Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Revelation RCT3 Damper Issue
  • fathomer

I very recently bought the wife a second hand set of the above forks from 2014 for her new bike. They’d had a lower service and check by the sellers LBS prior to the sale and all seemed well when they arrived and for the first three rides.

She came home yesterday from a weekend away and now the three position dial is stuck and can’t be turned, plus the low speed compression dial just spins and spins (with clicks). I assume this means that the damper is toast? Or at least the lock out part?

If they are knackered and I assume this is the case, I have a set of the same forks but 26” flavor that I was going to sell. I assume I can just lift the damper out of one fork and drop it in the other whilst adding some new 5wt oil?

Just to be clear, I’ve no issue with the seller, buying second hand is luck of the draw so no pitch forks unfortunately

bedfo
    Free Member

I’ve just had a revelation issue similar to this and found some stuff on google. Mine turned out to be a dodgy seal on the rebound shaft effectively draining the damping oil into the lowers causing the lockout adjuster to stop working but not jam. Whilst hunting I found some stuff relating to your specific issue… have a look here (although I’m not convinced the chipped part would cause the issue, mine was also nicked slightly

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rockshox-revelation-rct3-lockout-problems-help-needed

This thread solved my issue and there is some stuff in here about springs that’s also interesting

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/3-rides-rock-shox-revelation-lockout-not-working-817103.html

the good news is that the damper comes out easily and you can check for the spring problem or nicked part easily before sending it off.

Cheers

A

jairaj

Cant help about fixing the damper but replacement should be easy.

undo the screws / nuts on the adjustment dials, take them off to reveal the top cap for the damper. Then use a spanner or socket to remove the damper. Double check dampers are same length and pop the working one in.

If the damping oil is fresh then no need to replace. Just let the damper drain out fully while taking it out and you should be fine.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I had exactly the same thing with mine.
    It’s nearly impossible to explain it here but it is an easy fix once you understand!!! (it’s the ‘forky’ bit in the 6th photo getting stuck).
    This is a good article showing how it works
    Initially I just disassembled mine and then rebuilt it without knowing the cause.Which worked for a while until it happened again.Then I took some time to figure out how the Rct damper operates and saw how to fix it permanently.

fathomer

Thanks chaps, think I might just swap the dampers over, then once it’s out try and work out why it’s not working.

Rorschach – not sure which pic you mean, this one and the bit toward the rear?

alexs96
    Free Member

My dad had a similar issue with his revelation. It was a super simple fix. The very small bolt that help the dials on had become loose and allowed the CTD lever to skip and few teeth and had therefore “lost” its lock out setting as the crown now stopped it rotating all the way and the dampening dial just spun.

TLDR: Simply take the small bolt off and put the lever back where it should be then make sure the bolt is on tight.

Hope this helps

shifter
    Free Member

Bookmarked as this will help me too, thanks all.

fathomer

So thanks to Rick Draper of this parish, there now fixed 😀

I think Rorschach was eluding to the same thing, but basically the two very small bolts and washers that you can see at the back of the pic I posted had come undone and fell out.

Put back together with a dab of loctite and some fresh oil (which is a pain to measure as the syringes I used seemed to add far to much) and they seem to be doing what they should.

remedy7
    Free Member

Having similar trouble with my Revelation Rl solo airs. Ive taken them apart including the motion control damper and built them back up. My lockout isnt working fully and there seems to be too much travel when fully locked. The forks arent bottoming out but are going through too much travel when fully open too. Could this be a seal? Ive regreased and changed oil.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Revelation RCT3 Damper Issue’ is closed to new replies.