Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Reverb has fore-aft play. Shopping and servicing advice needed
  • Cheezpleez

My Reverb is about a year old and has noticeable fore and aft play.

Sounds like I need to replace the bushing that sits in the top cap. It looks reasonably straightforward from the YouTube vids but I have a couple of questions…

Where’s the cheapest place to get the parts? Bike-discount.de have the top cap and bushing only for about £26 plus delivery. UK places seem only to sell a complete service kit for £45 quid odd.

Can I get away with the top cap only? Or should I do the full service while I’m at it?

Anyone done this and can pass on real-world wisdom?

Ta

Cheezpleez

Bump. Surely I’m not alone …

Cheezpleez

dlr

Mine is also like this and needs quite a whack to move. My 1 year older only servicd once ks post is fine…

Think the whole top bit was out of stock at the uk importers a couple of weeks ago when I emailed tf tuned about it, might be around now although if cheaper from germany that’s good

extremenik
    Free Member

You are best buying the Reverb basic seal kit from Tf or Loco for about £8. In this you also get the lower bush as well and all the seals you need when changing the topcap.

With both the Topcap and Lower bush it will take as much fore and aft play that you can.

Got my Topcap from Bikediscount and it took 2 days to come.

Nick

dlr

cheers Nick

ndthornton
    Free Member

fore play is good fun!
    Not sure about aft play – sounds a little unnecessary

Cheezpleez

An update: bought a top cap from bikediscount.de and fitted it after watching a YouTube vid. All went smoothly and no more play. Yeeha!

I didn’t bother with the lower seal kit but I probably should have.

The hardest part is undoing the lower seal head; I used a couple of blocks of wood drilled with a groove and lined with inner tube to grip the internal shaft.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got to do mine as well so thanks for the tips !

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What did you do about the keys? You need to buy them at specific lengths but how do you know until you disassemble?

Cheezpleez

Didn’t replace the keys, just the top cap. I had a little bit of rotational play but it’s all-but gone after replacing the top cap.

Another tip – stick the post back in the frame to undo the top cap, it’s much better than a vice.

glen815
    Free Member

You have a two year warranty so why not use it?

extremenik
    Free Member

Glad you sorted it.

I may be wrong but warranty will cover defects and I guess like a car it has to be serviced at the right intervals to cover any defects. As all the above is wear and tear it may not be covered anyway!

Bottom bush and keys come in the full service kit.

Once you have been inside to where the keyways are you can understand that this chamber will need to be greased regular- which will help to prevent wear.

Cheezpleez

Does the full service kit include the top cap bushing and seal?

LoCo
    Free Member

All seals, keys etc but not the bush for the collar (silver or black) but you do get the bush for the inner seal head that will reduce play too.

st

So it was a straightforward job then?

My Reverb needs some tlc but I got scared off by the 4 part you tube video series which left me thinking that I’d be better sending the post away when I’ve got 80 quid spare!

scruff
    Free Member

You find out and let me know.

Cheezpleez

It’s not especially tricky, in the same league as servicing forks. As said above, the hardest part is gripping the internal shaft securely without knackering it.

Having done it once, I’d be happy to do it again.

st

Hmmm, ta.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So it’s the topcap that’s responsible for the play but you can’t just replace the bush? You have to buy the whole £40 sub assembly?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Am I missing something? If it’s a year old, why didn’t you send it back to fisher? Their warranty department is rather good, I sent mine back recently and got a brand new replacement, despite it actually being over the warranty period. That warranty is worth the initial outlay IMO.

robarnold
    Free Member

Turnaround at Fishers is at least 14 days. I’ve sent 5 Reverbs back this year after failures so know it well unfortunately.

If the OP hasn’t got a replacement post then this means two weeks without a bike, as opposed to a couple of hours in the garage doing it himself.

That might have something to do with it. They’re dead easy to service yourself if you have the correct tools

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I got a second hand seat post off here for a tenner, my reverb was away for 5 days, via my lbs. that’s what the warranty is for.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Reverb has fore-aft play. Shopping and servicing advice needed’ is closed to new replies.