Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Retired people moaning how hard it is
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Office workers, teachers, manual workers you have it easy

Went out and scraped ice off the wifes car, got the washing in and out on the line, emptied the bins and now waiting for the online shopping order to arrive.

Once the shopping is put away got to scan the web for some cheap rail fares for upcoming days out, then its over the local RSPB reserve to take some photos.

Not easy, but I will struggle on regardless 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

checked your hand recently TT?

😉

martinhutch

It’s alright, no-one will be paying for the NHS within 10 years, so you’ll be having your hip replaced in a shed.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

checked your hand recently TT?

I’m a runner

It’s alright, no-one will be paying for the NHS within 10 years, so you’ll be having your hip replaced in a shed.

Do you think pensions are tax free then?

martinhutch

Not at all, but there’s a lot more of you carefree long-lived buggers to fund, and a lot fewer younger people to pay the lion’s share of a rising bill. Enjoy your retirement!

binners

Ahem…

IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT!

😉

slackalice
    Free Member

Thankfully, it sounds like you can still wipe your own butt. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2hgAsi8Ae4[/video]

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Not quite sure how i’m such a burden, eleven years before I receive a state pension.

Been fully employed for nigh on forty years, receive no benefits whatsoever and pay tax on pension payments.

binners

martinhutch

Now then, from your OP I thought this was going to be a lighthearted teasing thread, rather than:

They do say retirement does that you pretty much straight away.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

It was meant to be hence the irony and smiley, but so much bitterness

Don’t recall feeling like that in my younger days and was really happy when my poor old now departed dad could retire

Back to the more light hearted theme, seem to have developed a liking for heritage steam railways. Most are in lovely scenic places and serve real ale too along with very nice grub.

Went to the Worth Valley railway last week and was indeed a most pleasant experience, Ecclesbourne railway next which looks equally nice

Quick photo to whet the appetite

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Young people today eh, so rude and inconsiderate.

martinhutch

I’m not bitter. Just mildly jealous, so don’t worry. Sorry if it sounded like that, probably needed a smiley or two.

binners

Basically we’re all just jealous because we’ll all be working until we outlive our usefulness, then humanely killed and turned into animal feed, because you lot spent all the money, then sold the rest of us down the river

Hence the bitterness 😛

brakes
    Free Member

Went out and scraped ice off the wifes car, got the washing in and out on the line, emptied the bins and now waiting for the online shopping order to arrive.

that doesn’t sounds quite right, shouldn’t you be queuing in the post office, or riding round on the bus, or stopping randomly in the street to shout at the pavement?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

shouldn’t you be queuing in the post office, or riding round on the bus, or stopping randomly in the street to shout at the pavement?

PO too damp and smells of wee, no free bus pass until i’m 66 and been doing the latter for years so bored of that now. Did consider sitting in the library to save on heating bills (no heating allowance either) but full of noisy kids 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Spent all my life earning money and paying taxes, only for you lot to vote in politicians who urinate it up a wall.

kimbers

problem is slowoldgit you didnt pay enough now us younguns are suffering because you had it easy for too long

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Spent all my life earning money and paying taxes, only for you lot to vote in politicians who urinate it up a wall.

On that theme I went and picked up my beer last night, thanks again for bringing it down from Eggland.

Tap.

alpin
    Free Member

i think the generation above mine (i’m 31) are the golden generation….

never again will we be able to accumulate so much wealth/equity in the form of housing and never again will the pension pots be so full. i will be very suprised if when i reach retirement age that i will be offered the same amount of care FOC. i don’t think that many from my generation will be able to retire at the same age retirees do now.

and with older people being the ones who go to vote the situation isn’t going to change any time soon.

binners

Alpin – I’d set the age much higher. I reckon if you’re under 50 then ‘retirement’ as we see it now will not exist, and will be viewed as a quaint anachronism that a gilded generation enjoyed. I’m in my 40’s and in all honesty, i don’t think anyone but a tiny minority of people my age will be able to enjoy a retirement that bares even a passing resemblance to our parents generation

The ‘retirement age’ will be steadily raised until the state pension effectively no longer exists. Its at this point that everyone will realise that the pension schemes they’ve been paying into all their lives have been a massive con, and are effectively worthless

Sometihng to look forward to eh? 😥

MoreCashThanDash

Sick of hearing my parents moaning about the small increases in their pensions in recent years.

They get more than I earn. As the wife and I are public servants no pay rise for 4 years, whilst paying for the ever spiralling cost of their darling grand children

fasthaggis

Good luck to you OP.
    I hope a nice young person got your old job.

PS ,Can anyone smell cabbage ?

😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

pay tax on pension payments.

