Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Resurrecting a mobile phone
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

My boss returned from a weekends sailing with a dead blackberry. He fell in the sea with it in his pocket.
    Its completely dead. So I was thinking, if I soak it in some de-ionised water (as used for topping up car battery levels) to remove as much of the salts and then dry it out (drip dry then leave in a bag of rice) do you think it’ll work again?
    More of an experiment than anything.
    Anyone got any experience of bringing one back from the dead?

Cougar

You can generally (rule of thumb, handwavy) get away with that sort of thing if you isolate the power quickly enough at the time of the accident.

It can’t hurt to try, of course, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope.

Jamie
    Free Member

In the sea? I would imagine completely knackered due to the salt content.

z1ppy

I wouldn’t recommend put it back into any sort of water, as surely it doubtful the salt could get anywhere it’s gunna ‘block’ electricity…

If he didn’t turn it off quick, which is doubtful if he fell in the sea, I’d say it buggered and time to get rid of the POS and buy an iphone anyways*

*or just continue to try drying it out, then buy another…

z1ppy

Jamie, why does the salt content matter?
    (or are you being tongue in cheek)

bigyinn
    Free Member

I presume its to do with the conductivity?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What Jamie says, no harm trying, leave somewhere warm, I’m afraid my underpants are full.

bigyinn
    Free Member

lol @ al.
    Well I figured its worth a try. Nothing to lose so to speak, as he’s got his replacement already.
    thanks all.

Twin
    Free Member

Salt water is a better conductor of electricity then plain water due to the free movement of the sodium and chloride ions. either that or magic.

ericemel
    Free Member

Put it in dried rice – does a very good job of absorbing all moisture.

jam-bo

salt water is incredibly corrosive, add a bit of current in the boards/components will be ****.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Well i’ve partly dismantled the phone, flushed with de-ionised water and bunged it in a bag of Risotto rice (nicer texture). Can see some corrosion on some of the board mounts, so I dont hold out much hope.
    Might give it a good blast with some electrical contact cleaner once its dried out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I take it dried rice is just…well…rice?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yep, not a slang name for something else. The idea is it absorbs any moisture in the bag and draws it out also. I hope.

billysugger
    Free Member

You want to put your dead boss in a bag of rice!?

billysugger
    Free Member

sorry…my bad

billysugger
    Free Member

You could work for that promotion

BigJohn

Just spray everywhere with WD40. Really flood it. At first it looks like you’ve made the problem worse but after a few days it settles down.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Wont that rot the piston seals? 😛

bigyinn
    Free Member

Well that worked well, NOT. Hey ho.
    At least he’s got a good selection of spares if he drops his new one!

odannyboy
    Free Member

quelle suprise…. 😯

on the other hand some weirdo’s on ebay may want to buy spares, eg casing, screen etc…you might make back the 10 hours plus youve spent on it…oh, plus the cost of the rice (guess you can still eat it)

trail_rat
    Free Member

half assemble it and sell it on pink bike as mint 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

I would just ebay it as broken – amazing what broken electronic gear people will buy.

bigyinn
    Free Member

10 hours?? Half an hour tops, its a lot less faff than an iPhone, even if it is borked.
    I’ve said to the boss to keep it, in case he drops his and needs spares.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Resurrecting a mobile phone’ is closed to new replies.