but this is the opposite of what I’m looking for, as I want the seat to be lower in the frame when in the dropped position.

Looks like the part might be called a ‘strain relief’ ?http://www.amazon.co.uk/RockShox-Strain-Relief-Reverb-NEW/dp/B0063HGOO0

kiksy
    Free Member

Here is my friends Regin:

and then mine:

Looks like the cable goes straight into the black bit on the Regin, which is what I’m after. Might just give it a go and see what happens 🙂

benpinnick

Yeah of course its the same post length. Doh! Worth noting though that you’ll need to remove the silver part off your hose, and replace with any gubbins (Olives maybe?) for the relief bit… not sure how that works.

jam-bo

That’s a connectamajig isn’t it. Not required but makes removal a bit easier.

kiksy
    Free Member

That’s a connectamajig isn’t it. Not required but makes removal a bit easier.

Ah! It is! Yeah. Looks like that’s optional as you say. Nice one.

singlespeedstu

Just buy a standard Reverb hose and replace your Connectamajig hose.
    The new hose will connect staight into the bottom of your post.

dingleberry
    Free Member

The longer silver bit is crimped to the hose, so you’d need to snip it off and replace with one of these: http://www.merlincycles.com/rock-shox-reverb-hose-barb-for-post-end-58226.html

kiksy
    Free Member

Took the two ends off, looks like Dingleberry is right, as the silver end doesn’t screw directly into the post. But! It does mean Ill shave off 20mm or so from the post length, as the Conectamjig thing is just to save having to bleed everytime you remove the post, which I’m not fussed about anyway.

Thanks to everyone for your help. 😀

woolymonster
    Free Member

You can remove it, but is non reversible. Basically you’re trimming the silver bits off right down to the hose, then attaching the post side hose insert and strain relief. Once attached, re-bleed and use as normal 🙂

Northwind

Aye, I had to replace the hose on mine so just removed the connectamathing as I’d never used it anyway (and it saved about 7 grams. And grams make kilos.)

joeyjeremiah
    Free Member

Reviving an old thread.

Kiksy – how far are you able to insert the Reverb with the connectamajig removed? Trying to figure out if I can make the 125mm drop post work for me on my small trance. I think would need to get the collar of the post within about 50mm of the top of the seat tube. Appreciate any help!

kiksy
    Free Member

That’s about as far as it will go into the frame without the Connectamajig removed. Much further and the hose gets crushed into the frame.

daver27
    Free Member

had to do the same on my new frame, replacing the connectamajig with the normal strain relief and barb allows about 1-1.5″ of extra drop. costs about £8 and is a doddle to change, just requires a bleed of the hose and you are done. just make sure you bleed the hose with the lever on the fastest return speed.

takes about 20 mins all in

this is the part

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

It allows you to remove the hose from the post body with out losing any oil and this not having to rebleed when you reconnect. You don’t need to but is very handy in stopping oil loss

joeyjeremiah
    Free Member

Thanks for the help kiksy and daver! It’ll be close but I think it will work.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Reverb Stealth – the black connector bit, what does it do?’ is closed to new replies.