Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • "reveal"
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Just been reading the news (probably my first mistake).

“XYZ school was first to reveal it would not open tomorrow”

WT actual F is that about. They haven’t revealed anything, it’s not as if schools have been hiding the fact that they aren’t closing on this particular day only to bring it out the bag to an audience on the edge of their seats. This is not a magic show where we get a ‘reveal’ at the end. It is not an Agatha Christie murder mystery where we get a ‘reveal’. Nor is it a set of hidden drawers in an antique writing desk where you press a button disguised as an inkwell to ‘reveal’ them. It is not… I’ll stop now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Got to be in it, to win it … innit

P-Jay
    Free Member

Worse things happen at sea.

wwaswas

football clubs always seem to unveil their new managers too.

Like they’ve been at the side of a room with a dust sheet over them overnight waiting for Del off of Eastenders to turn up and pull a handle.

theotherjonv

Agree completely.

You don’t reveal stuff like that, you should unveil it.

jimdubleyou

Perhaps it was written in that bit between the windows and the wall.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure the school should announce it.

Actually, I’m fairly sure the school should man up and open. We’ve had an inch of snow which has been snowploughed and gritted into submission, and travelling isn’t a big deal. Nor is heating the place when the temperature is, well, positive, and they have central heating.

Obviously that’s a complete hijack of my own thread though.

wwaswas

80% of pupils at my wife’s school get transport (minibuses) from all over the city.

Her school is on a steep hill.

If the transport company say they either can’t pick kids up safely or negotiate the hill to/from the school then the school closes. The school has never closed when the transport company has said they’ll operate.

(just saying it’s not always the school’s fault, really)

NewRetroTom

Yes there seems to be a set of words that journalists use which read very awkwardly, but just about get the message across.

Also “slam” as in “local mum slams irresponsible youths”.

And “probe” as in “police leader announces probe into tomfoolery”.

wwaswas

police leader announces probe into tomfoolery

Poor Mr Foolery.

theotherjonv

(c) Phoenix Nights

Police Probe Leeds Girl’s Snatch

wiggles
    Free Member

My kids school was open today as the school play was one for the little ones, surprisingly it seemed everyone made the effort to turn up. I live a 5 minute walk away so no issue for me but judging by the amount of people that drive there everyday I assume they all live many miles away 😉

maccruiskeen

This is not a magic show where we get a ‘reveal’ at the end. It is not an Agatha Christie murder mystery where we get a ‘reveal’. Nor is it a set of hidden drawers in an antique writing desk where you press a button disguised as an inkwell to ‘reveal’ them. It is not… I’ll stop now.

Its just a bit of self aggrandisement by the journalist. ‘Reveal’ suggests its information that came to light through research, questioning and investigation, that this information wouldn’t have made it into the public domain if our eagle eyed hack hadn’t shone the torch of truth in the deputy head’s face and demanded they go public.

Basically they have to fill the day trying to make it look like their job is one of pinning things on a noticeboard.

scaredypants

They often use admitted when they ought to go with stated, too

Worse IMO, since it gives the impression of some level of “guilt” or withholding information

Don’t start me on “refute”, accepted usage or not

nickc

Barry, 36 a consultant from West Yorkshire, revealed that he too gets annoyed by news headline tropes, our sources confirmed today.

lunge

Sounds like you’ve been bare triggered. Language evolves fam, chill.

theotherjonv

A tall brummy desk-jockey has been panned for his appropriation of kid-speak.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘"reveal"’ is closed to new replies.