Ummm you do know that you shouldn’t be paying tax on any contributions you make to a pension scheme. It might be coming off your net pay if it is a private pension but all basic rate tax should be claimed and be put into your pension fund. Any additional tax (if you pay tax at a higher rate that is) you should be reclaiming as part of your annual tax return.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Good luck to you OP.I hope a nice young person got your old job

So do I
    Where I worked many people carried on even though they had finished paying in for a full pension, same ones moaned about how their offspring couldn’t find a job.

Ummm you do know that you shouldn’t be paying tax on any contributions you make to a pension scheme. It might be coming off your net pay if it is a private pension but all basic rate tax should be claimed and be put into your pension fund. Any additional tax (if you pay tax at a higher rate that is) you should be reclaiming as part of your annual tax return.

Perhaps I should have been clearer, they are payments to me from my pension which unfortunately are taxable over the standard allowance

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ kimbers – personally I did not have it easy. And on a lighter note, nearly half of that pie isn’t going to older people, there’s something wrong there, surely?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@TT – if you have time and energy, your nearest railway is almost certainly looking for volunteers. I find it fills a gap in my life, working outdoors in a team, that was left after I stopped working. You don’t need camera, tripod, notebook and a top pocket full of biros to fit in.

alpin
    Free Member

@ TT… what was the job?

@ binners, agreed.

my old man retired at 62 and is 70 now. he recieves something like 14k /year. no mortage since ~15 years. his brother jacked it in at 53 and is now 72. he made 6k last month on the stock market. tbf, he gives most of it away. is more like his hobby.

i can’t see that i’ll be as comfortable as them when i’m their age.

niether of them went to university and each of them bought their first house when they were in their early twenties. the increase in house prices meant they could upgrade with each move.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

@alpin- BT Engineer, started as an apprentice at 16 in 1975

@slowoldgit-My nearest one is the Nene Valley railway, but to be honest I am bit of a loner and not keen on teams or working anymore for that matter. Prefer a wander at new places with my camera (do have a tripod for landscapes, no notebook or biros though) and just doing my own thing.

Glad you enjoy it though and if you don’t mind me asking where do you volunteer?

footflaps

The way I see it there are two options for old age:

Option A, redistribution or wealth through the generations, no care homes needed

Option B, try and survive on a state pension:

slowoldgit
    Free Member

E Som, and spent a few days at the Strathspey last month. That was good, the new bridge went in and opens up more route for them. I didn’t get near the gert big crane, though.

In true stw style, one of the bonuses can be a boot full of firewood from trackside work.

jfletch
    Free Member

I say we need a bedroom tax for the over 60s.

Would either be a nice way of getting some of the money back from the golden generation or would add in a load of supply to the housing market due to downsizing meaning young families could actually afford to live in a family home.

footflaps

I say we need a bedroom tax for the over 60s.

We supposedly have this already in Council tax. Larger houses have a higher council tax…….

jfletch
    Free Member

We supposedly have this already in Council tax. Larger houses have a higher council tax…….

Not really – because families living in appropriately sized houses have to pay that as well. Increase council tax on larger properties and young families would suffer but wealthy retirees with no mortgage would hardly notice.

I think we need something even more punative, more targeted at wealthy old people living in inapprorately large houses. A real incentive to move on when they are able. Before they are too infirm and kicking them out of their house would be cruel.

It’s never going to happen though as it would be political suicide for anyone who tabled the idea.

plumber
    Free Member

I’m expecting to check out with a huge overdose of drugs in approximately 10 years – or less

footflaps

It’s never going to happen though as it would be political suicide for anyone who tabled the idea.

Not that I agree with your suggested policy, but whilst we have a higher percentage of pensioners who vote than 18-25 year olds, the whole political system will be pro-OAP at the expense of the younger generation, who obviously don’t mind that much as they can’t even be bothered to vote.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sick of hearing my parents moaning about the small increases in their pensions in recent years.

This. 100 percent this.

“ZOMG we need teh 250 you borrowed so that you could move to your new job…. to do the new bathroom tiles” Followed by the inevitable bitching and moaning about being teachers and how they havn’t got much of a pension.

BillMC

Sounds good TT. I’m in the same boat (train?) at the end of April and I’ve loads to keep me busy. Great Joy! Plus I’m freeing up my job for a younger person.

jfletch
    Free Member

who obviously don’t mind that much as they can’t even be bothered to vote.

Vicious circle though innit.

Young people don’t think they have any representation so they don’t vote.
    So because young people don’t vote, nobody sees it as beneficial to represent them.
    So young people don’t have any representation so they don’t vote.

and so on…

There are also a lot more old people and turkeys don’t vote for xmas. So basically we are screwed and we aren’t going to stop ourselves, no matter which polictical party is in power.

So it’s everyone for them selves, ride the bubble and make what you can while you can so you aren’t the one getting **** when then next crash comes.

(but don’t worry, I’m not suggesting the bedroom tax should be extended to sheds!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Retired people moaning how hard it is’ is closed to new replies.