Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Revelations not locking out
  • remedy7
    Free Member

Ive stripped down my Revelation Rls, regreased and oiled all parts including the damper unit and built the forks up again. Still got the original problem of the forks feeling too soft, they go through too much travel both when fully open and locked out?
    Anyone know what could be causing this?
    Thinking I might need to replace the damper unit but it looked fine when I took it apart.

k1ngjas
    Free Member

when I’ve had issues with failure to lock-out after a service, I’ve found putting approx 10ml more oil in the damper fixed it.

I’ve had it on around 3 forks (Fox and Rockshox). Followed the ‘recommended’ oil capacities to the letter but no joy. Added a bit more, no more lock-out issues and no other effects seen either.

Might be worth a try as you can always syringe a bit out again after.

legend
    Free Member

Are these ones with the flood gate adjuster along with the big blue compression adjuster? If so, there must be some flood gate wound on to allow the lockout to do its thing. If it’s not this setup then feel free to ignore

remedy7
    Free Member

Ill give putting a bit more oil in the damper a shot. Like you say I can always take some out if it doesnt help. Seems to be a common issue with rockshox forks in the forums here

nickdavies

If they are circa 2012 then the most likely cause is you’ve followed the wrong oil level instructions – rs changed things around then and it’s easy to think youve got a certain year fork and it’s different. Check the model number under the crown to confirm this. I’ve done it myself before.

If that’s all correct then you can check the motion of the lockout by pulling the damper gently out, letting it drain into the fork so you keep the same oil level, then make sure the valve at the bottom is working correctly, you’ll see a metal valve covering an opening in the bottom, it needs to properly close that valve when locked out. I had one that wasn’t closing once, had to strip the top of the damper down to correct it.

If they’re blowing through travel easily can you alter the air pressure to counter this and are they solo or dual air?

remedy7
    Free Member

They are the 2015/2016 model solo airs. I had to realign the silver part at the bottom of the damper when I took them apart as it wasnt lining up properly with the space for lockout. I will check again for alignment when I try to top up oil again. I have read that the oil charts are a bit off on tge rockshox site. I also tried putting more air in the forks but had the same problem even way up at 170psi, I weigh 175 pounds too.

qwerty
    Free Member

IIRC – RE: oil height – Advice from TFTuned was that the damper should just make contact with the oil once threaded in – so you can check this by measuring damper length V oil height in leg.

remedy7
    Free Member

Could you simply measure it by just screwing the damper in then removing it and seeing if the bottom of the damper is wet with oil then?

qwerty
    Free Member

yes, or better still, just dip a vernier, spoke or pen etc to gauge the depth of oil

remedy7
    Free Member

Great ill try that then top up with oil if needed

qwerty
    Free Member

My SRAM 2015 Solo Air Rev PDF states:

volume 134ml / 82-88mm -/+2mm

. IIRC TF said 85mm.

remedy7
    Free Member

Thats what I found on the SRAM site too, I originally topped up 134ml. Ill try top it up a bit more and measure it after. Trying all the alternatives before buying a service kit or a new damper unit

k1ngjas
    Free Member

Just adding some notes following a service of some Fox Float 32 RL forks (open bath type) for those investigating failure to lockout in future.

Fox Oil Volumes for this fork state 160ml in the damper side. I followed this to the letter.
    Result – no lockout after service.
    Action – added a bit more oil (approx 5ml) – Now locks out perfectly.

I’ve concluded that the specified oil volume given by the manufacturer is the perfect amount to just about give lockout. What this volume does not take into account for the home mechanic is the small amount of loss in the measuring vessel and/or syringe used to inject the oil.

Therefore, read the manufacturers specified volume, add a bit and you’ll have perfect lockout. Has worked for me on several Rockshox forks and now also on Fox.

Top tip is not to add too much. Although you’ll be guaranteed to improve lockout, you’ll be reducing travel and potentially causing other unwanted side effects with the increased oil pressure!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Revelations not locking out’ is closed to new replies.