• This topic has 54 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Retrofolk..any idea what this is?
  • bearnecessities

I’m fairly sure it’s not what the guy’s listed it as, but it’s got some nice routing and my ignorant eye think it looks ti?

Sorry for scant details, but I’m probably going to take a punt on it.

qwerty
    Free Member

Marin? or Saracen? There was a faze to make steel look like Ti so could be that.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hang on, are you going to get back into riding then?

bearnecessities

I am missing it a bit yes, but budget dictates scouring for some retro bargains. Not riding any old tat 🙂

Know what you mean qwerty, but something about that seat tube….and some of the detail.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My only input is it might be a UK brand from the reversed seat tube cutout.

See you on the towpath 😉

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Late 90’s Saracen Kili Ultra Ti? Sure they had the cable routing like that
    Edit: nah, google image shows different/extended top tube thro’ seat tube, not that then

sillyoldman

Looks like it might be one of those horrible things Merlin used to do with decent tubesets (looks like the Tange Prestige one) but with god awful geometry.

bearnecessities

(I actually had my biggest off on a towpath!)

It’s really bugging me; I’m sure it’s something special with a mash of components..

Bregante

Cable routing is similar to the Saracen. Top and seat tube look a but different though

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63063

bearnecessities

It’s that canti thing that’s at the top of the seat stay that seems would be biggest clue – if I knew!

mucker

What’s that say at the top of the r/h seatstay? Phone screen too small to define.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC there were a number of brands and non brands that made (nickel?) plated frames very similar to this.

The cable routing is unusual and doesn’t remind me of any known brand, maybe an import/mail order one?

mucker

Think I’ve got it, try Raleigh torus ti. retrobike

midlifecrashes

Have you tried it with a magnet? They don’t stick to Ti, do they?

Don’t agree with the Raleigh, wishbone seatstays, flat rear dropout with bridge/cutout.

mucker

Cancel that, r/h dropout detail is different.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not ti, not with an Alivio crank on.

Jamis I am thinking.

toppers3933
    Free Member

My first thought was a Marin. My second was a kona.

bearnecessities

It’s many miles away from me and seller hasn’t got back to an email, yet.

AARGH! Cheers for continued efforts 🙂

I nearly wet myself a minute ago when I thought it was a Fat Chance Ti (for about 6 seconds)

By the same token, you wouldn’t have routing detail like that on a frame with an alivio chainset 🙂 It’s also got XT elsewhere.

docrobster
    Free Member

My ’94 khs had cable routing like that all along the side of the top tube. Not the same dropouts though…

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

It’s definitely not what it’s listed as, and going by the corrosion around the seat clamp it’s definitely steel. Bargain for the money though – get it bought before someone else does!

RustyNissanPrairie

Parkpre?

bearnecessities

Yeah, probably not ti in that case…still though, it’s tempted me enough to take a gamble.

Wonder what the hell it is!

bearnecessities

Hmm, more facts. It’s got Ritchey dropouts.

pictonroad

I had a Claud Butler with that cable routing, seem to recall it being quite common?

Orange?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

They were built by ballistic in Taiwan and Mersin and a fair few other shops used to buy them in and brand them up you had the choice of tange prestige tubing with the plate drop outs or ritchey logic tubing and ritchey drop outs they were good frames for the cash but as has been said the geometry was a little hit or miss depending on if you liked it or not

cynic-al
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member

By the same token, you wouldn’t have routing detail like that on a frame with an alivio chainset It’s also got XT elsewhere[/quote]

Yes you do, frequently.

Many folk upgrade wee parts like brakes on a mediocre bike, they don’t downgrade parts like chainsets on a good one.

Anyway Cannondaleking has the best answer so far IMO.

bearnecessities

Chainset looked more modern than everything else though; not an Alivio expert 🙂
    Yup, remember all those Merlin jobs now and the finish – still failing to find one similar though…ah well, we’ll see.

Thanks all.

ninfan
    Free Member

Screams Merlin to me (as in Chorley, not Massechusets)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Some generic shop brand Ritchey thing – like All Terrain (Handsome Dog) etc did. Merlin did them too, and Ballistic.

bearnecessities

I’m sure it’s something special

My instincts appear to be a bit shite.

voodoo_chile

Parkpre

unovolo
    Free Member

I’d say its a 97′ Saracen Kili of some variety as the year earlier was when the frames still had pierced sets tubes(bit like GT’s.

The higher end frames where known to use Ritchey drop outs and fancier tubing such as Tange Prestige.

Headtube, cable guides and seat collar all look right, the only thing that’s a bit off is the rear guide for using cantilever brakes as that model year would most likely have had V brakes anyway, but Saracen were known for doing a bit of a mix and match on stuff.

If the price is right go for it, I have a earlier 94 Saracen Kili that’s really nice to ride.

jp-t853

It’s a ritchey wcs frame made for merlin lancs circa 1996. They retailed for £200 frame and fork iirc. I had one. They also sold a balistic one mentioned above but I think that had a fluted downtube and claimed to be lighter.

bikeneil
    Free Member

It’s got tiny wheels. Best off taking it down the tip.

bearnecessities

Thanks everyone. Seems worth a gamble for £100.

Just got to figure out how to get it from Brixton to Leeds!

racefaceec90

that looks like a nice bike bearnecessities 😀

if you are ever around devizes,we should go trail riding as i promised. i need to start riding again also.

will be starting a volunteering course of bike maintenance this tuesday at a local bike charity.am looking forward to it a lot actually.

have spied a few retro bikes in their workshop (a lovely late 80’s orange prestige for one thing).

bearnecessities

Hey, cheers mate. It’s wheels, which I oddly missed having, plus wheels I’d know how to service (love a quill stem) 🙂 ; see now if I can remember how to mince ride.

Volunteering jobbie sounds like a great opportunity, especially if you get to fettle with some retro goodness! Let us know how it goes.

mick_r

It definitely isn’t a Parkpre. My mrs rode for them – just checked old catalogues and they were all top of top tube for the cable routing. They also didn’t have a rear brake cable hanger on the seat stays (even pre-V brake they had a brake cable stop on the side of the seat tube).

It is probably a Merlin but still not 100% – if it is it must be a very early one with that rear brake hanger. We’ve got a resprayed old Prestige one with the Ritchey socket dropouts – it is top of top tube for cables (not side) and hasn’t got a rear brake hanger (1996 was start of V brakes).

bearnecessities

Cheers Mick, I’m pretty sure it’s not Ti now!

That said, I’m not entirety sure it’s the Lancashire hotbotch either; I’ve spent too much time today googling all options and I’ve not found one that matches. That said, I’ve noted jp-t853’s confidence in his analysis.

So it’s 400 mile round trip tomorrow to pick it up; can’t lose for really for £100 (plus £40 fuel).

I will be scrutinising for any clues!

duncancallum

Not a Saracens I’ve a 1998 kili n it’s completely different.

I’d say a Merlin Malt

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Retrofolk..any idea what this is?’ is closed to new replies.