Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Reverb stealth feels rough – experiences?
  • andyl
    Free Member

When will I learn to not bother with ebay?

Described as good condition etc etc Installed and bled last night and as soon as I pushed it down I thought “bugger”

Looks in pretty good condition externally but has a horrible binding and grinding feeling and sounds rough. Little bit more side to side play than my >2yr old owned from new and been flawless normal reverb.

Also the remote plunger has a noticeable wiggle but very minor cosmetic damage (did notice the rubber cover was not attached at the base though).

Wondering if a basic service will sort it as it’s just the brass pins with a lack of lubrication or it’s going to be a world of pain?

raisinhat
    Free Member

Is it a 150mm drop? I know my stealth 150 has always felt a bit rough, far more than my regular routed 125. Even after getting a brand new replacement from sram it’s not exactly buttery smooth. I was talking to my lbs and they said that pretty much all the 150s feel that way, it certainly wasn’t damaged inside.

I’m sure that the one you’ve bought could use a service – it might be pretty dry inside. Also possibly check your seatclamp torque – reverbs can be sensitive to over tightening. You could try slacking it off a little bit at a time and see if the roughness improves.

andyl
    Free Member

it’s a 125 31.6 stealth (black collar and adjuster) vs my 125 31.6 conventional (silver collar and adjuster.

Seat clamp was the first thing I checked and it’s barely even clamping (just nipped up enough to stop it moving down when pushed).

Thought it felt bad by hand but can even feel it through my arse when trying it.

tillydog
    Free Member

You could try a basic *service* to clean out and re-grease the mechanical parts – The stealth version of this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBAHcrOVps4[/video]

The hydraulic circuit isn’t disturbed*, so no special bleed tools,are needed. The basic service kit (~£10) has a spare inner bushing which (allegedly) is the first thing to wear and give play. (N.B. will not cure “sag” issues).

*On the non-stealth, at least – would need to confirm that this is also the case for the stealth.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Back off the frame clamp. Mine was like that because it was too tight.

C

darrenspink
    Free Member

My stealth is a bit rough and I have to put more weight towards the front of the saddle to pus it down. Still rocks though.

GeForceJunky

What ChrisE said, check you’re not doing the seat clamp up too tight, they can be quite sensitive to over tightening.

andyl
    Free Member

Seat clamp was the first thing I checked and it’s barely even clamping (just nipped up enough to stop it moving down when pushed).

Have had the clamp at the bare minimum along with fibre grip. If I back it off any more then it will push down into the frame when trying to lower the post let alone ride it.

It seems to get worse after being left a while and frees up after being used. Definitely seems a bit goosed.

No sag, just a bit of play. I had seen an online article of a stealth where there had been a load of mud in the seat tube and it gets into air holes on the bottom. I am suspicious the remote is leaking a bit too.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Maybe it just needs a service, any decent shop should be able to do it in house.

darrenspink
    Free Member

It seems to get worse after being left a while and frees up after being used

Sounds like mine.

Out of interest if you loosen the collar is it better or worse?

andyl
    Free Member

Maybe it just needs a service, any decent shop should be able to do it in house.

I’ve made a point of buying all the little rockshox tools for servicing them at home now they have come down in price so going to have a go myself. I figure if I only run reverbs and learn how to sort them then I should be able to keep them running nicely and not have any expensive bills on top of service kits.

Sounds like mine.

Out of interest if you loosen the collar is it better or worse?

The top seal collar? not tried that. seat tube clamp is as loose as can possibly be with just enough clamping to stop the post sliding down when compressing by hand. Not touched it as waiting for the seller to reply. I suspect I will be sorting it myself though. Definitely not “excellent working order”. Was down at 150psi too so hopefully there is not an air leak. I’ve got a spare new remote so can try that too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Reverb stealth feels rough – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.