• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Retailer renages on an order!!!!
  • delstron
    Free Member

I ordered a wheelset on Sunday morning, paid by Paypal £149, order confirmation back – no problems. Went away on business for three days.

Returned to find a mail sent on Monday – "Unfortunately your order has been brought into the office with a problem with the parts in the order…." Giving me the option to cancel or change the order within two days.

That time has now expired and they have cancelled the order and refunded.

This would be fine but THE WHEELSET IS STILL AVAILABLE AT A HIGHER PRICE (Now £207)

What does the STW forum think of this please?

I'm giving them tommorrow to honour the order before naming & shaming – this is not on.

barca
    Free Member

They don't have to sell anything to you if they don't want to. Their choice.

carlosg
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure a retailer has the right to not sell you an item if it has been incorrectly priced , even if it was them who got the price wrong.

Northwind

Yep, but lying about it is out of order. Saying "a problem with the parts in the order" when it's obviously "a problem with the price".

The legality of this gets a bit complicated with internet sites, the exact point at which they've accepted your offer and the sale is complete, is open to interpretation. An automated response isn't considered to be accepting the order but there's some precedent now stating that debiting your bank account IS, and once that's done the vendor is obliged to complete the sale barring frustration of contract. But, the law doesn't really deal with online sales well at all. The old "invitation to treat" vs "offer to treat" falls down a bit.

delstron
    Free Member

Not an error, I've been dithering for days and when I finally order, THE NEXT DAY they change the price!

tangobravo
    Free Member

Could be the price was correct onsite, but your cookie had the one in the basket as the old price.

Depends on their software.

but get over it, they can just refuse to sell anything to you. Its probbably because their supplier has bumped the price up and they are ordering them in to you.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

someone had this happen last week too

trail_rat
    Free Member

company in question probably carrys no stock of said wheels

went to order them on monday morning

found they had increased in price

decided that 57 quid was too much to absorb

gave you fair notice of their intentions

tails
    Free Member

yeah this seems to be happening alot take your business elsewhere CRC, wiggle, merlin

Ewan
    Free Member

With paypal the money goes straight away, therefore, they've accepted payment and should sell it you. The exchange of monies is the exchange of contract on the net… trading standards will confirm / deny.

hora
    Free Member

See what you mean OP. They could have handled it better.

On the flipside MTB-Direct listed a set of forks as buy-now on Ebay. I clicked on/completed and phoned with my card details. The Chap merely hinted he made a mistake on the price but would complete- not a problem. I tried quite a few times to help/correct it but he insisted. Said the price stands. He wouldnt budge. Man of principle.
    Heres their website: http://www.mtb-direct.co.uk/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Retailer renages on an order!!!!’ is closed to new replies.