Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • revelations….. oil in neg air cap.
  • alpin
    Free Member

felt the revs could do with a bit of a tweak. turned the bike over and opened the neg air cap and it was full of oil.

anyone else experienced this? the forks still work but i’m a little conscious that i’ll only notice a prob re. oil levels when it’s too late.

open them up and give ’em a service? new schrader valve?

thanks

Rickos
    Free Member

No worries. Just make sure you have the bike upside down when you put air in the negative and it pushes it back in. My Pikes do it too. Just one of those things I think.

nukeproof
    Free Member

What rickos said and from TFT FAQs…

When I alter the negative air pressure in my air fork, there’s oil at the valve. How can I stop this?

The oil is lube from the air chamber which collects at the bottom of the fork during use. To prevent the oil weeping, simply tip the fork upside-down before checking/altering the negative air pressure.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

…but, if you loose 1ml or 2ml or oil each time this happens, does it eventually become a problem?

nukeproof
    Free Member

…but, if you loose 1ml or 2ml or oil each time this happens, does it eventually become a problem?

Depends how often you adjust the air pressure…if its once a week, I guess it could be a problem eventually. For me, once set they should be good for awhile plus once bitten, twice shy…turn the bike upside before adjusting

alpin
    Free Member

thanks guys.

RicB

I doubt you’ll lose 1ml each time, more likely it’ll be 1/4 of 1ml. Topping up the oil is easy:

Buy some 5wt oil, unscrew the barrel of your shock pump, squirt in 5ml (oral syringe from a chemist is best for this), screw the barrel back on and then squirt the oil into the air chamber using the shock pump.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘revelations….. oil in neg air cap.’ is closed to new replies.