Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • reverb not working out
  • astura
    Free Member

I’m not sure if this is working out for me anymore – I have had a RS rever 150mm drop for the past 2 years, I originally had it fitted to an Orange five 18″ which was a small frame for me being 6ft 2/3, but never really had many issues with it when jumping going over drops etc.

I now have it fitted to a Large Whyte g150 and I’m finding that even when lowere going over certain jumps drops, I get whacked in the butt by the seat (which sometimes takes my feet of the pedals) because its not going low enough, I cant find another reverb anywhere that goes lower than 150mm.

The solutions I see it are:
    1. Keep the reverb and wait to be buckaroo`d
    2. Go back to a manual seat post which I can drop all the way down

I currently don’t have a quick release seat clamp so dropping it manually is an allen key job, but the only way I can see a way round it is to drop it, then get a quick release seat clamp and drop it further.

Any ideas??

kayak23

Get a quick release clamp.
    Must be the geometry of the newer frame.

dmorts

Is it actually the Reverb or could it be the rear suspension tuning? Ie it’s under damped and buckarooing you?

maxtorque

I still use a QR seat post clamp with all my droppy seat posts.

For XC riding, jack the post up and high, and you can drop it enough for most XC obstacles. For DH, slam it down into the frame, so it’s right out the way, but you can still put it up just high enough to be able to pedal to the uplift bus at the bottom of the run…. 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Vecnum do a 200mm dropper & 9point8 have one in the pipeline.

astura
    Free Member

I don’t think s the suspension, because something I can feel myself when jumping or dropiing having to get over the back of the seat

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The cause is that your new frame is bigger than your old frame . Dropper posts that drop more than 150mm are like hens teeth . I think you really need to adapt your riding style a bit .

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Double post

astura
    Free Member

Not sure how I would adapt style

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Work out why it’s hitting you, what’s different, why is the bike rising so fast to meet you? Is your rebound too fast?

astura
    Free Member

Worth a try, i never mess with my rear shock, I have no idea how its set, interesting to see what I have it set as, I pressume I would want it to return slower?

Northwind

Different bikes feel different for seatpost drop… I have a 150m on the big bike and it’s not really as much as I would like, on the fatbike 150mm feels generous, on the hardtail 125mm feels more than adequate. I guess it’s just got to be the shapes I’m throwing but that those are influenced by how the bike rides.

Longer drop seatposts would be great tbh. Vecnum are still having trouble with manufacturing otherwise I’d be all over that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

First read one of the good guides online explaining how suspension works, then start trying things. Slower rebound may be good so try 2 clicks and see. A full sus with a badly set shock is a waste.

JAG

Obviously you’ve already checked that your seatpost is still dropping the full 150mm? 😆

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Get a qr and drop the whole post when doing big descents! i doubt it’s anything to do with your suspension 🙂 got to love this forum sometimes.

You’re getting bucked by the saddle hitting your ass which you’re not used to. So the saddle is too high.

I always drop my reverb with the qr, even 30-40mm can make a huge difference and let you really move and work the bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i doubt it’s anything to do with your suspension got to love this forum sometimes

As the OP has left it as it came out of the box it could be to do with that. Along with other things. Working out why involves just that not just making assumptions.

STATO
    Free Member

Get a qr and drop the whole post when doing big descents! i doubt it’s anything to do with your suspension got to love this forum sometimes.

You’re getting bucked by the saddle hitting your ass which you’re not used to. So the saddle is too high.

You doubt its anything to do with his suspension, instead your suggesting its just his saddle is now somehow too high, despite it being the same seatpost and him not dropping it by QR in his previous frame? No sorry you’ll have to explain that one to me.

OP, if you’ve not set your rear suspension you really need to look at that. However the G150 will be quite different in geometry than your smaller older orange, its likely the reach to the bars is much more, so dropping behind the saddle now requires a stretch. This new long trend requires a different riding style and it takes time to get used to it and get the confidence. Its more about getting the body low and keeping central (to make sure the front wheel still has the same amount of weight over it as the older shorter bikes).

Personally im struggling to get used to this type of geo. If I consciously think about it im fine (diving into a corner at speed while leaning further forward than I am used to feels weird and a little scary), however get surprised by something and to lean back tends to be the natural reaction and this can make things worse and as you say, you can get hit by the saddle.

astura
    Free Member

Its a strange one,, i think the easy way out of it is to drop the saddle to the floor, but im keen to not have to keep using a QR to drop my post and ue the reverb for what its used for, so i will definetly take a look at my shock.

Its the jumps and the big drops that concern me more than anything at the moment, i was at revolution a few months ago and got bucked to a point that my stomach was on my saddle and i was supermaning down a shute!
    Went to BPW on Saturday and didn’t want to do some of the drops purely because i was expecting to get bucked, managed some but clipped the saddle a few times.

I have got 160mm forks up front so you would think that would make the angles slighty lower at the rear but i would say iv got 4-5inchs of reverb sticking out the seattube at the mo to make it comfy for the XC bits.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘reverb not working out’ is closed to new replies.