Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rev RLT Ti 2011 problem – help
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Got some dual position airs about 6 weeks ago. Lovely fork and a definite improvement on my old Pikes.

Was riding last night and noticed at “top out” clunk if that makes sense. Depress the fork and let them rebound and there’s a slight clunk at the top of the travel. Rocking the bike back and forward with the front brake on sounds like a loose headset (it isn’t) but depress the forks slightly and it goes away.

It may or may not not effect the fork performance, but they weren’t like that out of the box, so something’s going on inside there.

Any ideas?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Have you checked the headset as depressing the forks will remove play in the headset too. Check for pad movement too. Also check your oil levels too as mine were nearly empty from new as well as rebound speed set too high.

michaelbowden

Hi

I’ve got a pair of 2011 World Cups, they are doing the same. The play seems to be bush play at max extension, possibly not enough overlap? As soon as you sag the fork at all or have them in the shorter travel position it’s not there.

nixie

My pikes do this too, very annoying.

cheeseburger
    Free Member

can you feel any bushing movement?

I had a top out clunk on mine, cured by emptying the air chambers, then refilling the pos before the neg. I don’t have any bushing wobble in mine though.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cheeseburger, Solo air on dual position Revs so not possible on this version.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of 2011 World Cups, they are doing the same. The play seems to be bush play at max extension, possibly not enough overlap? As soon as you sag the fork at all or have them in the shorter travel position it’s not there.

Yup, exactly that. It might be just knocking against a stop at max travel which would be OK. If it’s slight bush play at max travel you just have to believe it will make them wear very quickly. Never noticed it until last night which leads me to think it’s a fault.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

So, any thoughts on whether it really is a problem, or do I ignore it and hope it’s just an interesting “feature” of Reve dual airs?

craigxxl
    Free Member

My Revs RLT Ti Dual Air don’t make any clunking noises. Check the oil level.

ivantate
    Free Member

Not quite the same, but they may be made in the same way, i have a set of Recons that do exactly the same. At the bottom of the damper rod there is a threaded section that is swaged on so you can fasten the lowers on. This bit has play in it causing the fork to almost rattle at times. Sounds terrible going over slightly rough ground now although they are a bit older than yours.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

craigxxl, how old are yours, and are they dual position airs? I think the internals on the dual positions are different to the standard dual airs as they have no separate negative chamber.

Interesting thought about the oil. Would this cause them to clunk? I thought the oil just lubricated the bushings

meribelmtb
    Free Member

The clunk on my 2011 revelation dual air uturns proved fatal and they ended up going back to RS to be sorted.

They seem to work alright now but much higher pressure than recommended to get the best out of them. When they work they’re great but when they don’t they are a pain.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Less than 3 months old. The lower leg oil does the lubricating of the bushes and the upper leg/damper err damping.

The lower legs take 15w and about 8ml
    The damper takes 5w and about 130ml
    The exact quantities are in the tech manual on their website.

Both oils were very low on mine. Very little came out of the legs and just over half of what should have been in the damper. I only did my Revs because I’d lowered the Lyrics on the other bike and found them in similar situtation not because either clunked. Once both forks had been done and the bushes greased up they were much better.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Ah interesting. I wonder if it’s low on the damper oil. I’d noticed that the compression damping knob didn’t seem to have much effect so perhaps that’s it.

Is it a big deal to take them apart and refill? I do most things on my bike but taking brand new forks apart makes me a bit nervous

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not really. I hadn’t done them before only the lower legs and I just took the laptop in the garage watching SRAM’s videos on you tube and followed that. Only problem I had was with the circlips as my pliers are those useless changeable head ones, I now have proper internal and external circlip pliers. I would suggest buying a measuring tube (£2.50 ebay)for the oil as it’s a faff using syringes 10ml at a time for the damper. Try and get a smidge of suspension grease of a LBS as it’s expensive for how little you use.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Am I going to do any damage to my forks if I run them for a week before getting the oil levels checked? There is at least some lubricating oil in there as there’s plenty on the stanchions.

I’m just a bit nervous about taking a brand new pair of forks apart myself, and I bought them online, so would have to take them off and send them back to get the supplier to check them

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rev RLT Ti 2011 problem – help’ is closed to new replies.